TKR What I did on my summer vacation

Thank you @Celle . Couldn't figure out how to get them all together. Btw.... none of them are weight bearing. I was laying on a table. Ortho people do them while I'm standing up.

@birdwatchr, Josephine has been away from the site and should be back Saturday. I'll tag @Josephine and ask her to check out your xrays.

Are you feeling any better?

Two years out, and I can actually run up the stairs now. New x-rays are said to look good, but they weren't shown to me. Still some pain, but tolerable. In fact, it wouldn't straighten out at first without pain while the doctor was looking at it. But he checked it out, knee straightened just fine, and he said as long as I am mostly happy, he is mostly happy. He'll see me again next year unless I have new problems with it.

Hey there, @birdwatchr! I agree that having a better knee than before is what it's all about! It sounds like you're there, and that's great!

@Bikesouth I would be interested in some names of Atlanta doctors you could suggest. I am just west of Atlanta.

Really wish you guys had a back surgery section, as I have been told I now need back surgery, and after he fixes my back he’ll fix my neck. However, I did ask how the pain level is compared to knee replacement, and he said back will not be as painful, as knee is much more complicated. Good to hear that part anyway. Knee is still doing okay.

@birdwatchr What type of back surgery do you need? As you can see in my signature I had decompression years ago. Can't say it worked very well although it improved the sciatic pain I had.

@Jaycey
He said I need lumbar Laminectomy due to severe spinal stenosis; that it would help the leg pain, but not so much the back pain. Disappointing to hear the last part, but legs are going numb more and more; lost total feeling in TKR leg twice a while back. Pain was so bad over summer in other leg (thigh) I couldn’t put weight on it at all until one of those 6 day med packs was taken. Spent rest of summer in PT for back/core exercises that didn’t really help. Can’t get ride for epidural injection, so haven’t tried that. First doctor said it probably would not help at this point.

I am really sorry to hear about your back and neck pain. I pray that your surgery brings you much relief!

He said I need lumbar Laminectomy due to severe spinal stenosis; that it would help the leg pain, but not so much the back pain.
There is a very good chance the procedure will address your leg pain. Yes, you will still have lower back issues but that is where the core stability exercises help. You will have restrictions on bending and lifting for awhile post op. But yes, a much less complicated recovery IMO.

@sistersinhim
Thank you. Trying to get second opinion, but picture of mri shows very pointed bone stabbing nerve area, so will probably need surgery anyway.
@Jaycey
Thank you for the reassurance. Hoping to be able to continue my stretching and exercise routine afterward. Took a long time to get here. Not sure how much it’ll be interrupted, but hopefully will be able to get back to where I am now. The stretching really does help quite a bit. But I am nervous about back/neck surgery, more so than with my knee.

But I am nervous about back/neck surgery, more so than with my knee.
I was absolutely terrified about my spinal surgery. Very natural to be. Discuss your fears with your surgeon. They do this surgery everyday, several times per day. But they do understand your fears.

Has your surgeon explained the procedure to you? Will it be a day case surgery or a stay overnight? What I can confirm is that once whatever is touching the nerve is removed you will get instant relief. No more crippling pain when you walk.

@Jaycey
Dr hasn’t really explained procedure, but I looked it up online. He did say it had to be done in the hospital, not a surgery center, and that I’d have to stay overnight. And he said he could fix it. PA told me not to email any more questions, that I’d have to make an appointment to ask more questions. Thought that was odd since all the other doctors allow emailed questions, and that’s what the patient portal is for. They still have not set me up for the epidural shot he wanted me to have first, saying they’ve not gotten his dictation yet and they don’t know what to do with me. It’s now been 2 weeks. So I may not go through with it.... at least with him. Haven’t been able to get second opinion set up yet; they haven’t called back. Still mulling over my decision.

PA told me not to email any more questions, that I’d have to make an appointment to ask more questions. Thought that was odd since all the other doctors allow emailed questions, and that’s what the patient portal is for.
I would report that PA! It is your right as a patient to ask any question you need to ask. After all, you are paying that surgeon. Perhaps a second opinion is a good idea. Not sure I could work with an office like that.

Let me know if you have more questions. I am not medical but I studied spinal procedures and the spine pretty extensively when I was making my decision. My list of questions was miles long and I even scheduled extra appointments with the surgeon to get answers.

I had 3 epidurals. The first one worked for about 3 months. The others were a waste of time.

It's a tough decision this back surgery. But I am certain I would not be mobile now if I had not had the surgery.

I had 3 epidurals. The first one worked for about 3 months. The others were a waste of time.

It's a tough decision this back surgery. But I am certain I would not be mobile now if I had not had the surgery.
I’m so glad your procedure worked for you, Jaycey, that’s awesome!

Back on 2010 I had a total of 10 shots in 6 months into my lower spine that did nothing. The dr then suggested Radio Frequency Ablation, (RFA) which he said was burning the nerve. I decided not to have it and he discharged me.

Somehow my back got better. Today it’s manageable, but I have to be really careful about positions I am in.

My husband just went through an epidural and Radio Frequency Ablation, neither of which helped him.

It’s all very confusing and disheartening. I feel for everyone experiencing debilitating back pain.

I’m so glad your procedure worked for you, Jaycey, that’s awesome!
Well as I said earlier - the surgery got rid of the horrid sciatic pain when I walked. But I am still dealing with back pain daily. My spinal surgeon said "go on and live life". And I have done that. Am I still stiff in the morning - yes! Does the weather aggravate my lower spine - yes! But at least I am not in a wheelchair and I don't plan to be - ever!

@Jaycey
I’m getting my list of questions together and will probably go back in with them December/January. If the PA comes in, thinking I’ll tell him my appointment is not with him. One thing I’m wondering is if I can have the minimal instead of the open procedure. Haven’t been able to get the 3 others I’ve contacted for a second opinion to get back with me. Feel like I’m in spine limbo! Legs and feet get so numb. Would appreciate some of your questions to add to mine. If you have access to my email, we can correspond that way if it’ll be better. Thank you for your help.

Question for those in the medical field:
I had my three year checkup and the doctor pretty much just kept telling me my thigh had atrophied, and if he measured it, he could prove it was 2-3 centimeters(?) smaller. Anyway he tells me this every year but this time he insisted I wasn’t using my leg and I insisted I was. So he prescribed physical therapy. Is this normal for a three year checkup?

I told him I don’t see the atrophy. Now I haven’t been using stairs at work, the elevator is much more convenient and does not get me all out of breath when I get to the top! But is this what he’s referring to? That I’m not climbing stairs?

I really don’t see the point in PT but ok I’ll humor him. I also felt the Dr was not feeling so great and didn’t look so good which may have made him so insistent. He just did not appear to be his jovial self and kind of acted like this atrophy is really serious. Any thoughts from the medical people out there?

Are you happy with your outcome? Can you do the things you need-want to do?

It’s your decision whether or not you go to physical therapy.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Jbrmoto
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom