Unloader brace

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuzzybunny

Country
United States United States
My doctor ordered me a custom unloader brace to unload the lateral side of my joint. My hesitation in going through with this is the brace will cost me 320 and it is supposed to unload the lateral side, but I also get pain medially, and most of my pain is in the patellofemoral joint. My other knee is almost as painful too.
Is the brace worth it?

Fuzzybunny,
Sounds like you will get mixed results with this brace seeing you have pain in all compartments of your knee. I had a similar brace many years ago, I gave it back so they could give it to someone with out insurance.
Looking at your history, seems like it may be time for a joint replacement????

I received unloader braces in January 2015 for my knees. This was all the VA would do for me. The braces did help incrementally until my civilian physician referred me to an orthopedic surgeon who immediately told me I met medical need for knee replacements and he would perform the surgery whenever I wished. I scheduled the first one in April 2015 and I'm doing the second one next month. The braces helped during a planned two week vacation in March 2015 (but walking was still miserable). I haven't worn the braces much since my first replacement -- I just haven't attempted extended walking.

If I had had to pay $320 for them, I'm not sure I would have considered it worthwhile. I can tell you you won't want to wear them more than a few months. They dig into your skin. They damage your clothing. They only provide minimal relief. If you're waiting for a knee replacement in a few months to a year, you may find them helpful. If these are being proposed as a long-term solution, please seek another opinion.

I have the unloader brace, which cost me $200 after insurance. At the time I got it I was working in a large 3 story middle school with no elevator. I was on my feet almost all day long, and the brace, although somewhat uncomfortable by the end of the day, was a lifesaver. Since I'm no longer working, I only use it when I'm going to be walking all day. Obviously, if you sit a lot, it's useless. It's a temporary solution.

I used one when I was working I the hospital. I was fortunate that my insurance paid for it. I didn't think it worked that much for me. It's very bulky and it's supposed to be worn against the skin so it also limits what you can wear with it. If I had to pay for it, knowing how little it helped, I probably wouldn't have gotten it.

I have right knee medial pain from walking or going to the gym. My ins offered a heavy duty Donjoy Offloader that has been a life saver for the last 2 years. It was covered by ins so the out of pocket was minimal. It was rather big and bulky so I purchased an Ossur which can be worn under jeans or pants. Between the 2 braces I think that I have kept total knee replacement at bay for 2 years. Sooner or later the TKR is inevitable so mine is scheduled for July. Sorry I forgot to mention the Ossur was paid out of pocket but was found new on Ebay for 1/4 the original cost.

wayne92602,
Welcome to Bonesmart, glad you joined us!
Thanks adding your experience with an offloaded brace, and the idea to look on Ebay.
Why don't you start your own thread in the pre op forum and tell us more about your self.
Starting a new thread and posting

I have an unloader brace, thankfully paid for by insurance. It helps quite a bit, but not as much as I thought or was told it would. I still can't hike or do any real riding (bike is still on the trainer). It does relieve the bone-on-bone feeling so it makes errands and cooking easier. The straps dig into the back of my knee and it's bruised and itchy as can be. Taking it off when I get home is always a relief.

If you do get one, be sure you can work with an orthotist to adjust the fitting if needed. I had one that helped a bit but it got pretty uncomfortable to wear all day. Getting it on and in the right spot (and to stay in the right spot) sometimes was a little tricky for me. It helped me hang in until I could get tkr scheduled.

I think I will make an appointment with my doctor to discuss my concerns. I have doubts, especially with my most painful area being right under and around the kneecap. Seems like that area shouldn't be very painful standing and walking but despite the scopes to "smooth" the area it feels raw, like the surfaces are scraping (well duh the surfaces are far from smooth).

@fuzzybunny studies have shown that an arthroscopy seldom fixes the problem for long if you have cartilage destruction. It sounds as if you already have bone moving on bone and nothing will cure that, apart from a knee replacement.

Rather than playing around with the unloader brace, which is really just another, temporary thing to defer surgery, i think you should go ahead with a knee replacement.
You will need to find a surgeon who does lots of knee replacements each year, and one who will look at the state of your knees before he/she looks at your age. you may have to see several surgeons before you find the right one.

Nowadays, knee replacements can last for 30 years or more, so there is no longer any need to wait until you are "old enough" to have a knee replaced. Even if you should need a revision after 30 years, it isn't the big deal that it used to be. I had a revision when I was 70 and, if anything, the recovery was easier than my recovery from the original surgery.

I have a closet full of discarded knee braces and supports. Like you I had arthroscopic surgery where he cut off part of the meniscus and smoothed it out. The OS said it was in bad condition. Later I had the steroid shot which helped for six months. Now the knee has all kinds of crunches again, is swollen and hurts. I figured my best option since I am 77 and getting older every day is to get it done now. Maybe another shot would help but it would be just temporary and in the meantime my other knee would go downhill. Everybody I have talked to says they are glad they did it sooner than later and some wished they had even done it earlier. Just think we will be over 100 when the joint wears out!:heehee:

Something we hear a lot here on BoneSmart is this: "I wish I hadn't waited for so long."

If your knee needs the surgery, there is no point in postponing it.

I had unloader braces custom made before I had knee replacements. I was able to finish out the school year because they took some of the pressure off but in the long run they became museum pieces. I would opt for knee replacement instead and save the extra money if I were you.

I am not bone on bone yet. There are a couple of areas in my knee that are really close but I still have some cartilage left. Both meniscus are intact. X-rays 8 months ago showed plenty of joint space in the tibiofemoral joint. The PF joint was definitely narrowing. My doctor says despite my pain the condition of the knee doesn't warrant a replacement and my goal should be to delay it as long as possible.

ok, then the unloader brace might work for you! I used them for over a year and it did help some. I wish you all the best!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties