Revision THR Fractured Femur after THR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creen

Hi Everybody.

First of all, let me thank you for all the information on this site. Its great to have a place to go to read about others having similar problems.

My husband had his 6th hip surgery since Nov 2005 in January. As expected, the surgeon had to break his femur bone to get the old one out and while inserting the new stem, he heard a crack and found that the femur bone had cracked from the stem down. He put 5 cerclage wires around the femur to help it heal. He was told no weight bearing for at least 6 weeks and no therapy or exercises.

Just to give you his "hip" background...

Nov05 RH Resurfacing
Feb07 RH THR - Stem punctured through femur & out back side of leg.
same day 2nd RH THR
Nov09 Released Psoas Muscle & Revised RH
Jan11 RH Replaced cup
Jan12 3rd RH THR fractured femur
below stem and 5 cerclage wires.

He went back to his surgeon at the 6 week mark and was told that the bone has not begun to heal as yet and he is still not allowed to weight bear. It will be 9 weeks on Wednesday and any time he tries to put any weight on it, the pain gets a lot worse and he has to take more pain killers.

Has anybody had this situation? He is getting very frustrated and depressed. He is still in considerable pain and has a hard time getting around and taking care of himself. He can't shower on his own, carry meals or drinks. We are just lucky that I can work from home. But I wonder if I am hindering his recovery. He tried to use a walker but he can't not weight bear on it, so it's crutches. The doctor says that it could be up to a year to 18 months before he is pain free. On the plus side, it seems that the pain is coming from the femur only and the hip pain he has been suffering with seems to be gone :yahoo:

Any advice?

Welcome to BoneSmart, Creen.

I must admit that is quite a breathtaking story about your husband. What he has been through is certainly not the norm. Because of the complex nature of his situation, I believe the best person to advise you is our forum nurse, Josephine. I'll tag her for you and she'll respond soon. @Josephine:

I agree - breathtaking is the word for it.

First thing to ask is if you have a recent xray of his hip? Meaning one since his last surgery.

With fractures, it's common for union to take many months to occur - my guess would be another 2-3 months - and it will be essential that he doesn't bear weight on it more than touch-toe for some of that time else it might cause movement at the fracture site which would hinder the healing. I trust you have another appointment for follow-up in a few more weeks?

I am also interested as to why you think you would be hindering his recovery? From what you've said, you are an absolute gem and necessity and he is really lucky to have such a partner to help him cope with this.

Thanks for your reply Joseshine! Yes we go back to the surgeon in 3 weeks. This surgeon has been absolutely amazing, btw... I know it may not seem like it from the amounts of surgeries, but he stood behind my husband 100% and a couple of times did surgeries even without evidence, only to find a big problem once he got in there.

I've attached 2 pics of the xray. They were taken with my iphone, so they are a grainy... sorry!

I'm worried that I am doing too much for him. For example... When he has a shower, I have to dry his legs because he can't bend that far. He feels like his ROM is worse. Should he be trying to stretch a bit further? The doctor has said no therapy and exercising but would that include stretching?

It seems like we have been through a lot... not just him. It has been trying to say the least, but we've made it through thus far :) Its not easy for him to have to ask for help all the time and I totally understand that but sometimes it tests my patience. My other question was going to be ~ Has anybody ever setup a support system forum for the spouse/partner/family? These surgeries have changed our lives completely... @Josephine:

Attachments

• Fractured Femur after THR
    pic 2.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 322
    pic 1.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 333
Welcome to the sight. Your poor husband, he has really been thru a lot. It sounds like he is very lucky to have you to take care of him. I don't know how to help you with him but I am going to say something to you. I was a caregiver for many years and I had to learn that I had to take care of me first. Please take care of yourself. You are so important and your health is also very important. Please tell me you are taking a hour for yourself every day. I know this can be very hard but it is so needed. What I did is had a cup of tea every day at a certain time and took my cup of tea outside if possible and just enjoy life and nature. With all the pain your husband is having have you tried playing calm music in his room while he is resting? My husband really enjoyed it and it helped with the pain because he told me " It made him relax and just set back and enjoyed the music." Just a subjection. Please take care with the weather the way it is. I don't know if you have been affected but do take care. :doggieshmooze:Tashia:loll:

Creen, I'll add another tag so that Jo knows you've posted the xrays. I'm not sure how much she's going to be able to tell from them because they are small and somewhat grainy. Is there any way to get them to email you a file of the xrays?

As for your question about a support group for the spouse/partner/family......I'm happy to tell you.....IT'S BONESMART!!! We frequently chat with family members about their loved one's surgery or help them through the stress of dealing with caregiving. So we're here for YOU as well as your husband.

Creen,

I've been through similar to what your husband has been dealing with, and from the patients stand-point. I'll say your not hindering him at this point at all with him only being 8-10 weeks post op especially from the type of complex revision and fractures that are still healing.

The healing of the femur could take up to a year or even longer, in my case it's been over two years, and my broken bones are still not completely healed.

However, he will slowly be able to do more and more for himself. It's kind of amazing on how well we can cope and do things for ourselves when we have to....we may not do things in the same way we did prior to sugeries but in my case I had to learn in a differant way then I ever did prior to all the surgeries I've had to have on my hip.

I believe you will find "Bonesmart" a wonderful place for you to get support as well. Welcome to Bonesmart, keep us posted on your husband's progress and yours too... hang in there, it will get easier for you too.

Hi Creen, I am so glad you joined us. I hope you not only find the help your husband needs but the support you need as well. I think you will find we do understand as many of us have been down the same road.

Hang in there. Jo should be along in a bit to comment on the xrays.

Thanks everybody. It's great to feel welcome and with like minds :) We all want the same things... to be either pain free or for our family member to be pain free.

I appreciate your reassurances. I guess I just needed a little reminder that he isn't fixed and still unable to do the things that he could after the previous surgeries. I don't want to push him, but I don't want to let him lay in bed 24/7 either. We went for a nice drive yesterday, which brightened both of our spirits. The weather was incredible and it was great.

Oh... He insists that he's ok to drive some... he says it take him mind off of being uncomfortable. The doctor didn't say either way and he doesn't want me to ask... probably because he knows the doctor would say no... what do you all think???

I had a problem putting the pictures on because they were too big, but I will try and make them larger and re-attach.

Special Lady... do you have any hip/groin/back pain or is it just femur pain? My husbands complaints before the surgery were groin pain that kind of wrapped around to his back and then pain down to his knee on the inside and outside of his leg. He seems to think that the femur is the biggest pain now... I'm just hoping it isn't just masking the hip pain and that the hip pain will resurface once the femur heals.

A friend heard this on the radio in North Carolina a couple of days ago and sent me the link... [FONT=&quot]https://m.npr.org/programs/all/3/148769073

Did anybody hear it? I found it very interesting that after one of the surgeries, can't remember which one, the doctor said that his body just didn't grow around the bone. He didn't mention anything about the new hip damaging the tissues, but I am certainly going to ask when we go in next time. But then I think, what's the point in asking, it's not going to change anything.

Creen
[/FONT]

Attachments

pic 1.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 231
    pic 2.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 201
Not that it really makes a difference, but he's not an old man. He's only 43. So it seems we are wasting the best years of our lives in pain. And by the time we get it fixed, we'll have absolutely nothing left and have to restart again. Pretty depressing :frown:

Just thought I'd mention that :wink1:

Creen

Thanks for the xrays but you need to put them in the post and not use attachments as that feature reduces the file-size of the image tremendously. Both tries are about 17kb and 300x400 pixels which is tiny. I am sure the original is much bigger than that! If you don't know how to post a picture look here for instructions How to post a photo

I need them in here like this image, and at a size not less than 600x400 pixels and 70kbs

Fractured Femur after THR

As for your hindering by helping, if he can't do things like drying his legs then you are doing exactly what he needs! That's nursing in the highest order. You are both in the classic catch 22 where he is embarrassed to ask for help and you are getting tired of giving it. But try to look at it like this: in your marriage vows, you said "in sickness and in health" and this is where you are right now. It's a tough call but it's what faithfulness is all about and I am sure he loves you all the more for it, despite everything. I am also sure that he knows only too well, how much of a burden he is. That's why he hesitates to ask when he needs help. It's tough, no-one would try to argue otherwise, but you are in this together and you will triumph together in the end. Hang in there - you are that rare pearl a man can have as a wife.

Hi Creen,

I had a broken femur from a fall two months after my first surgery. I also had a broken Trocanter DURING my first surgery to help them get the old hip out .... so TWO broken bits!
I also have the circular wires to strengthen things and a very very long prosthesis which almost reaches my knee (3-4 inches off). I was told not to weight bear for 6 weeks which in my case apparently was enough.
It was a difficult time especially after getting to the stage after my first op of walking without any aids only to have the accident which put me back two more months.
All this said I am doing really really well now and it's definitely worth being patient and calm about things. It will happen for him, be positive about it and it will happen!!
For more info read my thread from January 2012 and then look at my video posted a few days ago!

I wish you two the best possible for a great, if slow recovery.

Charlie

Beautifully said, Jo.

And Creen, just think, you are now on the "other side" of so much that hopefully you two
can begin to look forward to life without pain, even though recovery may be slow and humbling look for the beauty in each day. Who knows in the future how you may look back on this time together...patience is key for the patient and the caregiver. I wish you all the best.

Special Lady... do you have any hip/groin/back pain or is it just femur pain? My husbands complaints before the surgery were groin pain that kind of wrapped around to his back and then pain down to his knee on the inside and outside of his leg. He seems to think that the femur is the biggest pain now... I'm just hoping it isn't just masking the hip pain and that the hip pain will resurface once the femur heals.

[FONT=&quot]Creen[/FONT]

Creen,

Yes, I do have pain in the hip/lower back/groin and knee pain, in my case my greater trocanter was broken into pieces, a small part of the lesser trochanter, and a few fractures in my femur... all of which are still trying to heal. I do have one more surgery, which will be the 6th... I'm not looking forward to it for numerous reasons but I can't put it off for much longer. All and all though, emotionally I'm doing very well. Every once in a while it gets me down because of everything that has happened, but then I pull myself back up, plus I do have a wonderful support system of family and friends. Even my OS has helped me cope with all of it, and has given me the kind of support and encouragement I've needed now and then.

I can tell you the fractures do heal well in the femur though, and in my case putting partial weight on it actually helped the femur heal. As it created a union of the bone where the fractures were which helped it fuse back together according to my surgeon.

If I understand your husband's surgeries correctly, I would say the pain he is feeling is truly to be expected so soon after his last surgery. However, it's kind of natural or to be expected for you to be concerned since you both have been through so much with his hip surgeries.

I agree with Jo, it's really hard to ask for help at times, but even more so for your husband since you've both had to deal with a lot when it comes to his hip. From my point of view as the one that had the surgeries, I felt bad for my husband always having to help me with everything. Over time I've ended up training myself to do many things a little differantly, but it's all good, and it does take time to except things as they are whether for good or temporary.

You can probably understand it's really hard for a "Man" to ask for help because they feel they are the physically stronger in the marriage, or you could see it as I did in my case...I'm a woman I can handle this... LOL
Neither are a good way of thinking though, we all need help now and then in life or a leg up now and then you could say. It's when it's ongoing that it gets difficult for both of you. All of it will get better though, just keep doing what your doing, and keep your spirits up, because when he see's you happy and in good spirits it helps him keep his spirits up, and happy even while hurting.

Hang in there, keep us posted too.

Fantastic!

Having look at the first one, I can see that the fracture is nowhere near being healed.
Because of this he will be in a considerable amount of pain.

Personally, I think his recovery is going to be tough as this will take a very long time to heal.

Creen,

After seeing the photo's I'd say the pain he is feeling is certainly from the fracture, and post operative pain as well. It's going to take a while for the bone to fuse together, try not to get discouraged though.... it's truly a slooooowww process.

Just curious, what was he doing back in Feb. 2007 when the stem punctured through femur & out back side of leg? That had to have been a shock to see! Yikes!!!!

Wow Special Lady... that is my worst fear... that he will finally get fixed and then get hurt by something totally unrelated. You have been through a lot also!!!

It was during his surgery that the stem broke through the femur but I guess the doctor didn't notice until he was in recovery and they couldn't get his pain under control, so they went looking for the x-rays and found the problem. So they had to go back in and re-do it. I think he was in surgery a total of 7 hours that day :(

Creen

Hi Creen

What a gem of a wife you are... Here in Australia we would say 'you are a keeper' (meaning you are very special) and I am sure your husband loves you very much.

I am so sorry for the difficult time you are both going through, but it will get better eventually.. hang in there, we are here for you anytime :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018