Mildly irritated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You were a very good advocate for yourself today. Good for you! And shame on him for making you feel bad. Please don't dwell on that. He is not reasonable. What kind of post-op care is he practicing if he thinks "everyone" should do anything at the exact same time? Nonsense.

Stick to your guns, and don't feel bad about asking for more meds. Docs should realize that even making us feel bad for asking is counter-productive for recovery.

I hope you get some much needed relief now.
Best Wishes, Kimberly

Doctors! Let me get at his wotsits - he'll soon be swallowing those percs like there's no tomorrow!

Mildly irritated.

The only jerk and loser is your OS as he is totally nuts to think at 2 weeks you don't need heavy duty pain meds. The fact you could not do PT is a clear indication you are not the whimp.

If you need more help, contact your primary care doc (PCP) as they know you better and can get you on track.

If you continue not to get satisfaction from the OS, you have the right to change doctors.

Simon

Kim I told my surgeon about my pain management doc changing the time between doses. I also told him how every 3 hours this horrendous pain starts returning. He told me just to take them as needed and he will get me more after surgery if I run out. that was such a relief.

I know you got 30 today, make an apt with your primary care as i have a little suspicion that yuo will need more. I had a hip, but used percocet for more like 4 months.
judy

Yep!!! Hang in there, Kim!!! :evil::evil:
:thmb:

Two weeks.....is he on drugs?????! The surgical pain may start subsiding by then, but the muscle strain from being cut and the pain that comes with rebuilding the quads is incredible. 800mg of ibuprophen may be fine at 3-4 months but definitely not 2 weeks. Your OS is in his own reality. Shame on him for lecturing you on what your pain levels should be!!!! He needs to improve on his bedside manner and get a dose of reality.

You are not a loser! You are a realist and are identifying a true need. The fact that the pain is still there is an indication that you are not addicted. Those who are addicted continue to take the meds even when the pain is gone. That is a quote from my massage therapist, and I agree 100%.

Bless you for taking a stand. Remind him you are paying him and will not put up with such disdain! I had a choice between two fine surgeons. One was like your, demeaning, the other was the one I choose. He listens and then offers wise choices. Maybe you should consider a new OS and write a letter to the hospital who employs him for your reasons for switching. Word of mouth advertising is very effective. He just may find himself looking for a new line of work!

Thats funny how different the OS are, my doc is giving me 100 count bottles at a time and tells me to take them as prescribes which is 1-2 every 4-6 hours as needed, percocet 10's. I take them as needed and I'm doing good, it seems some docs are stingy with them due to the fact of all the druggies out there but I agree let someone cut parts of their leg out and use a hammer to drive in new pieces, they would all understand why the drugs are needed.

I must say this, I love my current OS but I went through 4 before finding the one I wanted to do my replacement, one of my reject's told me that to many people depend on pain pills after the surgery and they get hooked on them and he believed in using over the counter meds after the TKR. What are these Bone Heads thinking? As you can see he didnt get my business,

I think I must add that question to my list in the "How to choose" post.

Josephine, you make me laugh out loud, dearheart!

Thank you everyone, for your encouragement and kind words. I'm doing much better today. I don't know if it's psychological or what, knowing pain relief is close at hand should I need it. I've been quite active today (and most likely will pay for it later) in that I've been doing stretching exercises and straightening exercises all day long. Plus, don't tell my therapist, but I've actually been walking around my bedroom sans crutches. My knee feels quite stable and strong. Longer walks (where I don't necessarily have a large piece of furniture to steady myself) is where I have been using one crutch, and of course, still use two on the stairs.

I actually stepped UP the top stair with my left leg today, mild help from crutches, but it was mostly my own leg strength going up the stair. I have burning behind my kneecap now, silly me, but I did do it. I had something to prove to myself, I guess.

I sure appreciate this forum and the support you all give!

Thanks so much!

Rose, dear Rose - please don't do stretches and things 'all day long'. Have a period of an hour - 2 if you have to - and then rest. Rest is just as important. Make haste slowly, remember? Overdoing exercising is as bad as not doing enough as you can end up with injuries and inflammation that will set you back.

Rose, dear Rose - please don't do stretches and things 'all day long'. Have a period of an hour - 2 if you have to - and then rest. Rest is just as important. Make haste slowly, remember? Overdoing exercising is as bad as not doing enough as you can end up with injuries and inflammation that will set you back.

Yes'm. I will behave. I should say that it hasn't been continuous exercising, just stopping what I'm doing and doing a few stretches in the midst of other things I'm doing.

(And I'm assuming you meant me and not actually Rose (Motherofmany) since I'm the one who was talking about exercising all day. I apologize if you didn't mean me! LOL)

Rose, I did the same thing. I felt like I wasn't making good progress, so started doing stretches and all kinds of stuff throughout the day. Ended up with really sore muscles in the back of my calf and thigh. They have to be done, but I guess with moderation. I usually swing from too much to too little....
I still think you should be able to have stronger pain killers at least for awhile. I feel bad for you about that.

Hey Kim glad your doing better you will get there take it easy do your excercises we are all pulling for ya ........)

Yes'm. I will behave. I should say that it hasn't been continuous exercising, just stopping what I'm doing and doing a few stretches in the midst of other things I'm doing.

(And I'm assuming you meant me and not actually Rose (Motherofmany) since I'm the one who was talking about exercising all day. I apologize if you didn't mean me! LOL)

Yes - sorry - I did mean you, Kim! :doh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties