THR Life begins at 40 with a THR for Cantabrigian

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are absolutely right @Cantabrigian , so we are all good.
It is interesting how things vary from country to country and OS's within country.
But, right now, as the song goes.... don't worry, be happy!

Oh I want a martini really bad!!!!!!! :martini: But, will wait. It will be oh so worth it.

@MajorHeidi Sounds like you have the pain meds down to a science!! As long as you are comfortable, I would think it is the right amount for you. :yes:

Hi @Cantabrigian it sounds like you are doing really well. I truly find all the different med names hard to follow from country to country

I am on targin (slow release oxycodone/ naxolone) x 2
Panadine forte (paracetamol/codeine) for breakthrough pain every 4-6 hrs
Endone (oxycodone) for breakthrough pain - rarely take this now

There is other stuff too but these are the ones for pain

The reason some surgeons don't use a drain is because it can introduce infection so some don't like to use it.

Bruising.....I find it quite interesting how some of us bruise a little or very significantly. I bruised pretty much not at all on my leg and put it down to icing all the time. I was super surprised because I bruise very very easily....from scratching myself, to a staffordshire dog jumping on me, to walking into something...I've had some major bruising. If fact I had so many bruises from the IVs and bloods whilst in hospital that everyone was commenting on it (I'd make a bad drug user!!!! Too obvious) so it surprises me that I had barely any around my incision.....

Anyway...that's my rather long insight.....

Keep up the good work Cantabrigian

Indeed @Vetgirl , the bruising issue is a funny one.
I have had bruises come out over the last few days in places I didn't think had been touched! lol

These areas are where I have some pain at present (eg top of the thigh, bottom of the buttocks). This is most likely due to how I was on the table, but it doesn't make for long, confortable nights. I am really yearning to be able to sleep on my right side, but it is still too tender. :(
Hence the 5.15am "wake up call" today lol

I hear you @Cantabrigian ...I remember I found a bruise near my boob from the first surgery and figured it was from the table. After the first surgery, I didn't try sleeping on my side until 6 weeks but this time I tried at about 3 weeks using my wedge pillow which is fantastic and supports the hip. Lying on unoperated side of course.

It looks a bit like this but doesn't open up

https://www.plasmetic.com/images/leg-wedge-pillow.jpg

Xxx

Day 8 post-op.... already!!
Other than little walks around the house, for everyday activities, I have been trying to get outside for a proper walk.
Each day I try to go a bit further. Today I made it as far as the chemists'. Usually this is a 3 minute walk each way with my long legs, walking at a steady pace; today, the round trip took 1/2 hour, including a natter with the chemist, but it was very rewarding to manage it.

I think I counted just under 400 smallish steps each way... not a bad achievement I feel. What are other people managing in the first few days at home....?

(I'm still a fair way from putting my socks on, so there is still a way to go lol).

Sounds like you are going great...don't worry about those socks and if 1 day you don't feel up to your walk or going the whole way...that's ok too

Sounds like you are going great...don't worry about those socks and if 1 day you don't feel up to your walk or going the whole way...that's ok too
Fortunately I have a very helpful wife for the socks. :)

Re the walk, I went round 1/2 the village today it seems, extending my stroll to 1100+ steps (here I am counting 1 step as a left+right=1). It felt good too, with the thigh. a bit tight when I got home, but pain levels were only 2-3. As such, no PKs for me since I got up at 9:)

Ah a stroll through the French villages and countryside....you know you have all of us this side of the Atlantic (or at least moi) as jealous as can be.

Sheryl from Pittsburgh
LTHR on 4/2/2014
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®

@Cantabrigian are you doing your walks outdoors with walker, crutches, cane, nothing?
I am using the fitbit to track my steps so far all indoors thru day 6. So far today thru 6:30pm Eastern I have
gone about 1210 steps with about 51/2 more hours til bedtime.
I know its nothing considering people try to get 10000 steps per day when they are normal not recovering
hippies.

@Cantabrigian Just catching up on your thread and it sounds like you're doing great. Count me in with @Me2, jealous of the walk through the village:) Let's see, a few days ago it was 73 F, here in blink your eyes and the weather changes New England, and today we woke up to snow and freezing temps. I'd be happy to get a walk in two days in a row. Keep up the good work:)

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®

Oh dear... all this jealousy.... Perhaps I should refrain from telling you about all the excellent food and wine we have too....? :heehee:
The magnolias are more or less done, but the lilac trees are all blooming now, and everywhere looks beautiful, especially the wysteria in my garden. :)

On a serious note though, I have been doing my walks outside with just 1 elbow crutch, and do most walking in the house unaided now. I don't have a personal goal with the number of steps; I just want to get back to something approaching normality.

As an aside, when have my fellow hippies got back into thenswimming pool...?
p.s. @MajorHeidi , @Me2 , @teakea66 ... if you would like more descriptions of France, do let me know. :flwrysmile:

Anymore descriptions and you may find a few visitors at your doorstep!
OS gave ok today (2 weeks) for swimming - but frowned at gym pool. He said swimming would be okay but gyms have too high risk of infection. Suggested perhaps waiting for gym through 6 weeks. Its a little cold here for swimming in outdoor pool at home so.
Oh, the sweet smell of lilacs . . . I'm hoping these 40 degree days after 80 degree weekend doesn't kill off the rest of spring blossoms in Pittsburgh! And wisteria, too? :sigh:

Just a quick post before I try to get more than 5 hours sleep in a row lol.

I would like to share 2 small milestones with my fellow hippies:
1 - I managed to get hand down to my heel this evening to take my trousers off. (touching my toes is next lol).
2 - I got up a flight of stairs normally. i.e. 1 foot after the other. :yay: (next step: same method coming down).
Personally I am quite impressed at D+10. :)

P.S. @Me2 ... irises are coming out her now too :flwrysmile:

We have redbuds and dogwoods out now. Beautiful. I love love wisteria!

But, its all about the cheese for me! I seriously love French cheeses. Lucky duck!

Well done @Cantabrigian all these things are major milestones to us hippies!!!! Congrats.

I too felt envious when you spoke of walking in the village and pictured coblestones and cages with coffee, croissants or cheese and wine...ahh and walking home with the must have baguette ...bliss. Hmm perhaps not with a sore hip LOL

I would love to hear more about where you live. I have had very short trips to Reims and Paris. Beautiful parts of the world

Keep up the excellent work!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
akabombshell
Recent bookmarks
Back