THR Laura's THR anterior

Yes, you're right. I got in the car yesterday and just went up and back a few feet, that was fine. And I tried the motion of slamming on the brake, no ill effects from that today. I'm in a complex that has a very quiet street that just goes around, so I'm going to try that first.

So I took a big drive today, to the pharmacy and to say hi to my physical therapist. (Albeit former) about 2 miles round trip. Icing my butt now, it's mostly the mediate that's annoyed. but that's been the finicky one these past two years, so I guess I'm not surprised.

tomorrow I'm going to Shop Rite, similar distance, but there will be more work involved.

Shop Rite today! Very exciting. a bit of maneuvering with cane, cart, moving around in produce, bags and out of the car, but all successful in the end.

Gluteus mediate still very angry though. The feeling is mutual.

A belated Happy One Month Anniversary, Law!
Good to read of your successful Shop Rite run! Those first outings feel so fulfilling. Mine was to Whole Foods and I don't care for grocery shopping...at all. However, it was so wonderful to get out of the house and leisurely shop without the pain rather than quickly grabbing what I needed as I hobbled along inside the store heavily leaning on the grocery cart. Ugh...those were NOT the days! Thank goodness for joint replacement, right?!
I hope you have a peaceful evening and a great weekend!
@Law

Thanks!

Back to Shop Rite yesterday, still needed a nap afterwards. Now my operated side knee seems annoyed, which is new. And I'm annoyed about it, lol. I go to surgeon next week for 6 week follow up, hopefully all is how it should be.

Last edited:
Now my op side knee seems annoyed, which is new
This is common post op as the knee can be manipulated quite aggressively during the dislocation process.
Members bring it up frequently. My knee hurt for quite some time post op. Also, the migrating discomfort and pain
occurs as soft soft tissue and prosthetic are settling in and adjusting to work smoothly together. Still pretty early into the healing process for you and overall you seem to be doing well. Good luck with your six week follow up!
Please let us know how it goes. Enjoy the weekend, Law!

Now here's something i wonder about. Are we allowed to get down on the floor yet? (and then of course get back up)

is there a link to what actually happens as far as healing week by week? Like what is going on in there around the hip?

Hi Law,
I hope you had a nice weekend and you’re doing well.
As far as healing phases, hopefully this answers your question, although it is not a week by week timeline -

Getting down / up from the floor - It seems early for you to try it, at least to me, but possibly it’s not? It is a skill we need for life, per a PT that I saw before my THR. Understandable, given the possibility of a fall. I suggest you talk to your PT for guidance on that. I don’t believe I tried this for many months afterward, had no need to be on the floor, but do get down on the floor now, not too often and the getting up part is not very graceful. Envision that dumb garden ornament of the old lady bent over. Yeah…looks like that. :heehee:
Hope your week is a good one!
@Law

I haven't tried it yet, it's on my list of questions for tomorrow when I see the surgeon.
i don't have a PT because thus far because surgeon had said to just walk and they didn't prescribe any PT. But given my other muscles that are sore, I'm going to ask about that too.
Regarding getting on the floor, I take a few fitness classes where we do get down on our mats. But I guess when I'm cleared for the classes, that will be part of it.
i have a long list for tomorrow!

cute description of yourself!

Here's how I started getting on floor.
Do you have stairs in your house?
We have raised family room with three steps up, 4th is the actual family room floor.
I'd go up first two steps & sit on step that is actually carpeted floor into family room and scootch over & lay on floor to do my back exercises & plant my feet on floor knees bent & lift my butt/hips up. When you are done just scootch back over & sit up (I have railings on both sides) then I'd just stand up & head down the last couple of steps.
Now I don't need to do that, but that was my tactic, you are still early on in recovery so ask your doctor before trying! It's amazing the way we figure out how to do ordinary everyday stuff while we are recovering. Just like my laundry. Put in trash bag & fling down the stairs! Repeat to come back up!

@Law I'd say give your self a bit more time. I vividly remember the first time I got down on the floor after my BTHR. It was about 3 months post op. I was chasing one of my big Maine Coon cats trying to get her in her crate for a trip to the groomers. She saw her sister getting put into her crate and took off running up the stairs. I chased her up and saw her tail disappear into the guest room. Of course she was under the bed! So I closed the door (to prevent her escaping), dropped down onto my stomach, gently hauled her out, stood up holding 20+lbs of squirming cat, and carried her down my winding stairs to her crate. And I had to be careful to not step on her tail - I'm 5'1" and she was about 4' 10-11" nose to tail tip. And did that all without even once thinking of new hips!

Had my 6 week follow up with the surgeon today. He was very casual. Said "no restrictions,". But then when I started asking specific questions he backpedaled a little and said "you might want to wait on that a little bit."

he prescribed PT because I told him I'm still having pain in the gluteus medius op side and also my knee. He wants me to wait on Pilates and tap for at least another 6 weeks, but I think I'm going back to barre after I do some PT. Our barre class is very traditional, based on ballet barre exercises (as opposed to Pure barre, etc.) so I can control what I do.
he also said I can sleep on my stomach,yippee! And said "who said you can"t?" I didn't name names, it was the nurse advocate through my patient portal, lol. Surgeons, gotta love em, lol.

Funny about the backpedaling! I sometimes think that even for the younger women getting joint replacement the surgeons think we sit and coffee klatch and crochet and it surprises them every time someone asks "what about...?" :rotfl:

• Funny
Reactions: Law
when I started asking specific questions he backpedaled a little and said "you might want to wait on that a little bit."
At my 6-week post-THR appointment, I asked my surgeon if I could go back to yoga class. First, he said, "yes." But after thinking for a moment, he said "but don't do this for at least another 6 weeks" and then got down on the floor of the exam room (in his suit & tie) and demonstrated postures I should NOT do. :bow:

Best doctor's appointment I've ever had!

Went to first pt yesterday. I was really nervous that it would dislocate so that made me even more stiff when he was moving my leg around. He did the usual prodding on the psoas, tfl and mediate. those have been the ones that are most annoyed with this new hip. Oh and quad. And stretched the hamstring. then he had me do the exercise with the strap around your ankles and you just push out, but that started bothering my lower back, so we stopped that one.

but he said I look good and don't have that gait anymore, I call it hurdy gurdy, it's really Trendelenburg.

but that started bothering my lower back, so we stopped that one.
Glad to read your physical therapist listens to you when you say "that hurts." Sounds like you found a good one.

Slow and steady!

:flwrysmile:

• Agree
Yeah, he's great, I'd already been going to him for quite a long time. We've started doing a bit more stuff now, the multi-hip machine, star balance (Non-op leg only), captains, and some kind of walking/twisting thing ( more of a spine thing). And he works on the quad.

walking reasonably normally now.

Sounds like you're moving right along, Law!
Thanks for sharing your recovery with us. I hope you have a nice weekend.
Happy Two Month Anniversary! (a day early) :wink:
@Law

• Friendly

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Alabama girl57
Recent bookmarks