My mom's bilateral knee replacement, advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

spathak

Country
India India
My mom who is a 69 year old and has problem or diabetes and hypertension and obesity.
She is suffering from OA in her knees and some pain in her back too.
My doctor who is very experienced with knee surgeries says it is possible to do the half knee but will only take a final decision on OT table after he has oped the joint the worst one first.
Is there a way for me to know in advance by any diagnostic test like CT , MR etc?
All advice are welcome

Welcome to BoneSmart @spathak . I'm going to tag our medical expert here for her input on your mother's situation @Josephine .

My doctor who is very experienced with knee surgeries says it is possible to do the half knee but will only take a final decision on OT table after he has opened the joint the worst one first.
spathak, I'm a little confused - what do you mean by a 'half knee'? Is the surgeon planning to do a partial knee on one side and a total on the other?

If this be the case, it's very common for surgeons to hold off on a definite decision until he gets a good look inside the joint as this often reveals more than any scans or xrays. I would trust a doctor like that much more than I would trust one who set his mind before he got anywhere near the operating theatre!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties