TKR Turtle still hoping to cross the finish line

Status
Not open for further replies.

maryo52

Former BoneSmart staff member
Country
United States United States
Happy Easter all. With my few minutes before I head out to Easter dinner, I wanna throw the net out for any encouragement and reassurance regarding what might be called a 5 month plateau. I'm a late bloomer due to arthrofibrosis and did not have scar tissue resolved until 2/23/11 and did not get ROM past 90 until early March.

I can get @ 115 degrees bend and 0 extension although my knee tends to snap back like a rubber band to 95 and 5. This is going to improve, right?!?!? Like, my leg will actually get the message and bend to 115 without needing so much prodding?

I also seem to have a fair amount of effusion in the joint. I can go downstairs normally, best after my morning stretch. But other than right after stretching, there's a lot of pulling on the front of my knee when I go downstairs.

Also having pain on bending on the medial side of the knee, and in back!

I find myself asking myself, When is this going to go away?!? Looking for hope. Thanks, all.

Re: a little reassurance needed

Hi Mary,
Happy Easter! We are both five months along after RTKR. I still have some swelling,pain(mild),and times when I feel better than others.Still have osteoarthritis. Overall I am great because before surgery I could barely walk at all. We are still healing. It is only going to get better.:flowerysmile:

I think that at five months you are doing okay! You have had some extra challenges.

When you get welling and pain are you still and elevating? I am still on occasion icing and elevating. What kinds of activities are you doing Mary? Are still doing some stretches and such?

I think that around six months, so of us hit a wall. We are tired on not being able to do what we want:skeptical:. We have do all the PT that is available for us. Now we have to decide what we want and go for it. Even if it means going back to doing all those dread exercises!!

As far a ROM is concerned it is just a number! I have continued to gain ROM even into my second year. You are really doing well!:yes 4:

Still icing and elevating.

Still taking 2-3 half percocet 3/325s. It's just all that tightness around the knee. I guess if a fairy waved her wand and eradicated the effusion, I'd feel a lot better.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Hey Mary and Happy Easter to you !!!!!!!!!!!! I think you are still improving and the knee will one day finally give in and say "Ok Mary you win".:biggrin:. We just have to keep on keeping on. I like you my turtle friend am still plugging along slowly. I had my LTKR in Sept and did not have any of the issues you had and I feel like I still have quite a way to go. I still have the swelling and vice grip daily. So yes I really think that your knee will one day do all the things you want it to. I think of you often even tho I do not get on as much as I did because I am trying to work a little more every week. I think you have done very well with all the issues you had after surgery. I hope this will maybe make you feel a little better today. Sending you hope for a bright week!:wubroses:

Judy, It's always a delight to hear from you, Fellow Founder of the Turtle Club! Today I decided not to stretch, just a walk. So I DO feel better.

I love the idea of the knee giving in and saying, OK, you win. And you're right! Thanks for cheering me up.

Fellow turtle here. There are many plateaus and even some backwards movement in this recovery. Try not to be too hard on yourself. I am having a very very slow recovery and am dealing with RA as well (I've been off my Enbrel now over a year- seeing the Rheumotologist on Tuesday and hopefully will get back on it)
I've had many ups and downs on this path. I've hit many walls and had many detours. The bottom line is we all heal at our own rate, and we can do nothing to speed it up.
As you can see, I am over a year out (and it's been a long one). I still take pain meds. My knee is still stiff in the morning. I do have complete ROM, but it was alot of work over a long time. Be patient. Good things will come. It is frustrating, yes, but that is what it is.

Don't compare yourself to others here who are doing better than you. There will always be people who heal faster and slower than you.
Do your thing, Live your life.

You will get there, I promise. I tell myself that every day, since, I am not "there" yet.
Embrace "turtleness".
Sandy

Don't compare yourself to others here who are doing better than you. There will always be people who heal faster and slower than you.
Do your thing, Live your life.

Good advice. Thank you for the reminder.:thumb:

You're the veritable 'inch worm', Mary! I think you will get there eventually. Poor lassie - it's been such a struggle for you, hasn't it?

[SIZE=+1]Inchworm, inchworm

[SIZE=+1]Measuring the marigold[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]You and your arithmetic[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]You'll probably go far[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Inchworm, inchworm[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Measuring the marigold[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Seems to me you'd stop and see[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]How beautiful they are[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Mary, you're not slow in recovery....your body is just taking the time it needs to get it right this time. Hang in there, hon!!! You are doing great. It will be easier on you when the weather improves enough that you can enjoy being outside more. That lifts a person's spirit!!

Am wondering aloud what contributes to the knee swelling, and joint effusion? Hoping Josephine will chime in here. Is one factor disruption of lymph system from surgery?

Took the day off from stretching yesterday, and today as well. Can feel a sore lump on the inside of my knee, which hurts whenever I bend past 90. Decided instead to massage the knee today. It could use a little lovin' what with having so many demands placed on it.

Swelling is the body's reaction to trauma - damage causes fluid to be released from the circulation to accumulate in the tissues; this is swelling.

Joint effusion is different and caused by the synovial membrane which over produces the normal joint lubrication fluid, synovium. Or it can be due to bleeding in the joint when it is known as a haemarthrosis.

Put in a call to the OS office today because of what I suspect is bursitis limiting my range of motion efforts (pain!). Having encountered obstacles throughout much of my recovery that limited progress, I don't want to take the chance of this getting out of hand. Nip it in the bud, as they say.

My therapist says the swelling usually subsides around 6 months. We turtles tend to swell I think. I use the extreme elevation and lymphatic massage to help. You have had more than your share of insults to that poor knee so it has a right to complain. I think your 115 is great.

I have a tender spot on the medial spot too. It seems that is where the OS made his incision in the underneath tissue. Different than the straight line down the middle of the knee. Hope this makes sense. My therapist says the area is still healing and calming.

Donna

So true, Donna! Thanks for your re-assurance.

Well this particular pain is associated with a small lump and is outside the joint on the inside of my knee. Not a big worry. I left the info with the OS office and after he was informed, he asked that I come in.

I know about that pain in the "underneath" incision. I was told to expect pain there.

Probably I'm being a big baby (again). The OS probably misses me anyhow (NOT!)

It always helps to let them have a look so we don't worry. I'm glad you get to see him soon.

Donna
LTKR 12/06/2010

Parallel to my knee misery, my 93 y.o. mom who I'm responsible for has been sinking further and further into dementia. She lives 3 miles from me and is lucky enough to have the resources to have 24/7 in home care. I supervise her staff and take care that my mom's home is in good repair, oversee her medical care, and see that her household financial affairs are in order.

My mom has recently descended from mild dementia to moderate, with signs of advanced, such as forgetting the utility of common items. She needs to be directed in all her efforts. The stickler is that "home" is the Washington DC area. That's where most of the family is. For some reason she chose to settle in Maine year round after being a "summer person" for years. So I'm on the hot seat alone. I have two siblings. One is busy working with young kids at home, and the other lives a life of leisure that cannot be sacrificed by contributing very much. Fortunately my husband has been incredibly supportive and helpful.

I am overwhelmed with sadness on and off. It spills over into my feelings about my TKA. Anyhow, just blowing off steam to an understanding support system.

I'm sorry that you have to go through this, Mary. It is hard to watch a parent decline and feel like you can't do enough. It is overwhelming and I wish you had more help dealing with that.

My father was diagnosed with dementia about 4 years ago at the age of 66. We never really believed the diagnosis and kept pushing for more tests, but his doctors were adamant that he had dementia. After he struggled with it for 4 years- losing most of his ability to walk, talk, take care of himself, and do normal everyday behaviors, my sisters and I convinced his neurologist to test him for Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus (NPH) which has many symptoms that mirror dementia. In January, his neurologist did some tests (after another one said they wouldn't and my stepmother said that she would take him elsewhere and then come back to prove them wrong!) Come to find out, he does have NPH and not simply dementia and with the placement of a shunt (and he then had a shunt revision 3 weeks later) he is now able to walk without a walker, can remember and speak more, and doesn't sleep all day like he was doing. He still has some troubles with his short term memory; but he is so much better than he was in January when all he would do is sit in his recliner.

By the way, I'm not suggesting that is what your mother has, simply sharing my story about my experiences with a parent with dementia. When Dad was in those stages of what we were told was dementia, it was so hard to handle because we lost our mother at an early age and he is everything to us. It has helped to be able to talk with my sisters about our feelings with Dad's illness- can you do that with your siblings? Is there someone else you could talk to? Being the caretaker is tough and don't be afraid to reach out for help :)

Hang in there!

Oh that's horrible, Mary. And very sad for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Mahaan98
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom