TKR Trying to stay positive so frustrated

How are you doing today...on this one month anniversary of your TKR?
I'd like to wish you a Happy One Month Anniversary, but not sure it is happy if you're feeling lousy.
Please know we're here if you need us.
I hope today is a good day! :friends:
@Limpycat

Even though they tell us the pain afterwards will be nasty, nothing sinks in like living it. I am 33 days post and I went outside to walk to the mailbox today, with my walker, for the first time. I'm icing now but the pain is not as bad as it was yesterday even. It's a very slow, boring and frustrating journey and remember how they told us how much we would hate our surgeons for the first 3 weeks and we didn't really believe them? Then we did hate them? Just like the warning about pain. What this is telling us is that all of the predictions are true, we aren't the first to ever have this done so when somebody says "normal activities by three months" and "complete recovery might take a year," believe it.
Just think that this time next year this will all be a memory; your joint pain will have been forgotten and no, you didn't get addicted to Tramadol.

"Stay calm, be brave and wait for the signs."

I am 5 1/2 months out. At this point, I actually have forgotten the pain early on. Life will get better. Hang in.

Today I took a short drive. It was difficult to bend knee to get in car but went ok. Sitting without leg elevated starts to ache though.
Later my knee was throbbing and the scar red puffy and angry. So back to mostly ice and elevation,

I have a question about severe itching on the numb parts of leg below knee. It’s frustrating to not feel but still itch. Anyone?

It’s frustrating to not feel but still itch
Oh, yes. What you are feeling are some of those nerves healing and is normal. Don't be surprised if you start to feeling something like lightning bolts in your knee. This is also your nerves waking up and normal. We call them zingers. Sometimes mine would actually make my leg jump on its own. Now, that HURT!

Having different sensations all around your leg and knee is all part of the aftereffects of this surgery.

Oh yes I have had zingers. Kind of unsteady walking at times. Does anyone know how long all that lasts and when can I take a warm bath not just showers.

Does anyone know how long all that lasts
It's different for everyone. I'm at 4+ months post-op and still get them every once in a while -- although not as often as during the first month. I remind myself that it is a GOOD thing because it means that nerves are reactivating!

when can I take a warm bath not just showers.
You really need to discuss this with your surgical team because it depends completely upon how much your incision has healed. I was cleared to go into the water at my 6-week follow up.

Do you have a follow-up appointment coming up soon? Looks like you are coming up on the 6 week mark.

Enjoying being cleared to be able to take baths again. Pt today and the pushing to straighten my leg was very painful. I walked a bit too much. Hope I’m not going backwards. Fear that manipulation under anesthesia

Pt today and the pushing to straighten my leg was very painful.
This is not necessary and I suggest you don't let them do this. Extension will come, in time, as you heal. You are very early in recovery and painfully forcing it will only cause more swelling which is counterproductive.

We have had members sustain serious acute injuries from PT pushing on or attaching weights to their legs to try to gain extension.
PLEASE don't allow this.

Extension comes from loss of swelling and from relaxation.

Pt today and the pushing to straighten my leg was very painful. I walked a bit too much. Hope I’m not going backwards
Agree with others like @Jockette that you mustn't let your PT push you to pain.
This is not necessary and can easily make things worse.
I used a gentle pilates based approach with no pain and I have great ROM (150+ and 0). For extension I found just lying on the bed on my tummy with my lower leg overhanging the edge stretched my extension. It is actually pretty strong so don't overdo this. Just the weight of your leg works.

I agree with you about not pushing to pain but as she was pushing and being so encouraging saying that it’s uncomfortable but it will gain. It just gets so confusing all the conflicting messages. She also gave me easy exercises for the pool and tried a couple minutes on the bike. So hard to know what’s helpful what’s not. It definitely hurts more after 2 times having her push it down but it is also a little straighter maybe. Thinking I may just do my own gradual pt.

It definitely hurts more after 2 times having her push it down but it is also a little straighter maybe
Her encouragement is to get you to do something she believes will benefit you. Through your own admission, you're not certain that it has helped, but seem clear that it's causing you pain. "Pain Is Your Body Asking For Change"

Thoughtfully consider whether this is helping you, or you're simply being cajoled into doing something that causes you pain without gain. You can say, NO. After all, you're the one dealing with the pain that results from the pushing, not the therapist. It's understandable that it's confusing listening to opposing advice. Keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, it is essential to find what works best for you.
I hope you have a great week!

My leg is very sore and achy after pt again with the pushing. I thought I felt improvement earlier in the week so allowed it at next session. Tonight I am in a lot of pain. Not sure if it’s end of day normal swelling pain or because of the tough pt. So hard for me to say no. I guess I could refuse to go back but fear I would lose any gains.

Just Say No.
Tell them you've struggled with pain after both PT sessions involving the pushing and you don't want to do it anymore. You will be proud of yourself for being assertive and you won't have to deal with the pain.

I doubt you'll lose anything by not returning, but if that's a fear, go back, but be in control of what you will, or won't do. It is your body and you're the one that has to deal with the pain after an aggressive therapy session, not the PT.

I am sorry you're hurting. Hopefully rest, ice and elevation brings speedy relief. :console2:
@Limpycat

Yes you are so right. This time was more brutal and more exercises added. I know my body and what’s working. I go to the gym and do what helps but not what hurts. I am not doing that torture pt anymore. My surgeon warned me it helps some and hurts others but not to do what hurts even if it’s later. Thank you for reminding me it is my body.

My surgeon warned me it helps some and hurts others but not to do what hurts even if it’s later.
You're welcome, Limpycat.
If you return, use your surgeon's words to bolster your "No, I am sorry but I'm not doing that."

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
BrainySmurf
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom