How long have you had your new hip(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mzshai21

Hello Bonesmart hippies!

First I would like to pass on my warm wishes to all those that are in recovery from their surgeries! As a newbie myself I hope for all the best in the future with our new "equipment!" :happydance:

But out of pure curiosity and feel free to not answer or give input but how long have you had your hip replacement(s) for before you had to do a revision?

Thanks once again!

Well, I am not the person to ask... Josephine or one of the other experts, and "survivors" would help you out here.

My surgery was 5/29/12; I'm doing great. Not even thinking about revisions at this point.

Welcome!

Mzshai21

In my case, 12 nearly 13 years for my first (left) hip. My second (right hip) is about 8 years old right now, and no indication of a revision requirement.

I fell last November and dislocated my left implant. (2 partial and 2 total dislocations between my fall and revision surgery--over about 22 weeks). Up until the fall I was having no problem with the hip, and had religiously seen my OS every year for a check-up. As a matter of fact I had just seen him 6 weeks prior to the fall and gotten an "a-ok" for both hips. My point being I have linked the fall and subsequent dislocations to my need for a revision. After having been told by the revising surgeon that the angle of the first implant was borderline, and learning I had bone loss at the cup, I am wondering if the problem wasn't already there.

But no matter my experience. From what I have read and been told by my revision surgeon, 25 years or longer is not too much to expect from the new hips.

Hope you are doing well
Suki

Suki- thanks for the honest answer! I guess I'm just trying to see the average length of time that most people have their new hips before they have to do a revision! I'm so ready to go back to my life but I worry about my hip giving away sooner rather then later and starting this recovery process all over again.

Hi! mzshai, I've only had my hip since December 17, 2010. And to be honest with you, I expect to have this same hip the day I leave this earth. True, I was 68 when I had my THR, but I come of long lived people--so I expect to make into my 90's with this hip. I have absolutely no sense that this man-made hip is not original equipment. And truthfully, I rarely thing about the hip except when I'm on the forum.

My knees are taking a little longer to become one with me particularly the left. It is shorter than my right leg and is stressed when I don't wear shoes with the sole lifted or go barefooted for too long a period of time. Now they feel just like the real deal to me--I have no sense that they are not original equipment but still experience some aches and minor pains with them which will eventually go. Then I can forget about them too.

Hi mzshai

Hqd my right hip done last year in February and just got a shiny new left one on Mondaay had a fall after six months with my right but everything turned out all right.

Billy

You are getting some excellent responses... which is encouraging.... the surgery has become "technically sound"... so, I would encourage you to not focus on how long it will last - enough you are a Marathon Runner or really "over using" your hip/joints.

Take care of YOU! (relax)

Please don't worry about revisions. In years past they always said replaced hips would need revision. Now they are talking hips for life. I had my LTHR over two years ago and I expect to take it to the grave. Enjoy your new hip!

Adaflorida-I pray that technology improves more and more so that revisions will no longer be necessary!

Jaycey-thanks for the advice, I will enjoy my new hip!

Ah... Josephine is back. So good to see her posting, and receive her advice; I many times forget about the Library as I get absorbed in the stories of all of us.

Take care!

Thank you all! I guess i need that constant reassurance. All advice is great. :) :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Duffyboy
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back