TKR Injury vs arthritis

Workman’s Comp claims can be very tricky. The process is different from state to state, so you need to read up on your state’s rules for returning to work and requesting a second opinion from a surgeon. I can’t imagine that you would not be given a second opinion with another surgeon based on the fact that you are unable to see anyone in the current doctor’s office except the PA. My suggestion would be to speak with an attorney who specializes in Workman’s Comp Claims to see exactly what your options may be.

I’m assuming she is not working more than 30 hours per week now. If that’s not the case, that’s a problem since that was the requirement set by the doctor when she went back to work. If the doctor prescribed her to be allowed to ice during the day, that needs to be addressed as well. I doubt that management has the right to forbid her from doing something that was prescribed by the physician.

I also would imagine that it is not permitted for an employer to demand that a worker have no breaks during the day.

There are avenues for complaints within the Workman’s Comp system. You just have to find the appropriate way to file a complaint, if it comes to that.

A specialized attorney should be able to explain all these things to you.

Worker's comp is for an injury at work. If the fracture happened on the job, the surgery and lost wages would all go through worker's comp.
if the injury did not happen at work, you need to be looking into disability. Does she have short term and/or long term disability through her job?

There are days due to buisness demand that she is unable to ice her knee and leg at work . Upper management will complain about labor costs if she schedules extra help so that she can take time to ice without being interupted . She feels stuck without no support . Yes she is only working 30 hours and she feels that is to much and doesn't feel she could work 40 +
She does have attorney but he doesn't seem to have any answers other than he will address the issues with the workers comp attorney but nothing changes . She and I can see that her operated leg is like 3 times the size of non injured leg

This is the physical job duties required of her
IMG_5344.png

her operated leg is like 3 times the size of non injured leg
That is concerning in someone who is 6 months post-op. She really needs to be seen.

So her surgeon is out until august 2024. On medical leave
She will be seeing the PA April 4 who is the one who sent her back to work in the first place after he was told that her job required her to be on her feet up to 13 hours a day . She isn't thrilled about seeing the PA cause she feels he doesn't listen .
It's going to be important for you to advocate for her. Don't let this PA brush her off again.

Are there any other surgeons in the practice who can review her case? If so, I'd insist upon a consult with someone more qualified than the PA to assess her.

Yes there are surgeons who are within the practice . She was told that she needed to see the PA regardless even if she wanted to see another surgeon since it would be considered a second opinion and she would need a referral from the PA

Go with her to the appointment and into the exam room. My husband and I do this for each other any time there's a chance something important needs to be said or explained.

Workers Comp and their contracting providers are notoriously pro-business and this may be a prolonged struggle. She needs every bit of advocacy she can get.

she would need a referral from the PA
Insist on getting that referral for a second opinion. If they don’t want to give it, start complaining, to the hospital, to your GP, to almost anyone who will listen. She needs help and shes not getting it.

I’ll second the idea that it’s time to start pushing back. You have the right for a referral for a second opinion. If the PA won’t grant that for you (if that’s what‘s required), have your attorney write a letter demanding that. If that doesn’t get the job done or the attorney gives you push-back, find another attorney.

Would your wife consider changing jobs? This does not sound like a good place to work.

She is there for the salary and paid health insurance . She is 53 and has always worked occupations that required her to be on her feet . Attorney says not quit until workerscomp has been resolved

I had a grade 6 tibia plateau fracture and surgery in October 2023. No knee replacement but lots of healing require. My recovery is very much ongoing with regular icing still a part of my day. This is essential to my progress as is resting my leg when needed.

Even now I would not be able to stand and be on my feet all day and I have to remind myself that I am still recovering. I am so sorry your wife is being pushed and is in pain. I don't think there should be so much swelling at this point so please push for answers.

Yea she had the hardware placed and still had mobility issues and could barely walk . She had post tramictic arthritis which was reason for TKR .

She feels she could benefit from more PT and her PT therapist even requested more but the PA and surgeon didn't approve it or workers comp refused it . 30 hours on tile floors wouldn't normally bother her but since the accident that cause these events she has to push thru the pain and her job won't allow her to schedule xtra help so she can take breaks to ice and elevate her knee at work

Yea she had the hardware placed and still had mobility issues and could barely walk . She had post tramictic arthritis which was reason for TKR .
This sounds really tough. I am not surprised your wife is struggling as there has been so much trauma for her leg. I really hope you find some answers soon.

she has done tons of physical therapy and still even has to take breaks at home in just cooking supper .
She needs to stop all physical therapy. She is already doing way too much at work. Adding PT only will add to the slowing of her knee's healing and inflammation increasing. This adds more pain and swelling it's a domino effect. When she gets home all she should be doing it taking care of her own physical needs, no cooking, cleaning, washing clothes or dishes, or other things like that. Her home time should be spent resting, icing, and elevating that poor knee.
She feels she could benefit from more PT and her PT therapist even requested more but the PA and surgeon didn't approve it or workers comp refused it
No way. This would just add to her pain and swelling. I am glad it wasn't approved.

Please know that we all care about what is going on and will pray that your poor wife will find a resolution.

She hasn't done any physical therapy since February . She only has been doing some home exercises to help with the stiffness . . Her main issues are at work since her occupation requires 99.8 % standing and walking on concrete flooring that has tile on it . She has to deal with ice on floor among other issues . Thankfully she hasn't fallen . She can barely get up 3 steps to come into the house

Here is her foot swollen 7 months after left total knee replacement

Attachments

• IMG_20240331_091436304.jpeg
    IMG_20240331_091436304.jpeg
    35.6 KB · Views: 10
Here is her foot swollen 7 months after left total knee replacement
So she sent this into the PA on Sunday thru my chart and got told that the PA doesn't have anything to do with ankle or feet . Seems that these knuckleheads don't realize that TKR affects ankle and feet .. the PA staff seem as if they don't know or don't care

Attachments

• IMG_20240331_091436304.jpeg
    IMG_20240331_091436304.jpeg
    35.6 KB · Views: 7
She really needs to see someone in another practice, one not at all associated with the current one. Go to an ER in a hospital some distance away. Her health is at stake and if you continue to not get treatment it may become untreatable.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Unique Mike
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom