• UPDATED!!!! SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Wednesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Vacation Pain Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

KneedKnees

senior
I've already posted about my BTKA coming up on Aug. 5th. I was originally going to have just the right knee done, but this past week, after a visit with my surgeon, decided to go ahead with both! I'm nervous, but relieved to have made the decision. :thumb:

My concern/worry right now is that we are leaving on vacation on Wed., July 27th, and will be on college visits with our daughter. This involves an airport, plane ride, and then walking around on 5 college campuses, in addition to doing some sightseeing.

Today, my family and I went on a "day trip" and did some walking. I'm in lots of pain from the walking :cry:, and that was "small potatoes" compared to the amount of walking I'll have to do on the upcoming vacation.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to help control/treat the aching and pain from overuse of joints/legs/bone-on-bone knees? If you've read my previous post about pain meds, you know that I can't take much! I take Extra-Strength Excedrin 3-4 times a day for the pain. That's really all I can take.

I haven't done much icing - does that really help? If so, how would I best do that? (We're staying in an apartment on our vacation, so there would be ice available.)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks ~
KneedKnees

Hi
I can tell you what I did in the few yrs prior to my TKR
I spend several 12 hr days at Disneyland and other events on crutches! being on crutches greatly increased my endurance and helped lesson my pain of getting point A to point B. I also took narc pain meds to get me through as I had in the 3 yrs prior to my TKR I would normally use about 10-15 vicodin a month. MORE when active I would take more.
I would also rent scooters when that was an option, anything to reduce the amount I had to walk. etc

KneedKnees....icing is not going to get you through the trip you are describing, although it will be good to do it as much as possible. A trip like you're describing would be brutal for someone with GOOD knees!!! I feel like your best bet is to rent a wheelchair...one that is portable and folds up. You can check it as luggage when you fly and then you'll have it to do your roaming about.

If one day got you, you are just not going to be able to do days of this kind of activity. Please don't do this to yourself. You don't want to head into surgery with your knees swollen and inflamed.

Just what I was going to say .....

I agree, rent a wheel chair. I have done that for vacations. Taking it on the plane was not a problem. You will enjoy it so much more. Good luck.

Well friends, I'm on day 6 of our vacation, and am in a lot of pain! :hairpulling: Though I didn't take the advice of getting a wheelchair (which I wish I had), I have been icing and resting as much as possible. In addition, I've been taking more Excedrin, which takes a bit of the edge off.

I can't explain my reasons for not using a wheelchair, without people misunderstanding my motives - but suffice it to say that I'm paying for it with the pain. My family is very understanding and helpful, and we are able to rest and I can ice often.

I have 3 more days of vacation, but these are the easier days - lots of resting on the beach!!! :biggrin: Hopefully the swelling will stay down, and I can go into surgery comfortably (or as much as possible!).

Four days 'til surgery. Three things are crystal clear;
1. I'm SO THANKFUL that I decided to do the BTKA instead of just the right knee. The pain is so great in BOTH knees that it would have been a mistake to do only one.
2. I made a huge mistake in not listening to you'all and renting a wheelchair - which I knew would help, but I didn't heed the knowledge.
3. I can't wait to be on the "other side". I'm ready for the pain - the different kind of pain that I know will lead to recovery and a much more normal existence!

I may not check in again until after the vacation and surgery. If not, thank you all for your advice (even that which I didn't follow), and your encouragement and support. I've appreciated (and will continue to do so) having a place to vent, look for answers and glean support from others who have or will be going through the same thing. :yes 4:

THANK YOU ~
KneedKnees:yay:

Sorry to hear you are hurting. Sometimes we make decisions that may not be the best but are right for us at the time. If nothing else, you pain has obviously helped you clarify that your decision going forward is what you should be doing. That knowledge is worth a LOT!!!

Have a restful and quiet time on the beach and hopefully you can get that pain down to a manageable level before the trip home. As you travel home, though....don't hesitate to take advantage of a wheelchair at the airport. You just need to call ahead and they'll have one for you every step (bad pun....sorry) of the journey. You won't regret that.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday, get that wheelchair organised for the airport! I wish you good luck for your surgery. Keep us posted on your progress, thinking of you.
Jo x

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Elf1
    Staff member since October 2019
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Jamie