Guest viewing is limited

Video: Surge in Total Knee Replacements for Boomer Women

  • Thread starter Thread starter jsr
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Being one of those Boomer women, thanks for posting the video.
 
That's me! I blew my knee out in the 1970's, had surgery & it's finally shot. Mine is a past injury that's now arthritis.:sigh:
 
Thanks for posting the video. I blew my knee out in 1973 and finally had it replaced in June, 2010. It was the best thing I ever did! I lived in pain and was limited for so long, but not anymore. My new knee is truly a miracle!
 
My wife and I watched that report. We took it a different way and did not like the message it seemed to protray. That is, the active lifestyle older women "attempt" is the cause of the "epidemic" of joint failures. In other words, if you remain sedentary and stop being so active when you are older, society wouldn't be burdened by this problem. Seems to be counter to what we need in our society as we battle serious obesity issues as a society from consuming more calories than we burn.
 
Thanks for posting. I was waiting for them to say, LOSE WEIGHT. Thank goodness they didn't blame it on sedentary lifestyle or being overweight in the news story, because many of us are not so.
 
Report in the Daily Telegraph today that 7 out of 10 women over the age of 50 have knee pain. Not sure of this as most people have knee pain of some form or other from time to time!
 
I don't think the article or video send the right message at all. Seems to me that the increase in TKR is do to the improved quality of results. Sure boomer are more active than earlier generations, but that to my way of thinking is a good thing not a bad one.

I don't but that increased activity has caused more arthritis and bad knees, it just makes us more aware of the pain and limitations thus increasing the likelihood that replacement is a likely treatment and solution.

This article is the equivalent to keeping woman "barefoot and pregnant" only for mature woman. Stay home, take up knitting and stay in the kitchen, not on the courts and gyms and trails.

Nonsense!!
 
Most of us boomer women were injured when we were younger, I was 23 when the MD improperly set my tibia fx, leading to my TKR in 2011.
So we have a choice, inactivity, or activity, both have risks.:scratch:
 
Pumpkin,

How did your wrongly treated fx cause your knee OA?

I always wondered why my R knee wore out while my L is completely fine given they are both the same age and have had the same amount of use.

I also had a fx on my R which was inappropriately treated about 25 years ago (although it was corrected after 10 years.)
 
Hi Dewy,
My left tibia has a 4 degree varum bend from the break, it should have been pinned. My meniscus sustained an incomplete tear at the same time.

20 years later I had an incomplete tear of my Left ACL.
The left knee instability from the ACL tear, combined with the crooked leg, my knee began to wear out in the medial compartment. My high arched supinating foot also contributed to medial loading of my knee. After the ACL tear my foot felt like it was slipping with every step.

Since the break occurred first I feel this was the primary incident leading to the wearing out of my knee.
Things happen, I am grateful that we have knee replacements!
 
I don't think i am quite considered a boomer being 43 tomorrow. But I kinda agree with the injuries, in while we were young to progress the arthritis. While both my knee have arthritis, I have to say the left one is a bit worse, always has been since i was 12 , was playing softball, and turned a certain way while running for the ball, and my left knee patella completely dislocated, it was just sticking out there for 3 hrs. When I finally got to er, they reset it (OUCH!!!). I took 6 months of pt and healing before I was off crutches and could walk. They said all the ligaments and tendons and such were all messed up, that's why it took so long to heal.
So in conclusion I beleives thats why my left knee hurts more then the right knee, more damage done to it over the years.
 
Or is the issue that they can do more to fix problems now? I was born with a bad hip. Perhaps years ago I would have had to live with it. Not now - thank heaven!
 
I remember people back in the 40s and 50s with arthritic joints. They had a miserable life. My gran was one - you could hear her knees grating every time she took a step. She was only in her late sixties at the time and lived another 12 years in that state. It was horrible. I am so grateful I won't have to suffer like that.
 
I think exactly the same. I often watch period dramas and think how hard the servants and working classes worked and, yes, this is true even a generation or two ago, the sheer physical hard work that some people did is incredible, put the misery of arthritic pain on top of this, without even halfway effective medication and I am just so thankful that I live in the times that I do live.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom