THR Xazar's THR Recovery

@xazar I was 64yo when I had both hips replaced at once. When my surgeon discharged me from his active practice, he said the only permanent restriction I had was "NO bungy cord jumping!". Restrictions vary from surgeon to surgeon and vary with particular patient's physical condition and medical situation.

@xazar There are lots of different protocols and policies. I was in the “restrictions for life” camp. At 5 years out, that’s kinda fallen by the wayside. This is how I judge an activity: how embarrassed am I going to be sitting across from my surgeon explaining exactly how I injured myself. Lol. Enjoy getting back to your life. I’m sure common sense will be the moderator. Blessings.

My OS said no running marathons! LOL! I'm pretty sure that was a joke. I enjoy walking & most days log about 4 miles. Now that the weather is improving it's so nice to be outdoors early in the day.
I'd say you know your body & how you are feeling so listen to that body & let the hip run the show.
Doesn't mean you can't get back to all you enjoyed before your surgery, just means some activities might take a little longer to get back to.
All well wishes!

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Sounds like you're doing well and your surgeon is giving you license to leap tall buildings in a single bound four months from now. :wink: Wowza!

My surgeons PA informed me that while it gets pretty close...the prosthetic hip will never match my natural hip so I'm taking care so it lasts my lifetime.

Thanks for the update, you're doing great!
@xazar

When you feel comfortable, which may be around 4 months from now, you can do anything you want. Work on splits, running, deep weighted squats, extreme yoga, martial arts, or gymnastics.
I’d look at it as - you can *start* to “work on” those things, and transition from “let things heal properly” to “start the process of getting strong again” in that kind of timeframe. For me that point was about 6 months in.

Getting to the point where you are *doing* all those things, having put in the work to get to some baseline level of fitness and strength to do them right and safely… that’s the longer game!

Good luck and good recovery!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Sleepy
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom