Lounge Doctor

dogluvr

Country
United States United States
I had this in my cart at Amazon, then thought better of it. I saw cheaper brands. Is Lounge Doctor the way to go or is a cheaper one just the same? Mindi

You will find many here, including me, who have regular dates with the lounge doctor! I much prefer it to piling up pillows that inevitably fall, it was especially helpful in the early weeks when I wanted to sleep with leg elevated. Check out the company's actual website to make sure you are getting the best price and shipping deal!

While the Lounge Doctor is good, it's not essential.
There are plenty of ways to elevate - see this article.
Elevation is the key to controlling pain and swelling

If you find that the pillow stack is always slipping, you can pin the pillows together, like this:
Lounge Doctor

The lounge doctor seems to be a favorite, but it only ships to Belgium for 3x the price, uhhh, noooo.
I have been having major successes with the pillow stack - 3 cheap firm pillows from Ikea and I have not even had to pin or Velcro together. I guess that I have been lucky, in retrospect I would definitely try out ahead of time. @VW54, made her own lounge doctor, maybe she can post a picture ?

@nensi Ok. Sure! Since I'm still using it. I won't take it apart. This is my self made Lounge Doctor inspired by this site. I made it a week ahead of time. There are 3 pillows, 2 large and one small one inside the baby quilt to make it just the elevation I need. Normal pillows. So when we have more than 2 house guests next time, I might have to take it apart a bit to take out 1 pillow.
@dogluvr. It's not difficult at all. Just make large stitches for when you want to take it apart later. Zoom in to see what I did.

Attachments

• Lounge Doctor
    20170721_112107.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 333
  • Lounge Doctor
    20170721_111918.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 340
Thanks @VW54 ! What a pretty quilt too. Makes the whole thing look so cheerful.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

While the Lounge Doctor is good and I'm really happy with mine, I chose it because it had a "dip" that looked comfy. I might have been the first to recommend this particular brand. Happy as I am with it, I don't see why another brand wouldn't work as well.

I keep reading to keep the knee straight....with the dip in the Lounge Doctor, and the bend of your knee, is that ok? Also...there is the regular , the inflatable and the memory foam one. Which do you have?

Here's a link that will explain: Elevation and How to Do It

A slight bend of the knee isn't a problem. Just make sure you don't put pressure right behind the knee, something that might impede blow flow and cause blood clots. That's why medical staff will always tell you to keep the knees straight, because straight always = good blood flow. But here's the thing: not all knees can achieve completely flat (full extension) right after TKR. For those knees, keeping completely straight is painful. I know, because one of my knees was this way. For me, the Lounge Doctor, or something like it, including stacks of pillows, was a godsend. Elevation and comfort!

I have the regular one, but do get whatever you think would work best for you. Lots of people use pillows, or other brands, to excellent results. Oh, and the reason I chose this brand was because it looked like the picture in the above link that I thought looked more comfortable... for me. What looks most comfortable to you?

I like the fact that it is one unit...not a stack of pillows. I'm all about quick and easy right now, and I'm willing to pay for it. Im thinking of going with the pricey memory foam one that has a cooling gel. I am normally cold, but Ive been instructed by the Dr. to stop my birth control pills (low dose hormone replacement ) ...so bring on the hot flashes and night sweats!! Thanks !

I keep reading to keep the knee straight....with the dip in the Lounge Doctor, and the bend of your knee, is that ok?
I don't think you read that on BoneSmart, because we know from experience that a small bend in your knee is much more comfortable and it won't affect the development of your knee's extension.

Just got one delivered to me yesterday. I've been using a variety of pillow set-ups, and they weren't working well. After reading copiously on this site this week, I've realized that I've not been icing and elevating enough, and being in the "slow bender" club, I don't want to leave any stone unturned. I got the lounge doctor because as Susie said, it looked like the one in the picture in the link she posted, and also based on positive reviews on Amazon. I used it today after PT, in my recliner, and wow! So easy! Very comfortable. I've not been able to get comfortable on my back at night, and I'm eager to try this at bedtime. I think I'll be able to tolerate this for a while as I read and doze off!

Also, the best price I could find was on the Lounge Doctor website, as someone else mentioned. Shipping was FREE, and the product came in three to four days.

I've had great results using couch pillows or bed pillow, under one nice long, firm, king size pillow. I have one downstairs for the living room and one upstairs on my bed. I considered the Lounge dr. but didn't want to spend the money. I did recommend to my friend who is having bilateral in Oct. She ordered and said she thinks it will help with her back - she got extra wide one.

I think I may have read about the knee straight in my booklet from my joint class.

That's probable. Many people are told in hospital that they must keep their knee straight.
Once you get home, though, you can do it your way.

Yes, a slight bend is the most comfortable for me- I think they just don't want you to roll something up under your knee and not support your whole leg. Sometimes just using a king sized pillow under your leg from hip to toe gives just enough elevation and support. It really is a trial and error thing as everyone and every knee is different. My right loves to be elevated where my left is more just a flat and ice.

I love my Lounge Doctor. I got the regular - size medium - I am 5'7" -- I figured it was worth the investment as I will be getting my other knee done at some point. It was so much easier than carting pillows all over the house and I am not a seamstress like VW54. It is also quite comfortable for back seat riding in the car.

I like the Lounge Doctor, too. I did buy one very similar from the Foot Locker for the same price, but it's too wide to comfortable use in my recliner. The wider one is fine for the bed.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kneelythere
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom