• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Hi! I'm a newbie.

Gillyflower

Hi! I am scheduled for a LTKR on Sept 13. I am 39 years old but I will turn 40 the week before my surgery.

I had torn the meniscus quite a few years ago. I was in the process of relocating to out of state, so the doctor didn’t want to start anything at that point. I got a script for pain relievers and told to pick up the process once I got settled.

With relocating, getting settled and starting a new job, it was several years later that I had surgery. The surgeon trimmed the torn meniscus, removed bone spurs and drilled holes in my knee cap. It helped for a short time. I remember the PA and then the doctor saying that I was too young for a knee replacement. I really didn’t understand what they meant. I lived with the pain and the crunchy noises every day. But I guess I was so used to being in pain, I didn’t realize how bad it was. After seeing the latest x-ray, I totally get where the crunchy noises are coming from!

This year, I finally decided on knee replacement surgery. Everyday I ask myself if the right time is now. In all likelihood, I will be repeating the surgery at some point. I can handle that. My surgeon uses a spinal block. I have had many surgeries, doesn’t bother me at all and I don’t have problems with anesthesia. The whole spinal block thing bothers me a lot. I have read many posts here that have helped alleviate my fears (some). I just have to get through it.

My Joint Class was on Tuesday. It really solidified my decision to have surgery. The major thing that I took from Joint Class was the need for physical strength. For me, that is right now.

What is really causing me to majorly spazz out is the recovery process. I get that the recovery process is hugely important but it is such an individual process. I am a planner (Virgo trait). But, I can’t really plan for this.

I know you all have been through it or are in the process of getting surgery. I would certainly appreciate any insight you have to offer.

Gilly

Welcome Gilly, I am where you were, told im too young, and I am a couple years older than you.
I am so glad you are going thru with this.
I have had lateral releases done during scopes on both knees, to help from disloctaing.
I am curious , what did the drilling do for you??
Anyway again welcome

I was 39 when I was finally allowed to have mine. And the OS never said I was too young. He said he didn't like to do surgeries on someone so young, "...but sometimes we have to..."

And with the advances we're having in all this business, the odds of having to repeat the surgery are going down. We may be just fine forever. :wink1:

Anyway, welcome to the board! This is a great place for info and support.

I believe that drilling the holes behind the knee cap is supposed to somehow allow your body to create new cartilage.

From the x-ray, it didn't work.

Thanks for the welcome, Sheryl7!

Advanced planning for something this complex is difficult. Take it one day at a time and take all the help you can get. You will get through it - we all did! Good luck and keep in touch.

Hi and welcome Gilly

Everyday I ask myself if the right time is now.

Your knee will not get any better on its own. I am having my own battles with the VA and my view is I want to be able to enjoy life now. I am tired of not being able to get out and do things with the grandkids. I have been told I am too young and I have a couple of years or so on you. Age should never be a factor for this surgery. Quality of life should be the deciding factor. You should not have to live in pain. Good luck and keep us posted. Come back often we are here for you

Thanks Gilly, for the information on the drilling. I do hope they do not suggest that to me.:hate-shocked:

Drilling is not very successful for osteoarthritis. It is good for osteochondritis in adolescents though. It gets fresh blood to the area and helps the damaged cartilage to regenerate. It works in adolescents who are still growing. It doesn't work in adults who have stopped growing!

As for the recovery, Gilly, I strongly suggest you spend some time reading in the recovery forum but you need to pick your threads. There are some that seem like nightmares as they are full of problems but many others that aren't. You could look at these as they will give you a pretty good picture of what recovery is like - starting with mine! :snork:
My post-op blog!
Recycled Has a Second New Knee
The Life of a Slug
Eight weeks out from TRK and doing ok?

Sheryl7, the doctor didn't mention that part. It was the phyisical therapist that mentioned it when he was reading the doctor's report after surgery. It kind of weirded me out!

Thanks for the information Josephine! That explains why it didn't appear to work.

I am reading so much trying to get a much information as I can. I have to admit that I have read a couple of recovery posts that I probably shouldn't have. I do know everyone's surgery and recovery is different. So, I will continue to read.

Gilly, i got a little discouraged when I read a few too:skeptical:. I wanted to see how it went after suregry. But there good stories too, so I felt better.:yay:

Hi Gilly
Just a note about recovery threads that are a little discouraging. Please understand that people come to forums to get help with their situations. Once they have had had a successful outcome some of them disappear from the forums and move on with their lives. Therefore it might seem there are more problems in recovery that success.

I know this is true because I have been guilty of that. I had suffered from GERD and found a forum where I was able to receive much needed support. When I had my surgery and made it through the recovery period I too disappeared frm the forum. I felt so good having my life back I went out and enjoyed life. I as others before me had eventually stopped posting when we were feeling better. I have gone back to my former forum and have posted my success story.

The successful surgeries far outnumber the unsuccessful ones. If this were not true there would not be the large number of these surgeries preformed. Post any and all concerns that your have and someone will come along to help and offer support. I hope to one day have my knee fixed and be able to come back to pay forward to others the help that I received from the wonderful folks on this forum

I would have to say that the vast majority of folks who have a TKR have a relatively uneventful recovery. Many of the people posting here post only for a short time and then move on, as their recoveries are complete.

My BTKR was not really more challenging than most, but it was challenging. Some, like myself,do, however, choose to stay longer.

Please do not look at this type of surgery as something similar to a death march. It simply isn't. Even with the few minor glitches that one may have, the finished product, so to speak, is amazing.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Rkelley
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom