Gathering Myself Together for BTKR November 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be fine when I get home - I live in baggy linen pants. However, I want to be around when they are washed :heehee:, hubby is great with towels, sheets, etc. but anything else ....... My linen pants and tops are dyed with natural dyes and it doesn't take much to create a design in them you don't want. All it takes is squeezing a lemon too close to you, don't ask how I found out.

I'm looking for comfort and easy care for the rehab facility. I won't be one of the folks getting gussied up! Matching shoes??? Give me a break!

I gather from your feedback @dovemck and others that shorts will be a good thing, so I'll add them to my list.

Pajama pants - nice soft & loose. I have a pair of men's pajama pants and not sure why but they always seem so much softer than the women's that I find? Anyway, if they have a drawstring they should work for you as long as they aren't too long. Baggy shorts are the other pants that I lived in the first few weeks. I didn't wear my regular athletic shoes at first since I couldn't lean over or bend the right way to get them on & tie them. The slip on sneaks that I bought worked in a pinch, but I mostly wore skid-socks in the hospital and at home.

I remember day three in the hospital which was first day of group PT (missed day 2 since I passed out in the hall on the way there and had to have a transfusion). I feel as though I've gone a few rounds with Mike Tyson and don't look much better. I drag myself into the PT room in baggy everything with hair scrunched into a ponytail, expecting everyone else to be about the same. The first woman already there is in a nice shorts outfit with athletic shoes and has full makeup, freshly styled hair, jewelry and accessories! What? We had surgery within hours of each other?? Of course, she asks me how I'm feeling as I'm now known as "the one who passed out". Great.

Good luck - you're on your way to feeling SO much better!

@Florida 1 - that's hilarious! Not the day 2 part but day 3. I might go as far as to fluff up my new perm (being given to me reluctantly by my hairdresser) and wash my face - but that would be dressing up. Thanks for the tip about the shoes!

Make sure that you have excellent slippers with strong traction---but easy on/easy off.

I'm going to hate that - I'm a barefoot person. I know, I live in Canada but it only rains where we live :egypdance:
However, I'll bend to your wisdom and experience. Guess they wouldn't be happy with me wandering around rehab in bare feet - maybe bear feet would work.

maybe bear feet would work.
Here you go---just for you:

Thanks @referee54 - you made me laugh out loud! I'd better not show this to my eldest son or he would take up the challenge of finding me a pair! I could dress to the nines, jewellery, make-up and all and go to PT in my bear feet :loll:

I though they were Hobbit feet. Hilarious, anyway! :rotfl:

For inpatient physio I had to have some kind of shoes - I used slip on runners. However at my outpatient P/T either shoes of some sort of barefeet. Just no slipping across the floor/potential lawsuit socks!

the older ladies all dressed up were the type that probably had little mobility before the op and will never get back what the crew here thinks is acceptable - if you know what I mean. Australia feels like it's about 20 years behind the US, so we're talking a different generation where ladies wear dresses and heels, may never have learned to drive a car and never, ever sweat. (I'll mention here that I am American by birth and lived there until I was 40 and am now an Australian citizen - yes it's a generalization, not everyone will fit into that mold)

You're describing my Mother and I'm almost a generation older than you are! Thank goodness things have changed - or have they? The high heels I see the young women walking around in today make me shudder.

Thanks, @dovemck I'll add slip on runners to my list.

Thanks everyone for giving me a huge chuckle tonight, most add shoes or slippers, as an Aussie I though thongs would do!!!!!!!

I am big on these during the summer, I wear these a great deal when I am relaxing.

It is still warm here, but we are approaching Autumn, our our winters here provide us with a great deal of snow and 0* weather. The grizzly bear pair would be more like it!

Those Adidas, though would not be recommended by my PT way back when I had my BTKR!:heehee:

Running shoes or crocs for me at PT--but only because that's about all my feet can tolerate due to a host of podiatric issues. I have done double-takes at PT due to very large ladies in ankle length caftans and those weird fake-jewel studded flat leather thong sandals on their overburdened feet. Mind you, I am not a small woman, but I'm talking about ladies whose upper arms are bigger than my thighs. I can't get my brain wrapped around wearing open shoes with absolutely no support to a gym-like environment. To their credit, these women are immaculately groomed and make a much better presentation than I do. Dirt and disarray like me.

Later on, I was able to wear athletic shoes. In the early days of PT, though, especially the first few days, slippers worked, as I was not doing a great deal of exercises that required tremendous support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties