THR LTHR-April 12th

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlGroomer

Country
United States United States
Anterior Hip Replacement went awesome!!! Came home Friday walking on a cane, I did use a walker at first. They had me up walking 2 hours after I got in my room.

That night my leg down to my toes went numb! Scared me! My doctor said the numbing medicine had worked it's way down but should get better. By morning I could feel my toes again! Thank God! My pain has been very minimal because of the numbness. The numbness wore off by Friday, pain still very minimal.

Saturday walking without the cane, I went to our favorite store down south Wal-Mart! Lol I'm doing my exercises at home till Monday when I start PT in town. I'm very thankful that things have gone so well for me. Thankful to have such an awesome surgeon, Dr Flanagan at Andrews Sports Medicine in Birmingham Alabama.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats, sounds like you're off to a great start!

Welcome to the other side! Easy does it now. I wouldn't recommend trips to the store just yet. You just had major surgery!

Here is some information to refer to during this recovery:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this: Activity progression for THRs

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Thanks Jacey for the info! I'm not recommending anyone to take a quick trip for walking to a store! That's just me! Once a crossfit person always a crossfit person! And if you know anyone like me it's all about a challenge!
Believe me I listen to my body! I've had a few major surgeries in my life that for anyone else they would have given up! I'm blessed to still be living my life!! Thanks again for the info! The more we know the smarter we are!

I'm not recommending anyone to take a quick trip for walking to a store! That's just me! Once a crossfit person always a crossfit person!
Yes, but THIS crossfit person has just had major MAJOR surgery!
I'm doing my exercises at home till Monday when I start PT in town.
Note the "Big Tip" at the end of the articles Jaycey left you.

Yes, but THIS crossfit person has just had major MAJOR surgery!
Note the "Big Tip" at the end of the articles Jaycey left you.

Hahah well I guess me cleaning my deck and deck furniture today would be a No No! I'm not a doctor but I'm pretty sure if you don't do PT you will not gain your complete mobility!

I'm not a doctor but I'm pretty sure if you don't do PT you will not gain your complete mobility!
Not true! Hips don't really need PT. The best exercise is walking - but then you would know this if you read the articles I left you.
Hahah well I guess me cleaning my deck and deck furniture today would be a No No!
At only days out of major surgery - you are right on this one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kneelythere
Recent bookmarks