MUA Limited ROM - CRPS

@Wrangler, as you're finding out, progress often comes in baby steps. You ARE getting there! Slowly, but surely! Hang in there!

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®

57 today. The inside of my knee is causing me grief tonight. Only two weeks left before I see my OS again. I am a bit worried about my appointment as he will be concerned about my lack of ROM. MUA worries ...

Wishing everyone a healthy and happy new year!

I was almost a candidate for MUA. Here is how my OS plans for it: if his patients are less than 90° at six weeks, he prescribes extra PT and a follow-up appointment two weeks later. If low flexion continues he suggests MUA at ~12 weeks. Other surgeons offer MUA closer to eight weeks.

I squeaked through my six week post-op appointment because my flexion jumped from 70° (at three weeks) to *barely* 90°, with extension +8°. Gains have been gradual since then. I believe my ROM is higher in the morning and lower in the p.m. or after overdoing, but I don't have a goniometer to measure.

I still experience moderate swelling and unfortunately can't take anti-inflammatories. Though I assume my flexion will continue to improve over time, I get bouts of concern, frustration, and impatience interspersed with optimism. Some days I want an MUA!

A friend of mine had MUA same day as my LTKR. She is back to work and feeling great! So I would say if it turns out you need the MUA don't be afraid, but don't rush into it, either.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! Watching the Rose Parade in TV- gorgeous day and Pasadena is so close, but I have never seen the parade in person. Next year!!!

Though I assume my flexion will continue to improve over time, I get bouts of concern, frustration, and impatience interspersed with optimism.

Couldn't have said it better. I just got back to 57 degrees - I got to 57 a few weeks ago with pain and then regressed to 35. But, I am optimistic that I can get past this "number" now that I have been letting my knee guide me.

The Rose Parade would be fantastic up close and personal. Enjoy your day!

Well you know some of that bend is in there then. Keep up with the the icing, elevating and exercises a couple of times a day.

Having patience with this whole healing process is very difficult at best. I was at 85 ROM the first day out of the hospital and then a few days later down to 65 for several weeks. My PT said that if I didn't improve I would need to have a MUA. I was not wanting that! So ever so slowly I have been doing more heel slides like Josephine said to do and now at 10 weeks I made it to 103 at PT last week! I guess I needed to wait a little longer for the swelling to go down more so I could get my numbers up without a lot of pain. Keep trying you'll make it!

Great news! :friends: thanks for keeping us posted on your progress.

I had to cancel my pt appointment today as I have the flu. I did my pt at home but I seem to have lost ROM. I will be interested to see the numbers - my next appt is on Wednesday. I see lots of rest,ice and elevation in my future.
Thanks @numbzee for sharing - gives me hope.
@kneeper thanks for your continued support!

Bummer that you have the flu . You don't need all this extra discomfort and pain on top of your knee surgery.
Over the weekends my ROM numbers go down a little until I get back to PT three times a week. They work you much harder than we do at home of course. I bought the long green strap so I can continue to do the stretching exercises and it helps. I'll be thinking about you and hope you feel better soon.

I've been getting a lot of rest and am hoping that my flu is done with me.

My knee isn't bending much but it sure feels much better. The pain is very manageable and I can do knee slides and leg lifts easily now. Feeling optimistic! :)

Good to hear that you are feeling better and you are able to do knee slides and lifts! . You're getting better that's great news. Hang in there

Hi @Wrangler
So glad to hear that the flu is getting better. Nothing worse than being sick after you have a tkr. Just makes it hurt some.
Don't worry about your knee and ROM right now. You have to work on getting better. When we are sick our bodies take a hit. And if we do to much we get weaker and it takes longer to get better. Once you feel much better you will be able to do your exercises and stretches and work on your flexion and extension. Before you know it the bend will be there.
Dana

Got to physio today - still at 57 degrees. But feeling good!!

Glad you are better. You see your OS soon, right?

Hi @Wrangler I hope you are feeling better don.'t worry it will all be alright. I learned how to do it right when I came to bone smart. Not finding this great place till I was wore out , scared, so upset, in so much pain and just needing of care kindness. My husband was always there encouraging me but so lost in the confusion of trying to bend my stiff, very very swollen leg. They are right it gets easier once the swelling goes down and the more pushing and coaxing my leg the more everything got more swollen. Pt is alright to help with doing the exercises but not all pt understand what is involved how much rest is needed to let our poor knee heal and how much we need encouragement , and gentle treatment understanding.:yes!::yes!::yes!:

I did it the wrong way first time around allowed my pt and others to push me so hard that my rom dropped from 85 which surgeon was happy with down to 50 everything hurt and the more told the rom would have to get better by pt the more I did pushing to get it back up. I was a mess, cried so much started out with a positive outlook no problem till first in home pt and that was when the stress and pain started. I did not gain more then 80-90 degrees for a long time and then just the other day when pt came to check me for my second knee replacement asked her to measure my other knee and like they said it did get better I now have 115 degrees without any idea it had gained . Rom is only needed to help you do things the more rom the easier to bend but it takes time not all recoveries are the same just as my recovery this time so far is nothing like my last recovery.:friends:

I had my left knee to think about so right surprised me so they are right just because it did not happen right away does not mean it did not happen was so excited. This time left hospital with 75 degrees on left knee. Taking it slower doing my exercises but not to the extent I did last time getting lots of little walks in back and forth to the commode which is on our main floor during the day . I have pain but no where near as much as last pacing myself and finding walking with the walker is less painful then sitting down.

I have this time around a good pt she is gentle and understands what I am willing to do in the way of not allowing aggressive pushing this time. I have explained to her why so hesistant about pt she was upset to hear that pt had cause this much anguish. She comes once a week and spends maybe 1/2 with me encouraging, helps me, in one week I have with little pushing just gentle stuff 7 degrees in my flex. Slow and steady wins the race and gentle care to you and your knee the way to get along your path the best way, not as upset this time around worried it would never be right needed to push to gain but that was wrong. Last surgery went back and forth 3 times a week so expensive and so exhausted this pt was not gentle and not at all encouraging.

My wound has also healed great, like night and day this recovery. So hard the first time around warned at the time of 2nd week by pt that unless bend gets better mua would happen. Not going to change this time staying strong on my way doing it the bone smart way wish I had found them last time earlier not till 3rd week but so happy to have this time all along the way. I told one pt it is easier said then done she had no idea what the pain level was for me mostly more then 10 such unnecessary reasoning and so painful.

Keep coming back you will find your path much better smarter to go easy then inflict pain that should not happen. I am so much further along this time even if it is mentally happier, enjoying the changes that have happened since surgery happy with progress.:yes::yes::yes::yes: hope it keep going this way if not it will come when it comes. hard to stay patient but be patient for yourself pt as they say works for the patient and need to listen to how the patient who is paying them feels so does the surgeon he works for you paid to do this surgery and part of the surgery is listening after the surgery he is paid to do this if something is wrong he needs to find out why.

Hoping not to loose rom but knowing it will come back just listen to your body it will tell you when you need to slow down. It has just went through lots of things during surgery. I know as this time they did not put me to sleep just my legs but I to my surprise was fully awake and wow thought with the sounds on the other side of the sheet that they were building something like a construction site.

It did not scare me actually felt absolutely nothing at all nothing but heard them working away it was kind of interesting did not think I could have did it this way but for some reason I was not asleep so knowing that lots went into doing this surgery. Care taken to make sure it was done right so why should they ask us after all of that to let anyone undo what they took time to put right. I won;t let anyone this time intimidate me, will not allow any thing that will do damage to my new knee or me.

Please be kind to yourself understand how major this surgery you have survived is and how far you have come you made it through. Wishing you a gentle recovery, say no when it is not gentle, take delight in all you have accomplished even though these may seem small still how much you have accomplished and how nice it will be when you are healed to have a strong knee which will take you places that were probably not so easy to get to before. All the best Holly:ok::):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Hi wrangler
Being sick will hold you back some. Now that you are feeling better it'll start to do better. Be nice to yourself and your knee.
Dana

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

@kneeper yes, I see my OS on the 14th. I am dreading the appointment. I am at 59 degrees and still experience immense pain when I try and push for more ROM. I am worried that the OS will 'play' with my knee to see what's going on. My brother is going to come to the appointment with me for moral support. I am going to be direct with my OS re: my expectations (NO PAIN).

@lavender - thank you for stopping by and for your kind and inspirational words. It has been a roller coaster ride of emotions but I feel strong and optimistic these days. I do revel in the small victories but in all honesty am scared I will need an MUA. I don't want the pain back. These days I am sore during and after PT and occassionally at night but it is manageable. I do not want to return to the unmanageable pain. I have read both good and bad accounts of MUAs but I am hoping to avoid having one. I will continue on my path of gentle recovery and will only consider an MUA if I plateau for a couple weeks. I doubt my OS will be on the same page but in the end it is my decision. I was pleased to read that your second knee replacement recovery went so smoothly and can relate to the pain and frustration you experienced with your first knee replacement.

I have PT on Monday - I am hoping to get past 60!!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties