Left TKR for me in the near future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladyluck

Country
United States United States
I am scheduled to have my Left knee replaced on Aug, 19, 2014. I have met with Dr. Kozinn only
once, Has anyone had a TKR by this Orthopedic Surgeon? He is located in Scottsdale AZ. I have read may reviews about him and there are many that say he is very arrogant but a lot of them say he is a very good surgeon. I would really like to here from someone that has had there knee replaced by him.......Ladyluck

No, but Ihave to say that I met with my OS only one time before my tkr surgery. In retrospect, I wish that I had told him that I am very limber---then he would have made my knee a little tighter and I would not have needed a revison.

@Ladyluck Welcome to bonesmart! Most people see their doctor more after their surgery than before. I would think how good a doctor is would be a lot more important than his/her personality. I wish you a speedy recovery when you have your surgery.

I only met with my surgeon once prior to the day of surgery. I guess most people would call him arrogant. Fantastic surgeon, though, which is why I went to him and have absolutely no regrets! I had a rheumatologist tell me once that all surgeons are arrogant….comes with the territory.

Have been with my OS for 20 yrs, seen him plenty of times.
Back to see him on monday, where he may finally set a date for a rtkr for me.
Mind you, I started seeing him because the other OS's I had seen prior were gung ho, he is reticent about surgery, and believes in less surgery is better. I have had 3 scopes on my right knee, and two on my left in that time.. Until early this year, they were being managed well. No improvement after last arthroscope, so now time for a more agressive strategy.
In the end, you have to trust them.

I know the most important thing is to have a great surgeon but it would be nice to be able to talk with him regarding my fears and questions about my surgery without feeling that I am putting him out. Thank you all so much for your replies.

I have had 2 arthroscope on my left knee and have had the cortisone shots for about a year and a half. The shots don"t work anymore and my everyday activities have greatly lessoned. It is time to have it done.

Has anyone followed anyones TKR from the beginning? I would like to really know what to expect as far as pain from when they get home from the hospital, how long they needed pain medication, what kind of physical therapy they did, When they actually started exercises and what they did and how long it took them to return to there everyday lifestyle without pain. Don't want a lot ( Ha Ha ).

I only met with my surgeon twice prior to the surgery.

but it would be nice to be able to talk with him regarding my fears and questions about my surgery without feeling that I am putting him out.
Some OS's do nto have great people skills---perhaps that is why they gravitate toward the surgical side of medicine. I have met surgeons who do not have great bedside manner; I was lucky---the OS who performed my BTKR was excellent in all aspects---including the ability to communicate effectively and with empathy. Ultimately, though, it is the surgeon's skill that is paramount when it comes to a TKR--but do not be afraid to meet with him and express your fears, your concerns, or to ask your questions---that is what it is all about.

Has anyone followed anyones TKR from the beginning? I would like to really know what to expect as far as pain from when they get home from the hospital, how long they needed pain medication, what kind of physical therapy they did, When they actually started exercises and what they did and how long it took them to return to there everyday lifestyle without pain. Don't want a lot ( Ha Ha ).
Take a look at the threads in the TKR Recovery Section of this forum---you can follow folks from litterally the moment that they first post after surgery to the time that they decide to move forward and possibly leave the forum.

You should not be in a great deal of pain (if any) after surgery. The pain meds should help to control the pain that you have. There certainly will be some discomfort, (you did have major, surgical trauma) but the pain meds, if prescribed and taken properly, should alleviate most of the issues.

I was---and many of us---were up and out of the bed the same day or the next day after surgery. They got me out of bed and to a chair the afternoon of my surgery, and I was up and walking (slowly and not too far) the next day.

Every TKR and recovery are different. A few recover fairly quickly, but most of us recover at a slower pace than we thought ---recovery takes longer than we think it would or should. It took me five months to lose a slight little pesky limp---at six months, I was at 80%-85%; at eight months I was at 90%-95%. In essence, there is really no "normal" when it comes to recovery---everyone's recovery is unique and different.

The shots don"t work anymore
SynVisc worked all of three days for me---cortisone got me eight months. Then it was time for the BTKR.

Thanks for your reply. How are you doing now? It looks like you may have had your surgery in 2007. Did you have a nerve block. Can you tell me if and when you actually started with exercising and what you did to get to your final recovery?

I'm not sure how to write in this Forum or how to follow anyone.

You are doing fine! I am dong great---I umpire HS and college baseball games---I umpire about 100 games a year. I also cycle about 120-160 miles a week, and I am very active, as work part-time on a produce farm---hopping in and oput of trucks, up and down from tractors, carrying crates of produce, etc.

I was going to PT in the rehab unit when I was in the hospital, and, when I came home, PT came to me twice a week and then I went to outpatient PT twice a week. I was doing exercises (albeit gentle) on my own while in the hospital---you will not be bedridden, but this is nto a type of recovery for "no pain, no gain"---it is , rather, "no pain, more gain."

To get to my final recovery, I had to be patient and it took about eight or nine months. Some recoveries take longer---upwards to a year---and some recoveries take less time, as everybody's recovery is different and unique.

As for the surgical anesthetic, I had a spinal and some "happy juice." The last thing I remember was the anesthesiologist telling me, "You are going to feel a little drowsy now..." The next thing I know, I am being wheeled to recovery!

I'm not sure how to write in this Forum or how to follow anyone.
You can go to your own thread and write any question, concern, or comment that you have, and you can do the same to any other thread in the forum too---you are doing fine.

In order to follow somebody, go to this spot
How To Use This Forum and it will give you all of the tips to help you through any question that you may have about how to get the most out of the forum.

What kind of physical therapy did they give you when they came to your home and when you went to them?

Thanks so much for your help.

It's really good to here that you are able to do so much activity.

@Ladyluck You should have a therapist come to your hospital room. He/she will give you a printout of exercises to do. They are all gentle - heel slides, leg lifts, ankle pumps, etc. The therapist will show you how to do them all. Your leg will feel like dead weight for a week or so after surgery. My husband used the cane, handle under arch of the foot, to lift his leg to do excercises and to get it in and out of bed. Everyone heals differently, age plays a role, as does the damage you have in your leg, muscle strength, attitude, other medical issues. If you look at some of the people on recovery area you will see it really varies. Just be prepared that it is a long recovery. My husband is doing very well at about 4 3/4 weeks post. He had home pt for awhile , they would come in and measure his ROM, see how he was doing give him some new exercises and encourage him. He goes to the hospital 3 times a week now for pt. exercise bike, balancing, walking steps, and several other things. He walks without cane, does great on the stairs, was off his pain meds Wednesday, but went back on them at bedtime because of sleep issues ( a common complaint). Hope this has beeen of some help.

Tiredwife,
Yes, you have been very helpful. Did your husband do any pre-op exercises? I am starting to do some exercises now but they are hard to do because I am in a lot of pain and haven't been as active as I used to be. I guess it's PARR for the course, I wouldn't be having this surgery if I wasn't having any pain. I keep hearing that the physical therapy is extremely important.

@Ladyluck his surgery was kind of a last minute (cancellation I believe) he didn't have much time for much preperation. He isn't retired and his job requires a lot of work on a ladder and walking. I think exercise would be a very good idea, do what you can without damaging your knees further. Physical therapy is important, so your knee won't get stiff. It seems to be harder to get your leg straight, than the bending of it. My husband's is straight once in awhile, it varies right now. His bend (flex) is pretty good, hasn't been measured in awhile. He goes to PT 3 days a week. The doctor said he really had to work on his leg during surgery to get it straight. His surgery was a bit long at 3 1/2 hours. Hope all goes well with you.

Thanks tired wife.

I was wondering if anyone an tell me what kind of ice packs are easy to use. Do they need to have velcro to wrap around your leg? Do they usually give them to you in the hospital?

I would like to get everything ready in advance just like I'm sure all of you did. I also like to know about compression stockings, and what type of pillow is best for elevating your leg.

@Ladyluck my husband had a bunch of gel packs (about 5 x 9) from clean out surgeries on shoulders and knees. We just wrap them in clean (I bought new) dishtowels and hold them in place with a 6" wide ace bandage. He uses one on the knee and one on the back of his knee. We also got an ice machine that was sent home with us from the hospital (insurance paid for it), it is nice at night because the gel packs don't last all night. Resently we bought an ice/hot pack from Walgreens that has a little vibrator in it, not for the knee, but for his thigh muscle that has a really tight spot (we think from the tourniquet). It has it's own velcro strap.

I just called my surgeons cordenator about the ice packs and she said you really don't need ice packs because of the compression stockings. I asked her about elevating my leg and she said they don't want you to be sitting around elevating your leg you need to be moving around the house. From everything I read on this site, it doesn't make sense. What are your thoughts? She has been with my surgeon for 12 years and my surgeon does 300 or more a year. I am more confused now then I was when I started my research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
galvesean
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom