Some (mostly positive) observations 6 weeks out

Status
Not open for further replies.

oregpsnow

I just hit the 6 week mark after LTKR and went back to work today. I work mostly at a computer so I don't need a great deal of mobility. Looking back to the surgery and early recovery I do have some observations that may help others:

1. I don't remember any of the surgery. The surgeon initialled my leg, the anesthesiologist came by for a brief visit and the next thing I remember is waking up in my room. Nice to sleep through all of that. No pain, no needles.
2. Leg had two big wrapped bandages on it. One came off the next day and the other didn't come off until I got home. I was surprised by this but they do it to prevent infection. There is a drain in it the first day and they visually check the bandage for signs of excess drainage and do labs to check for infection but they don't open it. I had the pleasure of unwrapping it a few days after I got home. Kind of yucky - but no infection. That first hot shower felt wonderful.
3. Stayed 3 nights in the hospital due to a spike in my white count but it turned out to be nothing. Next time I want to get home a day earlier. By the time I got home I did not need the walker and could putter about my small house fairly easily. Felt terrific to be home - alive and well.
4. Was able to drive after one week - only because I had the left knee done. Drove to PT, the drive-through for greasy chicken strips (my treat for being alive) and to my 2 week doctor appt.
5. Oddly enough, week 3 and 4 were more painful and difficult than the earlier days - perhaps I was getting bored and cranky with the whole thing. I have a very short attention span. Pain was fairly well controlled - Oxycontin, Oxycodone and Tramadol all helped.

Bottom line - if you have any reservations just go for it. It feels great to have an actual joint at my knee now that bends. My knee was so bad it didn't bend much and hurt a lot. I see the light at the end of the tunnel and I am going to walk as fast as I can to get there (no running!). I would recommend finding the best doctor you can - this is a complex surgery if you have any unusual issues and the experience and competance of the doctor seems to make a difference long term.

Best of luck to all of you.

Not bad, oreg. Keep on keeping on!

I'm glad you are doing well! I also live in Oregon and had LTKR Jan 24th - 2011
it has been an outstanding experience!
I agree with how import an excellent OS is to our recovery!

Nice post glad things are going well. I'm 4.5 months post LTKR and life is wonderful and getting better - keep up the good work and don't let a bad day here and there get you down.

That's a really great report!!! I'm glad to hear you've sailed through this so easily so far. Here's hoping you continue on that path with this knee and the next one. Let us hear more from you!!!

Way to go, good luck with continued recovery. I ditched the walker in the first couple days at home, opting for a cane I had. It turned into a mental crutch in the following weeks since it was winter and I developed a deep seated fear of falling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Hyde