THR Nick's Hip

Yeah I was told "in 30 days you will be back to doing everything you were doing before hip surgery." Uh, no, I wasn't.
Thank goodness I found this forum and was able to dial back those expectations!

I thought I'd add a few more pearls of wisdom as I approach the 10 week mark, in case it was of any help to anyone.

Less of things I wish I'd known, and more things that I have to tell myself as recovery continues :

1. Things continue to improve - sometimes remarkably quickly and then you plateau and have to catch yourself forgetting how far you've come when you stagnate. For some reason over the last few days I've decided that I should be able to jog by now. Tried one pace and realised it was hurting so stopped. The time will come - it's just not now. The whole recovery thing reminds me of having a baby and waiting for them to walk. Whether they do it at 11 months or 15 months doesn't matter - they get there when they're ready and you will do the same
  2. It's ok to wear trainers with a suit! I tried wearing brogues at a trade fair and ended up in more pain than I have known for weeks.
  3. After 4 flights in 5 days I can confirm that you will always set off the security screening at airports. Top tip - remove your shoes - in fact remove everything you can (belt, watch etc) - and tap your hip as you make eye contact with the security staff - you get treated more sympathetically and limit the delays of having to go back and have your shoes scanned etc
  4. Sleeping has improved massively since the 7 week mark when I felt comfortable enough to lie on my side/front. I'm still conscious of the risk of dislocation but that fear is fading.
  5. At week 9, I went for the first walk when I was more comfortable than before the surgery. It was great to tip the balance for the first time when I was in less pain post the op than before. I appreciate some people are in real chronic pain before they have the op - so this might not apply to them. I hadn't reached that point - it was limiting things that I could do. But even so, it was great to do a 30 minute walk and feel better at the end of it than I would have done before the surgery.
  6. I continue to remind myself of the "THR Fairy Tales". Even today (when I'm feeling really positive) I got talking to somone in a coffee shop who told me that their father was transformed after his hip surgery - walking normally just a few days after surgery. Even though I know this is complete rubbish, it still dented my mood a bit. Crazy I know - and people don't mean any harm by it - it's just their memory playing tricks.
Hope this is a positive account. If anyone thinks they are ahead or behind the recovery curve, please don't worry. I am conscious by putting time markers in my recovery it might cause some to feel they are behind (of course some will be ahead). The message I want to get across is that it's an improving picture - markedly since the 7 week post op for me.

Best wishes to everyone.

I am conscious by putting time markers in my recovery it might cause some to feel they are behind (of course some will be ahead).
No worries, you're giving an honest account and we appreciate that. We often remind members that no two recoveries are alike, even with the same person. Thanks for taking the time to update. I wish you only the best as you continue the journey!

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I've been told by so many people that recovery from THA is a piece of cake, especially compared to TKA so I was expecting to be back to normal by now...I'm three weeks out. HA! I actually think my partial knee replacement was easier than this!. Fortunately, this forum is a reality check. (And I second that Oxford St at Christmas, even without crutches, is always a no go. LOL!)

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I've been told by so many people that recovery from THA is a piece of cake, especially compared to TKA so I was expecting to be back to normal by now...I'm three weeks out. HA! I actually think my partial knee replacement was easier than this!. Fortunately, this forum is a reality check. (And I second that Oxford St at Christmas, even without crutches, is always a no go. LOL!)
I would love to know how this rumour started of it being a piece of cake! Everyone I speak to who has had it done says the opposite. Thank goodness for this forum. Good luck!

I would love to know how this rumour started of it being a piece of cake!
Major surgery is NEVER a piece of cake! Especially one where the surgical team does carpentry work inside you!
You are still early days. It does get better: it just takes time! :flwrysmile:

Hi :wave:marlowtech,
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Best wishes as you move forward.
@marlowtech

Hi Marlowtech! It is not just the men who get impatient, us women do too… I can do most things now but still get frustrated about not being able to walk as far as I want to and still having stiffness. But I hang onto the advice here about it taking a year before getting there.

Your advice from the surgeons re reaching stages and staying there for a while was really helpful for me so thanks for posting!
Best wishes on your continuing recovery.

Good morning All,

So 5 months on and things have been overwhelmingly positive. But over the last 3 weeks or so I have been getting a niggle. Say a 1 or 2 out of 10. It’s noticeable if I’ve been sitting for a while as whilst walking.

I wanted to ask if this is normal. I feel slightly deflated as it had been pretty much pain free and now seems to have taken a dip. I should mention that my activity levels have gone up (500
Miles of cycling in April, plus golf and walking). Is it simply a case of doing a bit too much?

Thanks as always for this forum and its support.

Good AM,
Sounds like you are doing fantastic & your level of activity might be cause of some pain.
Dial it back a bit for a few days, ice the area & see if it improves.
Majority of my days I don't even know I had my hip replaced, but when I overdo (like the spring cleaning I'm doing now}, I can have a little ache. Plus we've had a lot of rain & damp weather & hip doesn't like that either, my body is like a barometer!

I can't wait to get back on my bike and start laying on the miles like this. But one observation... at my age an active day with only level 1 or 2 pain is a good day, regardless of hip and knee replacements!

Good morning All,

So 5 months on and things have been overwhelmingly positive. But over the last 3 weeks or so I have been getting a niggle. Say a 1 or 2 out of 10. It’s noticeable if I’ve been sitting for a while as whilst walking.

I wanted to ask if this is normal. I feel slightly deflated as it had been pretty much pain free and now seems to have taken a dip. I should mention that my activity levels have gone up (500
Miles of cycling in April, plus golf and walking). Is it simply a case of doing a bit too much?

Is it simply a case of doing a bit too much?
Take a couple days off and see what your body tells you. Then get back on the bike :)

Things are going to keep changing (positively) even past 5 months. For me, small jumps or hard heel landings didn’t feel good at 6 months but that discomfort went away by about a year, and now my trainer is putting a little bit of jumping into my strength workouts (coming up on 2y). So whatever is going on, there’s room for it to continue evolving and improving even from where you are at 5m.

Hi marlowtech,
Try not to feel deflated because it seems you're doing very well!
I agree about dialing it back as your body is likely signaling it's been too much activity recently. Remember that this recovery takes most a full year and you're only five months post op.
Enjoy...but at a slower pace. :wink:
@marlowtech

I would love to know how this rumour started of it being a piece of cake!
Marketing by orthopedic surgeons and their institutions is largely responsible. They compete for patients. For example, the opening paragraph of the website for Cleveland Clinic London claims:

"An 82-year-old patient with severe osteoarthritis of the hip resumed playing golf and tennis less than three weeks after having hip replacement surgery at Cleveland Clinic London. While rehabilitation from conventional hip replacement usually takes six to eight weeks, anterior hip replacement surgery provides a quicker recovery that is typically less painful, with almost zero risk of hip dislocation after surgery."

Reading this you are excused if you thought your recovery is "behind schedule".

Last edited:
@marlowtech i just saw your recovery thread for the first time and found it so incredibly helpful and inspiring! I am in day 15 of my THR recovery and really loved your Things You Wish You Knew Before Surgery, all spot on and a list I need to reference regularly to keep me sane in my recovery. My body is still very sore and bruised with new pains showing up in new places as other pains start to subside, but it’s definitely still a game of Whack-A-Mole as to what is uncomfortable from day to day. And Comparison is the Thief of Joy is brilliant and so true. It sounds like you are really making progress, hoping you get back to all the activities you love soon.

I am also a keen cyclist as you Brits would say. After my TKR last Sept and Before my April 10 THR I was back to riding my indoor cycle trainer about an hour several days a week. I managed one 16 mile outdoor ride but since this was through winter I was held back by the weather from doing more outdoor rides.

So, what did your surgeon say regarding what to do and not to do when resuming the indoor cycling? I got on mine and did an easy 5 minute pedal a few days ago and had no ill effects. But I am wary of trying to really pedal as my home PT guy said I should avoid a lot of repetitive motion for the healing hip flexors. I see my surgeon Monday and will be sure to seek his guidance. But I was curious what yours said, especially since he is a cyclist himself.

1. Getting on a static bike after 2 weeks - mentally this was a massive help. My surgeon is a keen cyclist and he advised me what to do and not to do - I think 2 weeks might be too soon for some people and I only managed 10 minutes the first time, but I was up and running (...well cycling)

Good AM,
Sounds like you are doing fantastic & your level of activity might be cause of some pain.
Dial it back a bit for a few days, ice the area & see if it improves.
Majority of my days I don't even know I had my hip replaced, but when I overdo (like the spring cleaning I'm doing now}, I can have a little ache. Plus we've had a lot of rain & damp weather & hip doesn't like that either, my body is like a barometer!
You are so right. Just have to listen to my body.

I can't wait to get back on my bike and start laying on the miles like this. But one observation... at my age an active day with only level 1 or 2 pain is a good day, regardless of hip and knee replacements!

Good morning All,

I know - if it’s not hips it’s knees. I
Is it simply a case of doing a bit too much?
Take a couple days off and see what your body tells you. Then get back on the bike :)

Things are going to keep changing (positively) even past 5 months. For me, small jumps or hard heel landings didn’t feel good at 6 months but that discomfort went away by about a year, and now my trainer is putting a little bit of jumping into my strength workouts (coming up on 2y). So whatever is going on, there’s room for it to continue evolving and improving even from where you are at 5m.
Thank you for your comment. I was wondering about jumping as that still hurts - good to know. I will be patient!

I am also a keen cyclist as you Brits would say. After my TKR last Sept and Before my April 10 THR I was back to riding my indoor cycle trainer about an hour several days a week. I managed one 16 mile outdoor ride but since this was through winter I was held back by the weather from doing more outdoor rides.

So, what did your surgeon say regarding what to do and not to do when resuming the indoor cycling? I got on mine and did an easy 5 minute pedal a few days ago and had no ill effects. But I am wary of trying to really pedal as my home PT guy said I should avoid a lot of repetitive motion for the healing hip flexors. I see my surgeon Monday and will be sure to seek his guidance. But I was curious what yours said, especially since he is a cyclist himself.

1. Getting on a static bike after 2 weeks - mentally this was a massive help. My surgeon is a keen cyclist and he advised me what to do and not to do - I think 2 weeks might be too soon for some people and I only managed 10 minutes the first time, but I was up and running (...well cycling)
Thanks for your comment. I am really wary of saying much because my surgeon may not agree with your surgeon. Having said that, one thing that made a lot of sense was to raise the handle bars so you’re not in an aero position which would put strain on the hip flexors. Low power and low cadence. And then just build from there. Hope it goes well for you

@marlowtech i just saw your recovery thread for the first time and found it so incredibly helpful and inspiring! I am in day 15 of my THR recovery and really loved your Things You Wish You Knew Before Surgery, all spot on and a list I need to reference regularly to keep me sane in my recovery. My body is still very sore and bruised with new pains showing up in new places as other pains start to subside, but it’s definitely still a game of Whack-A-Mole as to what is uncomfortable from day to day. And Comparison is the Thief of Joy is brilliant and so true. It sounds like you are really making progress, hoping you get back to all the activities you love soon.

Good luck with your recovery. I am sure you will do fine. For me it’s all a mental challenge much more than a physical one. Be kind to yourself.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads