THR My Intro...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My new OS measures standing up and clearly my pelvis is tilted showing a little LLD. The OS that did the surgery measured lying down and insisted he measured everything on the computer and there is no LLD :DOH:!

My 3 different PT's measurds lying down and said definately that I had an LLD. WHen I am not in pain, like when I was on Prednisone this summer, I do not limp at all. When I am in pain as I am now, I definately limp!

All I know is that anytime I have tried to us my little lift (sorry, I think it is 1/4 inch, but not sure) I have TERRIBLE back/side pain. In fact I didn't make the connection at first as to why I was having back problems. You see, I had back problems for years prior to the THR.

I finally stopped using the lift and my back/side pain issues went away, but it did take a few weeks to return to normal. I would say stop using the lift and see if the back issues don't resolve themselves.

You are still early on at 4 months. Just let things settle in for a while longer and see if your back doesn't settle down as well. Healing goes on for up to a year you know...

Let me know if it helps to stop using it.

Cardi,

Nice to meet you, I had and have a form of hip dysplasia (coxa valga). It was corrected on one hip, the same hip in which I've had to have 5 surgeries on, but not the other side (my good side) :what: Just don't know how that is possible but it is my good side and I've had no problems with it, thank goodness! I also had LLD after the first 4 surgeries on my operative side, it was very close to being 2 inches shorter. However, that was taken care of during my recent revision. Now since the recent surgery that leg feels strange like it's longer which it may be a hair longer but not enough to cause any future problems, and I know nothing has had time to settle in yet being 10 days post op.

I hope your SI and back pain lets up for you soon, are you using any type of aid while walking. Maybe if you go back to using a cane, you may feel it could help relieve the SI or back pain or both. If it does you might want to use it when possible and it's convenient for you to use, so that you get some relief. Just a thought, not sure if it would be something you would want to try or not, but I'd try it if I were you to see if it helps. It might be something that you feel you would be going backwards using it again if your not using it now, but it also could get you walking straighter and help you in the long run.

In any event, I hope your feeling better soon, and that you get some relief from the difficulties your experiencing.

Cardi, sorry I didn't read your post correctly.. you are still using the cane I see.

Hi Cardie,

I had a LLD of 5 cms pre-op and they made my leg longer by 3cms so I should have a leg difference of about 2cms. This is approximate as I haven't been measured properly. However, I was told that having a LLD of 2cms was within the normal range by my Physio and he said to not have a raise which I had previously.

As I'm still using a crutch my gait is not bad even though I can see the difference in Leg length, I would listen to what everyone has said and that is to let the LLD level out over time. By doing your exercises and stretching you will improve on the LLD and it may not seem so bad.

I'm not exactly sure of the LLD you have as you have done it in inches but it looks pretty minimal.

By using a lift it will effect your back so let yourself heal as much as poss. and then look again at whether you need a heel lift.

As said previously, with our hips it takes longer to heal.
Jyoti

Hi Everyone,

Well, I thought I got a message out yesterday in response to everyone's feedback but the little computer gremlins got to it first... so, I'll try again.

I had my leg length measurements done and there seems to be a difference of between 1/2" and 3/8" ( 1.27 cm to .9525 cm). I am going without the lift again and it feels pretty good plus my stride seems to be loosening up and that has helped!

Jaycey, I do find the chiropractor helps with my back but mostly my mid and upper back. I don't allow him to do the big twist for the lower back adjustment right now, he does use the activator on the SI areas. I am able to twist and get a release on the SI joint on both sides and do this myself during the day for relief. I keep the seat heater on in the car all the time as that feels good on my low back.

Special Lady, I do remember feeling like my leg (on the operated side) was longer after surgery and that settled down after a few weeks. I am not on the cane now but do keep it handy in the house and car in the event that I need it.

I still think that my hip joint is a bit limited in it's range of motion and that that is creating stress on my low back. I do have a bit of a twist to my spine from all the years of LLD (I didn't wear a lift until about 15 years ago). My hope/theory is that if I continue to go without the lift that maybe all those tight muscles in my back will stretch and extend as well -- like my leg has been.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Take care,
Cardie

:thumb: Good for you, Cardie!!!! Keep stridin'......

Well, I think I've answered my own question in terms of my progress. I've been in PT for six weeks now and it is going pretty well. My insurance co. authorized the first 8 visits and then another 8 visits. I would really like to have more PT as I have all the anomalies that come from having had congenital dysplasia -- meaning my recovery hasn't been "typical" or easy!

In preparation for possibly being refused another round of PT I had been thinking that I'll have to find a personal trainer to help me work out and get back to my own new normal. So, I called and spoke to the coordinator of this service at my local rec. center. After our chat I had the distinct feeling that I am not ready for a personal trainer as they probably don't really have much understanding of my predicament.

I do have to keep making progress, but feel like I need professional assistance for a while longer -- especially if this is going to take 6 months to a year! Wish me luck on getting some more PT from the insurance people.

Take care,
Cardie

I wouldn't worry about it, Cardie. Hips have a way of looking after themselves in the end. As long as you are walking some and maybe using an exercise bike some time shortly, you will be fine.

Yes, Jo, you are probably right. I just feel like PT is the last of my support networks and since my recovery has not been at all what I expected am concerned that I need to find something in the real world that is going to help keep me on a positive track.

Last week seemed really good, my hip seemed to move more freely and my stride seemed to be much fuller. This week has been less encouraging with stiffness in the joint and hamstring twinges and the seeming return of that pirate listing...and the depressing feeling of how can I STILL feel so much worse than I did before surgery.

Next week has to be better.
Take care,
Cardie

the depressing feeling of how can I STILL feel so much worse than I did before surgery.

I do hope so for you, I can only imagine your disappointment - be strong, stay positive. I am sure it will improve. From what I read post op it seems one step forward, two steps back some days.. The body is such a miracle :)

Ah yes - I only just spotted that you had your hip done in June. That does make a difference. In that case you do need PT.

Well, I have been turned loose to work out in the gym on my own two or three times a week for the month and then return to my PT facility to report on my results and decide if more PT will be necessary or not.

I feel a bit better about this progression as we did a few of my most helpful exercises/stretches on lower weights and without the hand-holding that had been provided during PT to prove that I can "stand on my own."

On another note, I will say that I have been browsing around in the forum and am a bit distressed to read some posts about issues with NSAIDs and inhibition of bone growth. I'm not sure what to make of this as I was on Celebrex (Celecoxib) in the hospital and supposed to continue on it at home but the insurance company denied that, so I went back on Voltaren (diclofenac) for many months post surgically and often recommend others on the forum use anti-inflammatories when they are having swelling related pain after surgery. Now, I'm feeling panicked (and stupid) -- but have yet to call the doc to see what they say there about it...

Here's one of the links that I read about it:
http://www.springerlink.com/content/e367736p80416824/

What have others read and heard about this issue????
Take care,
Cardie

#heterotopicossification

Don't panic Cardie! Yes some OS say you can not take NSAIDs pre or just post op. My OS gave me diclofenac both pre and post op and I have had no problem. This is OS dependent.

If you are worried call your OS. But I am sure if he did believe there was a problem you would not have been taking and anti-inflammatories.

This is an unproven theory. Probably emanating from the use of NSAIDs as a treatment for Heterotopic ossification. But HO is an inflammatory disease so that is why NSAIDs are used to subdue it. I think there must have been some misunderstanding somewhere somehow.

I take Celebrex too Cardie. I'n sure Dr. Hamilton wouldn't have prescribed a NSAID if he thought it would slow your progress. I don't think I would be walking at all if it weren't for the anti-inflammatory.

Please don't let that study you linked worry you. It was done on rats and not people! I know that their systems sometimes operate in a similar manner as human beings, but a result achieved in a rat study does not automatically transfer to humans.

Just wanted to store this into my thread for future viewing... Anyone else working on some tight IT band issues and piriformis pain?

If the Piriformis stretch doesn't work, get a ball, a round bottomed glass or even a teacup, lay on the other side and use the item to massage the area hard! Do it where you get at the most sensitive point. If you're not on that sweet spot, it's a waste of time.

Ok, so I have been wondering how to do that piriformis stretch on the operated side as I can only just get my operated foot crossed and up on top of my knee -- I cannot bring the whole bundle towards my chest to get the stretch though. I can do it great on the other side, but obviously that isn't the tight hip...

Jo are you saying to massage the area on one's bottom with the ball -- or is this more of an IT band area? I am also looking for a decent IT band stretch as I cannot do the foam roller IT band stretch I used to do before surgery -- I think because of the crossing the midline caution... I am anterior approach with no restrictions according to my surgeon, but do get some cautionary suggestions from some of the PT folks that have been around the block a few times with hip surgery patients.

I like this video but am afraid that I'd pop my hip out of the socket if I tried the stuff he shows -- any opinions???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9aJtO0VCqw

Thanks!! Cardie

Hey Cardie,

Sounds like we have the same llD an original hip issue. I was 5cm before but did not get as much length as I had hoped. My muscles, tendons, nerves would not allow as much stretching.

That must be really cool to get all that length in one shot!

Hey Cardie,

Sounds like we have the same llD an original hip issue. I was 5cm before but did not get as much length as I had hoped. My muscles, tendons, nerves would not allow as much stretching.

That must be really cool to get all that length in one shot!

Well, I guess I am happy about the femur extension I just wish that the joint itself had a better range of motion because it still bothers my back and knee. I asked the PT at the Os's office for some IT band stretches and forwarded the link I have a few posts up in my thread thinking that she'd know if I can do those kinds of movements without dislocating! She says she can't give me any stretches without seeing me -- even though she saw me in August and graduated me to phase two exercises and outpatient PT...

Cardie

Ultra cautious, isn't she?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Exercise76
Recent bookmarks