Hip #2 coming out on May 18th

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcsgirl102

Country
United States United States
Hi, everyone!

I had my right hip replaced on 12 Nov 2015. My left hip is being replaced on 18 May 2016 -- almost exactly 18 months later. I had a very tough time with my first hip replacement -- surgery took a couple of hours longer than usual because of how arthritic the hip was, I had terrible post-op pain, developed an infection at the very top of the incision that may have contributed to an infection found at the bottom of the incision about 10 weeks post-op, was very slow in getting my strength back ... it was rough.

Happily, by 12 months, I was doing great and pain free. While that glorious feeling only lasted 2 months, it was enough to remind me of how wonderful it is to be fully healthy and normal again.

So I didn't hesitate this time to set up the surgery to get this one replaced. This time, I have a different (and I believe better) surgeon, different (better) hospital, and I've been working with a personal trainer to improve my strength, tone, and balance. Until I started working with her, I had no idea I was still so deconditioned from the first surgery. But I'm a lot stronger now, and still have 3 more weeks of work-outs before I go under the knife. I think I've got a good handle things.

Also, last time I didn't find out about BoneSmart until a week or two post-op. Such a shame, because I think things would have gone better for me had I had all this wonderful information before surgery. BUT I HAVE IT THIS TIME!!!! YAY!!! And I now know what to do, what to expect, and most importantly, what NOT TO DO!! (I'm a nurse of many decades and was a stubborn, unrealistic patient first time around. But not this time, I can promise you that! I paid a heavy price for that stubbornness!)

I am just so grateful for this group and, as strange as it sounds, very glad to be back! Thanks to all of you who offer encouragement, advice, and education to all the members here. I feel so much more confident this time around--I know I'll have you guys to lean on once I'm on the other side of the operation.

:) Hugs to you all!

:hi: Lovely to meet you. I'm so sorry to hear you had such a rough experience with hip#1. But having the benefit of a good result I can understand you embracing the opportunity to get balanced up and free of any remaining pain. I couldn't agree more about Bonesmart. Since arriving here as a nervous wreck I'm now a total convert purely as a result of the wonderful support, advice and camaraderie. Had I simply left the consultation armed with the news that I needed not one but two replacements I think I would have faced surgery in a blind panic. As it is I had time to raise a raft of questions which were all helpfully answered so I was mentally prepared and in a much much better place. Best wishes with your next Op and keep posting. :flwrysmile:

Welcome back @marcsgirl102 ! I had the same experience of a rough recovery from my first THR due to waiting far too long. But I can confirm taking a more proactive approach when the right one started to complain made all the difference in the world in terms of recovery.

I look forward to following your recovery journey.

Oh bless you! But you can only go with what you know at the time, can't you?

I will just say this: my experience and knowledge has increased since I've been working on here and one thing I've found out about THRs is that hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Hope you have a better experience this time around.

@marcsgirl102 - Welcome! I'm a new member and scheduled for a RTH on May 16 - just ahead of you. I look forward to going through this journey with you.

Nice to meet you, @marcsgirl102 . You'll have a bunch of us following (and learning from) your journey. Glad you let us know. ~ Just one tiny thing: you said your first hip was replaced in November '15, and now "18 months" later.... I think you meant to say your first one was maybe November '14?

Hello!
I'm having my second hip replaced the day before you. I'm sorry you had such a rough time the first time around. People keep telling me that the second one is easier!

My hip two is May 26, here's hoping we both sail through!

RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.

You are ABSOLUTELY right, @Nana2-8--it was November 2014! Sorry about that. :) Where in Wisconsin do you live? I went to HS in Beaver Dam and used to own a lovely little cottage on the Rock River in Watertown. :)
@Wildwood14 Do let all of us know how you do!
@Zelda I have every reason to believe it will be easier, if for no other reason than we know what helps and what makes things worse. You and I can "hold hands" as we go in!
@Josephine You are so right. I learned the hard way that Physical Therapy after surgery was a bad idea--it actually made me worse. I'm doing PT ahead of time to improve my balance and overall strength, so that I have all the resources I need already on board.

I have my pre-op meeting with the surgeon's team this Thursday, along with all the blood work, etc. This day cannot come soon enough. I am so tired of having to take Celebrex and codeine in order to work or sleep! T-17 and counting!

@Jaycey and @jomarie58 Thanks for the warm welcome back!
The first hip was a wreck when it was removed, and surgery took about 6 hours, so it was a very tough recovery. I would have had it done sooner had I realized that the pain I was feeling was arthritis and not a muscle pull or tear (I had had a fall on the Appalachian Trail that had left me pretty banged up, and that masked the hip problems.) This time, I started to feel that groin pain, and I was like, "I'm getting this thing out!" Still, with the doctor's schedule, waiting for my surgery date has given my hip the chance to get worse. So I don't know how bad it'll be once he gets in there.

One thing I know--it can't be worse than Hip #1, so I'm prepared for whatever comes.

@marcsgirl102 ~ Glad we got the dates straight! I'm just north of Milwaukee, along the lake.....when I'm there. Right now, I am in SC until June. ~ ~ Sooooo.....what you're telling me is.....having arthritis doesn't get better; just worse, as time goes on. Ya, I'm finally coming to that conclusion, too! I too thought it was a muscle pull or tear, so I thought babying it would make it go away. All that did was 'weaken' it. As much as I would like to build up some strength prior to whenever the surgery will be, I also don't want to make things worse along the way. In the meantime, my posture is that of an 'old lady' and my whole daily routine of normal things has altered....grocery shopping, cleaning around the house, no golf....YUK. ~ ~ Well, just a bit over two weeks to go for you!!! Bet you can't wait! We'll be here.....all along the way!

Sending you lots of prayers and well wishes for your surgery today and for a MUCH easier recovery than your first THR! :)

@marcsgirl102 - what great news and how wonderful that you've had such a good experience this time.
Will look out for your recovery thread with enthusiasm!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Elf1
    Staff member since October 2019
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads