Protein Supplements Before TKR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nananew

Country
United States United States
Just went to the pre-op class, and one thing they recommended was drinking a protein supplement for one week prior and two weeks post op. Has anyone heard of this? It makes sense but I son't want to add a lot of extra calories. Input please! Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

My doctor didn't recommend supplements, but he did tell me to eat a high protein diet after my infection and surgery. He said it would help the healing process, especially with my compromised soft tissue. So while I was in the hospital I had eggs and sausage for breakfast, family brought meatloaf or turkey from home for me and continued for a few weeks. Supplements may be easier after surgery because many people experience a lack of appetite after surgery.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with KarriB, you want to have enough protein for healing. I did have a protein drink just before midnight, the cut off time for water or food before my surgery.

My OS told me to get metabolic whey protein powder and have 2 servings a day for the next month or so until I have surgery. He said that it would help boost my system and help fight off infection better post-surgery. I did get MRM natural whey from Amazon.com (rich vanilla and dutch chocolate) and they are both very tasty! I mix them with yogurt, pudding, and almond milk so far. They are 90 calories per scoop and less than 1 mg of carbohydrates. I'm willing to do anything to make sure I heal well after I get my new knee!

Good luck to you!
Jen

Good nutrition is important for healing. My home health nurse who came to check on me actually gave me a sheet that showed the different functions of various vitamins etc in healing. No one ever talked about protein shakes, but it probably wouldn't hurt.

I got a list of foods high in iron, but no mention of protein shakes. I've been eating a lot of fresh fish and chicken. I may add the protein shakes post op. Slim fast makes a 20 gram protein shake that is tasty and only 160 calories.

RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 9/2016

Thanks for the information!

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

I am also doing the high protein. There are low cal protein shake mixes out there.

Of course it's important to eat a good, balanced diet. If your state of nutrition is already good, I'm not sure how much good loading up on protein before surgery would do. If you eat more protein than your body needs, it doesn't remain as protein, but is broken down into carbohydrates.

After all of my knee surgeries, my appetite was poor for at least a month. I just didn't fancy food. The only thing I could tolerate initially was soup and toast. Just the thought of a high-protein shake would have put me off eating altogether.
Once my appetite returned, I just ate my usual diet.

I had a good recovery every time.

I followed that routine for my PKR in May - kept using the protein drinks for a month. Healing went very well. I am believer.

I'm still drinking mine. Luckily, I've found that they work perfectly as a meal replacement and I don't have to eat much during the day, other than fruits and veggies. I had to go to almond milk though because I hate regular store milk and it seems to make my stomach upset. Much prefer raw milk, but don't have access to any on a regular basis! I'm hoping that I can just drink a protein drink after my surgery if I can't eat real food for a while!

Keep on keepin' on!!!

Jen

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
galvesean