Pushing Flexion

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbruce

junior member
Joined
Nov 30, 2010
Messages
33
Location
Vancouver Island, Canada
I learned something interesting yesterday. I've been reluctant to push flexion mostly because I seem, perhaps as a typical male, to have a low pain threshold. However, my physiotherapist has encouraged me to "play through the pain", within reason, to get the joint moving. So, I doubled up on my pain med, lay back on my bed with a bunch of pillows under my knee and flexed beyond where my low pain threshold wanted me to go. Needless to say it hurt, and of course, again probably typical of most men (according to my wife) I grunted, groaned and yelled, but perservered.
The result of all this was, to my suprise and delight, was less pain, more movement and I'm able to put more weight on my leg.
So it appears that the old "no pain - no gain" adage may be true - withing reason of course!
BTW - TKR surgery was two weeks ago tomorrow.
 
Jolly good, Bruce! Just watch you don't end up with excess swelling as that will set you back. I never found it necessary to get to the 'grunt, groan and yell' point. I just flexed to the point of discomfort and then leaned on it just a tad more for a few seconds. And I did that a total of about 10 times spread over the day. My flexion is now 135+ and it seemed to pretty much get there on its own. It will if you let it.
 
Hi Bruce, I think it's really a matter of "how much pain".

The recommended home exercises are to do what you suggest, keep bending the leg until it stops without forcing it. At that stage there is pain of course.

But to go further than that point is a backwards step, and something we continually warn against. We have seen a catalogue of poor people who come on here in severe pain because the PT's have forced them beyond that point (sometimes physically!!!!). This results in recovery being set backwards.

Your comment " However, my physiotherapist has encouraged me to "play through the pain", within reason, to get the joint moving" is absolutely right, but no further.

On the other hand, stopping the bend short of where it gives a bit of pain, is equally a waste of time.

"probably typical of most men (according to my wife) I grunted, groaned and yelled"????????? I reckon you've got that the wrong way round:hehe:

Anyway, keep up the good work
 
I'm glad that worked for you, Bruce. There is a VERY fine line with the pain, though, and you must be careful not to cross it and cause irritation and swelling.

However...."pain" can be defined in many ways depending on the person. What is mere "discomfort" to one may be "yelping, yelling owies" to another.
 
bigbruce said:
probably typical of most men (according to my wife) I grunted, groaned and yelled
Tykey said:
????????? I reckon you've got that the wrong way round :hehe:
tut tut, Tykey. You naughty lad, you!
 
Sorry Jo, I should have said I was only referring to British women:tada:

I'm just going to hide behind the sofa!!!
 
Thanks for the feedback, particularly the caution re-overdoing it. There's no way I want to have any setbacks, so I am being careful not to push too far. Josephine, I am very encouraged to hear of your 135+ - that would pretty much get me back to the curling rink next season.
 
Tykey - I'd be careful if I were you. Keep it up and I'm not sure the sofa is going to offer much protection. I frankly don't know how I'd manage right now if not for my wife. I'm thinking a sainthood might not be good enough recognition for the support I'm getting from her.
 
Oh wow! Hope for me yet then! I am especially proud of my flexion as my leg is so fat and it's a wonder I can bend it at all! :hehe: So I reckon if I lost some weight, I could get even more. :tada:

My beautiful flex! (actually it was still only 130* in this pic)
[Bonesmart.org] Pushing Flexion
 
Back from my 3rd PT treatment. I've had a couple of breakthrough days - my flex has gone from 60 deg to 90 deg and straight from -10deg to -6deg. The really good news is I'm pretty much off the pain meds. My Doc has put me on Celebrex which together with the 10 hours or so a day attached to my Cryocuff (recirculating ice/water machine) has dramatically reduced the swelling in the joint. Regular massages and application of a herbal remedy cream called Traumeel have gone a long way to loosen up the muscles in my thigh.
All of this has been particularly important as my wife fell yesterday and broke a bone in her foot. She's in a walking cast for 6 weeks or so. I think she was getting tired of me getting all the sympathy! Anyway, we look quite a sight sitting side by each in our recliners with our legs in the air!!!
 
You are doing great on your ROM (range of Motion). Just remember that they are just numbers. The main thing is that you be able to do the things you love! ROM comes with time....continues to increase for over a year. Be gentle on yourself!
 
Ohhhh....so sorry about your wife (although I did get a chuckle about the idea that she needed some of the attention!). It does sound like you're doing really well! Keep up the great recovery!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom