Possible infection following a different surgery...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sassypants

Country
Canada Canada
Hi everyone!
I am now 8 months post RTHR and just had another surgery almost 2 weeks ago (unrelated on breast). I told my surgeon about my hip, consulted my Ortho nurse and nobody seemed too concerned although I was given a course of antibiotics following surgery (and the incision still became red and fiery). Now I have a gnawing, aching pain in my hip which had been pain free. How would I know if the joint had become infected? I am worried sick and wondering what to do.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Hi @Sassypants Sorry you are having a hard time. I can't really comment on your question regarding infection, but I will tag @Josephine for you. She should be able to help.

I hope you are feeling well soon and that everything turns out ok. Best wishes and God bless!

Hi @Sassypants , that must be very worrying. I don't have any experience with infected hips, so I'm just speculating... Is it possible that you got 'bashed about' during this recent surgery? Did you have a general anaesthetic? Some ops are pretty rough, so maybe you were laid on your hip, or it got hurt somehow...? How are you feeling generally? I think people with infections usually feel pretty ill. It definitely sounds like you should see a doctor and get it checked out... Best wishes!

Hi @Sassypants , good to see you back here but sorry it's due to this problem. Jo will be the best person to comment on your situation. Hang in there - she should be along soon!

So sorry to hear, let's see what Jo has to say - thinking of you from OZ xx

I wouldn't worry, my dear. Your breast op was carried out under sterile conditions so was unlikely to have any infection, right? And Fiona had it right - it's more likely you that while unconscious you got handled a bit roughly at some point so your hip is complaining. Pop a couple of Tylenol (1,000mgs!) and see how it goes. But I can promise you it's not an infection!

@Sassypants , I hope you feel a bit better after Jo's input. Please keep us updated!

Thank you all so much! I have been getting furrows on my furrows worrying about this. It just seems like I have that same hot pain that I (we all!) had prior to surgery. It might even be due to reduced activity over the recovery period...I'm hoping! Now I need to catch up with all of you BoneSmarties :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017