Hip class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angie

Hi everyone been to the hip class and must say really enjoyed it may have helped that someone listened finally I'm down to 1 crutch and off restrictions just need to be careful the pt couldn't understand why I hadn't been cleared with the restrictions really pleased with myself for the exercises I did but the pt seems really surprised at how stiff and tight I am even doing the exercises never mind hydro next week onwards and upwards hopefully from now on

Hi Angie, that's great that the hip class was good for you....I wasn't even aware that hip classes existed. You must be feeling much better now you are on one crutch, it's good when you have a free hand again.

I couldn't understand why your restrictions hadn't been lfted either, was it not mentioned at your six week check?

If you are doing more walking and your exercises you should be starting to loosen uo a bit. It's great when all of a sudden you realise you can move your leg this way or that , it kinds of creeps up on us as we recover.

Take care and hope you enjoy your hydro........you are lucky you have been offered so much help, it seems that is not the usual procedure in the UK forhip patients.

Ann.x.

Congrats Angie! It must feel so great to test out the new hip and stretch a bit. I don't think we have hip classes here in NYC, but I am actively in PT and gently in the gym (eliptical only, light upper body machines), but looking for some gentle yoga with instructors familiar with THR.

Good luck and I wish you good steady progress with your new hip!:thumb:

Tracy

Hi anniepops and Tracy it does feel great and strange to be able to stretch and move my hip after so many years on my check up I was told nothing except to go full weight bearing the hip precautions were never mentioned and I've asked in the 5 pt sessions I've had and been told I wasn't ready I felt I was stuck with no way forward Ann did you have hydro the pt said I'm very wary and lost confidence but I think you spend years of your life worrying about doing something to hurt/flare up your arthritis you are wary and it doesn't disappear overnight Tracy I hope you find a yoga class to help you I've heard yogas really good not too sure about hip exercises with it mind I think it's finding the right people who care enough and want to help people like us who have had hip ops good luck keep in touch

Hi Angie, so pleased you are progressing to hydro. I love hydro (when I can get there).

Will you be doing it with a PT or by yourself?

Enjoy!

Hi sandy it's being done with pt they have a hydro pool at the physio dept I went to hydro about 3 years ago for ack and foot arthritis problems I'm hoping the pain the next day won't be as bad as what I'm getting now after 1/2 hour in hip class it's surprising how weak you feel not sure if it's normal to be as weak do you do your hydro with a pt must admit I'm a bit wary as I have a massive phobia against slipping(slipped a few year ago and sprained my bad hip pain lasted for 3mth and was excruciating )

Hi Angie, I am pleased you are doing the hydro with a PT. do make your PT aware of your concerns from before regarding slipping.

I did mine with hubby, but was extremely careful. I also got a pair of very light water type shoes with a non slip bottom. I found these gave me such confidence about not slipping. I do a lot of scuba diving and snorkeling and had got the shoes for walking across rocks.. I got them from the dive shop however my pool also sold them.. Great boost to my confidence. I also used my stick getting to the pools edge, then hubby's strength to get it.

Of course once in, there is this wonderful sense of weightlessness, but because of that I was cautious not to overdo it, because as you know it is easy to do more in the water than on the land.

There is a very good book, I purchased on Kindle which focuses on pool exercises, by Robert Klapper MD and Linda Huey.. Can't quite remember the title, but if you search Amaxon ebooks you should find it... It gave me so many hints and tips.

I will be keen to hear how you go - good luck and enjoy!

Hi sandy il have a look to see if I can find that book and them water shoes will definitely be helpful I made them aware of being frightened of slipping this will be the 3rd different pt in 6 weeks il have had hopefully they' will read my notes before hand I really hope it helps with my confidence sandy because it's rock bottom at the minute

Hi Sandy, thanks for the suggestion on the water shoes. I was also hesitant to go to the pool for fear of slipping. I am still limping a little, so not sure about taking the cane.

Angie, I understand how you feel. I think because I had a replacement and revision days apart that my PT/OS have been protecting me which feels uncomfortable. Today, I asked for a copy of my file including the surgical notes so I can educate myself and resolve all my unanswered questions.

I think any PT (body Angel) worth their salt would be open to you sharing your concerns about recovery. They're there for healing and if you let this new one know, you might be surprised how they cheerlead for you. If not :tongue:, we'll all be here to support you!

Keep up the faith!
Tracy

Hi Angie, I wasn't given any advice nor offered PT or hydro, just sent home from hospital with my crutches, pain relief and a cheerio!! I had to request PT at my 8 week check up and am still waiting for an appt nearly 6 weeks later:sigh:

I think it's great that you have been given PT and Hydro especially as you seem to need it due to your lack of confidence in moving about. I relied on my Bonesmart buddies to help me along and would be a lot further back without their support and advice.

Hope the Hydro goes well, once you feel more steady on your new hip the confidence will come.

Take care

Ann.x.

Hi Angie, so glad you are improving. I am in Barnard Castle and no doubt had the same surgeon as yourself although i was sent to Bishop Auckand. However I didn't know 2Hip Classes" exist! They sound very therapeutic.

Hi jond I had my op in hartlepool as that's where my os is I think the hip classes are normally for pre op not sure mind but I really enjoyed it I think it's because I was given different exercises and done them with someone their to guide me that's what I need just a bit of reassurance I've heard bishop are good mind that's where I go for the pain clinic

Hi Ann I've had to do separate replies for some reason my iPad wiped my big one I'm amazed and to be honest disgusted you never hot offered anything do you think your os has some sort of say in your after care I think mine did after 6 weeks of waiting il keep my fingers crossed that your pt appointment will drop on your doorstep this week I hope you get what you deserve (pt) because it seems really unfair

Hi tracyw I lost my confidence after slipping and spraining my hip that fears never gone away I think sometimes pt/doctors etc don't always understand your fear I might ask for a copy of mine I've tried to have a mosey of my pt sheets but they don't leave them long enough I just hope I make it as I'm in a lot off pain it's strange my hubby now says what does your pals say if theirs anything I'm unsure about so one thing we all know if all else fails we all have each other

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
horselvr
Recent bookmarks
Back