TKR Rosi's Recovery Update: One Year post op nightmare...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I didn't feel strong enough to go to pt this week. Decided to work on straightening at home. Not there yet' but had the most amazing moment this evening. Walking heel to toe, I actually felt no pain. No pain! The strangest thing was that I suddenly remembered what my knee felt like before tkr.....bone on bone. If nothing else, it has renewed my hope in a future with pain free knees. I know there will be not so good days, but I'm saving this moment for arainy day. Wishing everyone a step with no pain. :happydance:

Rolling-Tare-Panda.gif
sSig_wowspring.gif
One of those great AAAH HA! moments that leaves you pumped! Yes save it up and savor it especially on those down days, it will pick you up and remind you that things are getting better and better slowly but surely.
Keep us the good work and keep us posted. We care.
AddEmoticons00916.gif

Rosi, I'm glad you were firm with those therapists who seemed bent on pushing you to the point of real pain. It's so sad when people feel the need to do that to patients who are trying to heal! There is no law that says you MUST have therapy. Remember, that in Britain and other countries, going to therapy is not the norm and people heal quite nicely. We have exercises available in the BoneSmart Library if you need them and you can always ask for guidance. Stay tough if you do go back to that therapist. If you get "a look" or otherwise feel they do not understand your feelings, ask to speak with the facility manager. You have the right to get the service you want.

Hello all,
I never expected to be posting about pain 6 months out, but here I am. My recovery went without a hitch until about 2 weeks ago. I am experiencing sharp searing pain on the left front side of the knee below and to the side of the knee cap. Weight bearing or moving the wrong way at night causes the pain. Prior to this, when the knee felt stiff or achey, I would do a mile or two on my stationary cycle and the knee would feel great.
My first call will be to my ortho surgeon tomorrow and since the pain isn't constant, I'm hopeful that there is no infection. There is one teeny tiny worry. There is still an open spot on my incision. At 8 wk checkup, (my last) doc said it was probably due to an unabsorbed stitch. Also, the front, left side of my shin is still bruised and sore to the touch. I was also surprised that no X-ray was done. I just figured that procedures had changed since my first TKR 7 years ago.
Not looking for a diagnosis, but I guess I'm curious to hear if anyone else has experienced this issue.
I wasn't able to post this to my original thread. I didn't have sufficient something or other.
Rosi

Rosi,
Sorry to hear you are having such unexpected pain, and an open spot. I agree call your surgeon first thing in the morning and get it checked out.
Seeing the OS will give you peace mind.
Keep us posted on how your visit goes.

Rosie, I getthatkind of pain going up and down stairs , weight bearing when knee bent, and when changing position in bed at night. I don't have any wound issues or bruising but is sometimes sore to touch. Let us know how you get on at docs

Thanks Chris and Nancy. Because this pain is new, it's worrisome. Looking at your particulars,it seems you've both been through it. I'll let you know how I make out.
Rosi

Hi Rosi, sorry to hear you are still having problems. Can you post a photograph? For there to still be an open spot on your wound is extremely concerning and I'd like to have a look at it. Did you never go back to your surgeon about it?

Thanks Josephine. I have an appointment 8:30 tomorrow. Hoping it's much ado about nothing. Not a very good photo of the small unhealed hole, but there it is.

image.jpg

Well, whether it is or not, it needs dealing with. Something like that shouldn't be left.

Thanks to everyone for your advice. Surgeon said the little hole is nothing to worry about, but did diagnose saphenous neuritis. He did X-ray the knee and said it looked fine. He pressed a finger into the inside of my thigh, just above the knee and I nearly hit the roof. He said only a small percentage of TKR patients get this type of neuritis and the cortisone shot he gave me should "reboot" the nerve. I see him again in a month. When I think of all of the other things that could have been wrong, I feel really fortunate. Again, can't thank you enough for being here.

Oh - okay. Glad that's the case.

Very glad you got this checked out, rosi.

So glad it's not an infection, Rosi! What did he say the hole is from? Still, take care with that until it is totally closed.

He claims that the hole is healed. Funny, every time I shave my legs, the thing breaks and bleeds like crazy. Wondering if anyone has any experience with the saphenous nerve or cortisone shots to relieve nerve pain. It is a week today and the pain and burning are the same if not worse. Hoping that it's just taking more time than usual.:yes:

Sorry, I haven't heard of that! I have some pain when the inside muscle fails to hold the kneecap in place, but otherwise I am great! I hope they can find the same relief for you! :happydance:

He claims that the hole is healed. Funny, every time I shave my legs, the thing breaks and bleeds like crazy. Wondering if anyone has any experience with the saphenous nerve or cortisone shots to relieve nerve pain. It is a week today and the pain and burning are the same if not worse. Hoping that it's just taking more time than usual.:yes:

Easy answer - don't shave your legs.! Sorry, couldn't resist. LOL. Merry Christmas

Seriously, how about trying one of those waterproof stick down dressings that could stay on for a few days so you can shower etc, and shave around it without worrying about it.

Thanks Margaret;)) It is finally closed! Huzzah. The saphenous nerve, however, has decided that it will not be quiet! It has gotten much worse. I'm unable to put any weight on the leg without burning searing pain. It seems such a cruel joke that this comes AFTER I was pain free and moving normally. I was able to shed 30 lbs with the increase in activity. I do know many of you have faced far worse set backs, but I'm so ticked off. We are in the middle of moving house, renovating one and preparing the other for sale. I just don't want this to be happening....as if any of us does. I will be undergoing a saphenous neurectomy asap. I'm sure it won't be too bad. Just hoping this is it. Seems there might be a stress fracture as well. Thanks for letting me vent. Any insight into this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Rosi, so sorry to hear you are still having problems. Try and take things as easy as you can (know THAT will be tough with all that's going on in your life now). Please let us know how you're doing!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member