THR In recovery! (Long post)

JoeyRamone

Country
United States United States
I made it to the other side! Surgery was scheduled for 230pm on Thursday, April 25 and everything was right on time at the outpatient surgical center. As someone who had this as their first surgery other than wisdom teeth over 30 years ago, I am going to go into excessive detail here.

Day 0: They took me back into a private room, gave me my gown and mesh underwear, and told me I could leave my sports bra on which left me unreasonably excited. They set the line for the IV, put on all of the monitors for heart rate, etc. one of the stickies didn’t work so my heart rate kept skipping down to zero which was entertaining. blood pressure was initially high, but I guess not unexpected. I was pretty nervous until my surgeon (Dr. Sean Gallagher at ATXOrtho) came in. He’s very, very calming and reassuring. My husband had some questions about the postop medication and he answered those, then asked me several times what questions I had. I shared my anxiety and asked if I would be given something to me calm down. He assured me they would give me something to calm me before the nerve block around my hip. He walked through everything that was going to happen over the next two hours, including those two shots for the preop nerve block, the epidural, the postop local numbing agent. His approach is direct superior, or Superpath. He told me the names of the two drugs he would be using, but all I heard was something about “bejeweled,” which I know is not right. I asked him specifically about Exparel because I read about it here. He knew what I meant but said no it’s not that it’s a combination of xxx and yyy.

The anesthesiologist came in next and asked the same series of questions everyone had been asking, which leg, etc. He was much more business-like and impersonal than the surgeon so it was a little bit anxiety inducing. He also made many fewer promises about how long the epidural and local would last after the fact. The surgeon said that the equivalent would last about 18 hours, the anesthesiologist said maybe three. Then they kicked my husband out came back with something to calm me down. There was not any impact of whatever it was, but then they realized the IV line had not been opened yet and as soon as they opened it, I said, “oh ****” and we were off. They had an ultrasound to guide the preop shots around my hip. I started getting chatty and apologetic for being chatty but they laughed it off. Then the OR nurse came back in. I haven’t mentioned the preop nurse, but he was fantastic also. They all knew that this was my first surgery, and were excellent about explaining everything.

The OR nurse took me back to the room. They had me roll over to the hard operating table. They explained I was going to sit up and bend over a pillow while they did the epidural. Although I was on the anti-anxiety meds, I was still kind of freaked out. The nurse held me the whole time. The anesthesiologist was excellent and explained exactly what was gonna happen and how it should feel. He was much more calming in the OR than I would’ve expected based on the preop visit. It wasn’t painful at all. They laid me on my side situated me on my side with bolsters in a way that was as comfortable as it could be while I was still awake, then put the mask on and I remember nothing else.

I woke up in recovery a little over two hours later moaning because the incision site was burning pretty bad. The surgery took a little bit longer than hour and a half he had projected. According to my family this is because he “wanted to make sure he got my leg length right.” I remember moaning quite a bit because the incision site was pretty painful. I found out later that I was given a couple of the 5 mg oxycodone, and when that didn’t help, a little bit of Dilaudid (.5mg). Then the shakes hit, I have never felt anything like that before, worse than even when I have been sickest with bad chills. My best friend is a nurse and was asking for updates so when my husband told her about that uncontrollable shaking, she suggested he ask about Demerol. He asked the postop nurse and she gave me some. When I talked to the postop nurse in the follow-up call yesterday, she said it she’s given it much more frequently at other places she’s worked but the surgical center doesn’t use it much. my postop blood pressure was initially pretty low, something like 90/55. I changed into my postop clothes (an easy to put on dress as suggested here.) They set me up to try and walk and even sitting up was too much, I felt like I was going to pass out and maybe throw up. So I got some Sprite and crackers. We waited another 20 minutes, BP made it to 118/70. The one other person in postop had finished surgery about an hour before me and my sense was that they were waiting on me to get out so they could go home. The next time we tried, I was able to sit up and walk about 10 steps before the dizziness hit again. They put me in a wheelchair and got me to the bathroom where I was able to go. Then it was back in the wheelchair and out to the parking garage.

I was able to get in the front seat of the SUV with no problem, forgot the trash bag, but that was OK. We had brought ice packs in a cooler and a protein shake thanks to the suggestions here. we also brought blankets and pillows in case it would be easier for me to lay in the back, but I was fine up front. I I had my pillow and comforter and the 2 hour drive was fine as long as I was fully reclined and had a pillowcase over my face so streetlight didn’t make me feel sick. We were home by 9. I was able to get out of the car, use the walker up to the front door, and then I got wheeled back to the bedroom and an office chair that has served an amazing wheelchair.

Day 1 (Friday): I dozed for most of the night, but didn’t get a very deep sleep, kind of like after a long and exciting/exhausting race. The routine was limited to walking with the walker to the bathroom about every two hours and taking medication (tramadol 50mg, acetaminophen 500mg) every 6 hours; 100mg celebrex, baby aspirin, and 4mg dexamethasone every 12; and 1300mg tranexamic acid with 125 mcg vitamin d3 daily. By the end of the day yesterday I was able to walk to and from the bathroom, before that, I needed to be wheeled back to the bed because I was getting lightheaded.

Day 2, ~ 42 hours post-surgery (Saturday): Pain is ok, not too much different than what I felt after a 100k or 100 mile. (And just to be clear I was not in racing shape going into this procedure! I have not been able to run in a year. On good days I was able to walk a couple of miles and be sore for a couple of days after. The pain/soreness after long runs is just the closest comparison I can think of. )

The worst pain so far was the incision in recovery, that was about an 8, I’ve been at 5 or below since and mostly below, sometimes with no pain. I’ve been very regular with icing and keeping legs elevated except the hand me down ice machine broke last night. Have been able to tolerate real food since yesterday afternoon and that has helped. I’m still aiming for 3 protein shakes a day.

The one really unexpected and unsettling thing that’s happened was uncontrollable shaking last night, about 25 hours since getting home. My quad, hamstring, and especially hip flexor have been very sore and the shaking makes the hip flexor much worse. It happened again this morning too. My husband called the doctor to ask if a muscle relaxer would help so we are trying that. Otherwise things have been going pretty well. I feel like I’m definitely in the middle of the range I see described here. Getting up today, washing my face, putting in contacts finally, and going to the bathroom wiped me out so I don’t think I’m going to be walking around the block this week, but I’m aiming for a shower this afternoon. Sorry for the very lengthy post, I hope it helps other first-timers!

Welcome to recovery! I applaud you for your ability to type such an informative update, I don't believe I had it in me that early on. I recognized and can relate to many of the details of your experience leading up to the OR. I'll bet you're relieved to have that part behind you. Now it's onto the healing and getting back to all that you love.

I will leave our Recovery Guidelines with best wishes for your comfort as you begin the journey. :)

HIP RECOVERY GUIDELINES
As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

If you want to use something to assist with healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs
The recovery articles
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Nutrition is of paramount importance. Available here are dietary tips, nutrition basics and additional food supplements. These articles are both general advice on food and specific guidelines aimed at people both pre- and post-surgery.

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

@JoeyRamone
Sounds like your shakes post op and then a little later we're exactly like mine! I too had a SuperPath about 2.5 weeks ago and I'm reliving those first few days with you now. That first night back at home and throughout the next 24 hours, I'd get the shakes and even feel my heart racing. It was the aftereffects of the anesthesia for me. The first week was the roughest-- I cried and felt like I'd never get better again. By the end of week 1 I switched to a cane because the walker was doing a number on my rotator cuff. It gets better!!! I had very strong legs to begin with and it sounds like you do too. That will be your saving grace. Rest when you need to, take little walks as often as you can and know that week 2 will start to make you feel better. BTW, I did buy the Lounge Doctor online and I use it every night faithfully-- all night. It has been a Godsend for swelling in that leg! As the swelling creeps up throughout week 1, by morning it's down considerably and it helps me eliminate excess fluids from surgery and daily edema in that leg. At 2.5 weeks, I have a very little bit of residual swelling and that helps tremendously with getting my walking and PT in. Best of luck to you!

Then the shakes hit, I have never felt anything like that before, worse than even when I have been sickest with bad chills.
I too had shakes in recovery. In my case they subsided in a few hours without any meds beyond the Percocet they gave me in recovery. Those first few hours with the shakes were the most uncomfortable part of my ongoing recovery.

Resized_20240410_131824.jpeg

not sure I added the photo correctly, but thus was me with the shakes post op. I don't think they gave me anything for it, just every heated blanket they had available-- even some kind of Kevlar hat under all the blankets. I was shivering so hard I thought I'd break my teeth!

Resized_20240410_131824.jpeg

not sure I added the photo correctly, but thus was me with the shakes post op. I don't think they gave me anything for it, just every heated blanket they had available-- even some kind of Kevlar hat under all the blankets. I was shivering so hard I thought I'd break my teeth!
Wow! Yes! This was me! They had some heater tube going under all of the blankets and they stuck something between my teeth too. It was wild.
I saw your comment about the lounge doctor too. I looked at that but am fortunate that we have an adjustable bed, so I’ve just been elevating my legs every night and sleeping/dozing like that. The only restriction is not bending outside my right knee, easy to remember because when I even twisted slightly it was painful. I also get pain when my right knee falls in, I have to keep it straight. I’ve been surprised at how accurate the doctors comment about your body will let you know what you can do has been.

I’ve just been elevating my legs every night and sleeping/dozing like that
It's important to elevate during the day as well at this early stage of recovery. Elevating -- with icing -- serves several purposes: it reduces inflammation and helps with pain.

You can use a pillow stack to achieve proper elevation. Please take a look at this article for more information:
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Be sure to pay attention to nutrition in recovery. Our drop in blood pressure and body temps can be linked to blood loss during the procedure. Our bodies take a lot of trauma and need the correct fuels to rebuild.

@benne68, yes, sorry that wasn’t clearer, my legs are elevated when I’m not up. I’m either in the bed with them up when I’m not on my side or on the couch that is also zero gravity. I’m icing most of the time too so that helps.
biggest problems on day 3 have been a lot of nausea and not able to go to the bathroom. very frustrating. Pain has been tolerable and I‘m able to use the walker on short trips around the house but am absolutely not interested in food. I quit the tramadol this morning, started colace yesterday and miralax today. Hopefully that will help, but today feels like a setback.

Congrats & welcome to the forum & other side of surgery.
Just take it easy, each day you will continue to improve.. You might also have a couple of setbacks & think you are going backwards but that's just part of the recovery.
Keep posting & let us know how it's going.

biggest problems on day 3 have been a lot of nausea
I was prescribed Ondansetron 4mg for nausea as part of my preop med package. I didn't need them but many do as this was part of the standard med grouping.

Thank you! I happened to have the onadestron already for migraines and it was helpful but I’ve never had to take so much before for an effect. Much, much better today after over 24 hours with no narcotics in terms of nausea and bathroom issues! Only minimal additional soreness with fewer drugs. I find I’m not pushing as much to walk and am finally sleeping, and very very hungry!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Hessian
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom