THR Nutcase's recovery journey

Time flies. Past 11 weeks and time for update and some questions :)

Over all, progress is continuing, but slooow. No major heaps.
Golfing is all fine. My muscle memory keeps protecting my hip from before surgery, but no pain. Just have to give my body time to realize that.
The pain in and around my incision has improved a lot, thankfully!

I'm still swollen over my upper thigh and still stiff in the flexors, guessing iliopsoas. I feel like this is affecting my gait. Not that I limp, but it feels like I'm not swinging my OP leg the same way I do my not OP leg. How long will I keep experience this swelling and stiffness? How was it for you guys (with the lateral approach)?

I'm also still not comfortable sleeping on my OP side. It's OK for a couple of minutes, then a pain comes creeping making me switch position. Any timeline on that one?
I know everyone is different in their recovery, but a ball park figure would be helpful :shrug:

Beautiful day here today, so I think I will do my exercise and stretch outside today :flwrysmile:

Nice update, took me awhile to sleep on either side, good thing I could sleep ok on my back. My issue was bursitis off & on.
I'd say maybe 6 month mark for me, but we are all different as you already know.
Recently I was laying on my belly to talk baby talk to a dog & I realized, "hey, when was last time I laid on my belly!"

How long will I keep experience this swelling and stiffness? How was it for you guys (with the lateral approach)?
I had a lateral and can reassure you that it took months for all of that swelling and stiffness to resolve. I didn't keep a detailed diary (the way I did with my knees) but I'm pretty sure it was the 5 or 6 month mark before my gait seemed "normal" again.

It just takes a lot of time for all the nerves and soft tissue to recover. Plus, we need to un-learn the bad habits of how we held our bodies pre-surgery!
Just keep moving -- things will continue to improve slowly. :flwrysmile:

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences. I know everyone heals at different speed but it’s nice to feel ‘normal’ in my somewhat meandering recovery journey.
Thank you :froggies:

You are very welcome, @Nutcase!

Have faith that you will get there -- with time. One day in a few months, you will be walking through a shop, or climbing a flight of stairs and you will suddenly realize "I didn't think about my hip at all today!"

:SUNsmile:

12 weeks today and I finally managed to pull a weekly report on the right day :heehee:

Feels like I hit the roller coaster again...
Have had some ache in and around my upper thigh when walking outside (both with nordic walking sticks and 'free' walking). Also mild/moderate pain in my groin (psoas, thought this pain was gone for good) walking uphill. Guessing it's part of the journey, but do we have anything on this? All normal to get som pain sneaking back after a couple of pain free weeks?

Other than that I guess everything is fine. Still can't wait to feel 'normal' again. Not that most of my regular life doesn't work, but a lot of movements feels a little 'off' and not like my usual me. Swelling in my upper leg persists, but I will prevail :old:

Now off on my new quest to find a tree for my terrace that, hopefully, will survive the winter. Feels like I need some zen in my life :mooncat:

Hi @Nutcase
The Sister/Brother hood of the traveling pains, yep.
Feels like I hit the roller coaster again...
Have had some ache in and around my upper thigh when walking outside (both with nordic walking sticks and 'free' walking). Also mild/moderate pain in my groin (psoas, thought this pain was gone for good) walking uphill. Guessing it's part of the journey, but do we have anything on this? All normal to get som pain sneaking back after a couple of pain free weeks?
Yes, and though we think we have done the same activity without issue, our new hip and still healing soft tissue say "That's enough of that... tightness still prevails usually and its easy to anger rehabilitating muscles and tendons...
Keep pushing forward but sloooowly.
You WILL get there.

Yep I sometimes have one good day and then two bad or the other way around even at 16 weeks. I’m looking forward to a whole week of good. We will get there!

Sooo.... where can I buy patience :heehee:
You are all so brilliant, taking your time to re-iterate the mantra of 'all will be OK with time' :loveshwr:
One would think I might have learned that by now, but every new dip still makes me wonder even though it bothers me less and less... Thank you :)

Morning Nutcase,
I had my surgery two years ago in February & also thought by May of same year I'd be walking & doing everything I did prior to falling & fracturing my hip but it did take me a little longer than I expected.
We had wedding to attend that May & I so wanted to be "cane free." But I wasn't.
Not the end of the world but I do understand how annoying it can be "waiting" to get better.
It comes in dribs & draps like a dripping faucet & then you turn it on full speed & "voila" you are fine!
But no worries about checking in here & stating your feelings, that's what we are all about here, sharing our experiences good and bad & just know you will get better.

@Nutcase Oh I think so very many of us know what you are talking about! I remember early on for me @benne68 said her doc said the patient muscle was the hardest to heal or something like that. At 16 weeks out with every lingering pain I find myself thinking what if something is really wrong? With every new pain I think what if something is really wrong? I try to focus on the good that is happening but that isn’t always easy. We will get there and we are all looking for that faucet that @myglasshalffull mentioned to be turned on full force. And btw @myglasshalffull I really liked that! You will get there!

Nothing unusual in the world of healing hips and muscles, then :). I like your approach @Nini focusing on the good things. Our focus is actually something we can control, at lest to some degree.
I liked the faucet metaphor too. Can't wait until the plumber arrives :martini:

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Have a great Thursday and weekend!
@Nutcase

nutcase,
Just a quick comment, new hips hate going uphill!
Stick to flatter ground if possible.
I can now go uphill no issues but those early days the hip gets really nasty!
Happy 3 months!

I agree with the hills. We have quite a slope going up to our backyard. Let’s just say it gets easier!

Thank you everyone :loveshwr:

Things are probably going better and better, even if it's hard to notice it on a daily basis.
If it wasn't for the swelling...

However I will stop going on about the swelling and embrace the saying of Astrid Lindgren, Swedish author of, among other, Pippi Longstocking.
The story goes that when she got old, she got tired of talking about illness and pain with her friends and instead started every conversation with " the death, the death, the death..." and after that they could talk about happier things.
So...

The swelling, the swelling, the swelling...
I've been up and about a LOT the last couple of days, going to a 2 day event at work. Standing is all fine even for longer periods, but sitting down in a regular chair for more than 30 minutes still doesn't please my hip. Walking is fine and I'm even gaining speed. Off course I'm getting tired in and around my hip, but I think that is because the swelling.
Getting stronger at the gym, but my god, it takes time to regain strength in my cut muscles. Still my patience is a big issue :heehee:

Moving around in my house, getting up and down from both sofas and floor, I'm actually no longer considering how I move. That is a big step forward to feeling normal again. Hoping to soon have the same feeling (or lack of feeling) when walking.

Have a great weekend all brilliant hippeis! :martini:

@Nutcase i know what you mean about not talking about anymore. I say that to myself every morning and then before I know it the ‘Let me show you where it hurts’ come tumbling out of my mouth.

. If you attended a two day work event you did really well!
Do you do much walking?

Haha... I think we deserve point for intention at least @Nini :heehee:

When it comes to walking I think I walk, maybe not much, but still some and it varies a lot. I don't go for 'walks' every day, but most of them and even when don't go for intentional walks I end up around 4-5000 steps or so.

Days when I go for walks I usually end up around 7-8000 steps and I also golf which means even more steps.

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Alabama girl57
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom