Nausea with pain killers

Status
Not open for further replies.

DebbieHill

Hi
I am 51. Australian and have had rheumatoid arthritis for over 20 years. I am having both knees replaced on 2nd August. I am really looking forward to it as I see it as a positive move to improve my lifestyle.

My biggest concern is that I don't handle pain medication very well. Nearly everything I have tried after previous surgeries has made me nauseous or vomit and I am such a sook when I feel like that. I think I handle pain better than nausea.

I was thinking I would get by without pain medication but reading this forum I doubt very much that is going to happen.

Does anybody else have a sensitive stomach to pain medication and how do you get around it?

DebbieHill,

I do not do pain medicines well either. After my hip surgery I was fine until they started giving me pain pills, Percocets, I think. I was lightheaded, dizzy, nauseous , losing my balance and emotional. They shoved another dose of pain meds down me just before I went home, even though they knew I was so sick and the PT lady had to help me back to bed. I had an hour and half drive home and by the time I got to my bedroom I threw up big time. I was sent home with Lortab, but I did not take any of them. I do nothing more that Tylenol and Advil. I knew that I was going to be alone for long hours during the next two weeks and did not want to be having all of those symptoms while alone and possibly fall with no help around. I am sure from reading here that I probably had a harder time with some things, but I managed. I was also on a coated aspirin 2x a day for 6 weeks and on 1 Celebrex pill once a day, so I was unable to take other OTC medicines.

I am sure you will receive lots of advice from others on how they handled the pain meds. I would say that most people do use the pain meds to help them control their pain and help with the exercises. I did start taking Tylenol and Advil together when I was off of the aspirin and Celebex. It did help me.

From what I have read on here about the knees, and you are having both knees done, you will need the pain meds to help you and to help you get through the PT exercises.

Jo and Jamie and others will be along to help you out with this.

Good luck with your surgery.

Welcome! I don't have any info for you but glad to here about your impending surgery and yes you will have a new lease on life and be able things without pain.

Good luck!

Hi, Debbie....welcome to BoneSmart!

Lots of folks have problems with nausea when using pain meds. It can be handled by taking specific drugs for the nausea and/or changing the pain medication you take until you find one that doesn't give you that reaction. Make sure you are taking the meds with some food (a couple of crackers or a cookie is good).

This is one time you need to be very assertive and insist on the nursing staff and doctors addressing your problem immediately. Talk about it before surgery and let them know immediately when something doesn't feel right. There are many, many options for pain relief. There really is no need for you to only use over-the-counter pain meds. Your body NEEDS more serious pain medication following joint replacement.

Hi DebbieHill! Welcome to BoneSmart.

I have major problems with most medication as well. But what I learned is the ask for anti-nausea medication both pre-op and while you are on the major pain killers in hospital. Ask for some to take home as well if you are sent home with the strong stuff.

Nausea is a very common side effect from both the anesthesia and meds. Staff are quick to help you with this so don't be afraid to ask during your pre-op discussions and remind them again on the day.

All the best to you!

We did have a young man (about 24, if I recall) who had serious problems with all sorts of pain killers and he had to have his knees done. He had no pain killers at all and it was tough! But he used other things like ice and meditation. Sadly I cannot remember his name.

However, as Jamie has already said, even the nausea can be controlled by anti-emetics. It's really something you need to talk over with your surgeon and the anaesthetist.

:thnk:
Thank you everybody for the kind welcome, and the reassuring words. The anaesthetist has said he will give me an epidural and then the morphine pump. I know I will be very reluctant to push the button though, but I will if I feel the need.

I am not exactly sure how much pain to expect. I know some days I try to get out of bed and I think there is no way the pain could be worse post operative than it is now, but I may be in for a shock.

The only pain medication I am allowed to take now is paracetamol which at best takes the edge of the pain. I do take the occasional Naprosyn when things get too out of hand, but my doctors have told me to take this very sparingly. I have had ulcers (one perforated) caused by arthritis medications over the years so I have become a little protective over my stomach.

I am so glad I found this forum because it gives me the opportunity to vent my feelings to people who I know understand because they have been through it.

DebbieHill, you will be shocked post op. Shocked that the pain is gone! The pain you are having now is way worse than the post op pain. I know it's hard to believe - but it' true! Especially since you are having a spinal. I'll bet you have a good nights sleep that first night.

I sympathise Debbie with the sickness from meds I take anti sickness drugs every day and still feel sick most days until bedtime at least but I know when I have come off the meds that cause sickness I can't deal with the pain :( so I have to put up with feeling sick :(

The morphine pump however didn't make me feel sick when I had it for my last op it just made me feel drunk(hapy drunk!) and itchy!

Hopefully the anti sickness drugs will work for you xx

Debbie....I hope you won't let the morphine pump scare you. It's there to help you with your pain and it will if you use it. You cannot overdose or become addicted. The doses are timed and no matter how much you press that button, you're only going to get a "shot" in intervals that are preset by the doctor and nurses. Frankly, sometimes just being able to push the button helped me...even though I knew I wasn't getting any medicine right then....it's a mental thing.

Can you meet with your anesthesiologist ahead of time and discuss this? If meds bother your stomach will they let you take injections for pain at home? Never heard of it being done but it's worth asking. I give myself injections of Enbrel twice a week for my RA.

Also ask about getting a TENS machine at home. It gives electrical current in the knee to help with pain and swelling. I use it at my physical therapist and it's wonderful!

Hi Debbie,
Jamie's right about having crackers (or some type of food) with any pain med you take. You're right - you will be requiring pain management post op when you get home to help you sleep, get through the days and nights, and get through PT, particularly after bilats. There are a number of anti nausea meds available orally. Talk to your surgeon as well as they will be writing the prescriptions for at home use. In the US, Zofran is a great med for nausea and vomiting prevention, although pricey here.
Good luck! You'll find lots of great support and information on this site. It's helped me, both preop and in recovery, so much!:cch:
Martha
BTKR 4/7/10

I did ok with the oral pain meds. they dont make me dizzy, sleepy or anything. When I came out of OR, I had a PCA, but it was filled with dilaudid, which is a very powerful pain medicine. When I have my left one done, Im going to ask specifically for morphine. Dilaudid was too strong. Actually had to have phenergan one time to counteract the nausea. What you are hearing here is true, the preop pain is worse than the post op pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Riveralex
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom