Fibromyalgia and TNR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Get Well,
Welcome to Bonesmart, be sure to check out the Library link above on the right for helpful articles. I am sure others with fibromyalgia will be along with guidance. I would think you would want to work with a surgeon and PT who are familiar with fibromyalgia and TKR rehabilitation for an optimal outcome.
Good luck with your TKR,

^I'd agree with pumpkin. I suspect my fibro made the "energy drain" a bit worse than average, but other than that I didn't notice any major issues.

Kneeper, I didn't know you had fibro. Well, I do, too. Get Well, I have to say that I do think the fibro affected my recovery. My pain wasn't managed well, and my surgeon (knowing nothing about fibro) would only go so far with the pain meds. Finally I went to my GP who manages my fibro. He was much kinder.

I think fibro escalates any kind of pain. But on the other hand, it should be able to be managed. I just didn't speak up enough early on. So that would be my advice to you.....make sure you tell them if you're still in pain, so they can work with changing things.

Thank you for all of your replies...Pumpkin', Limpin Lizzie and Kneeper. Pain management is definitely an issue for me. I'll check out the library too.

My rheumy has prescribed a mild muscle relaxer over the years. That really helped--along with heat-- with the muscles which I swear were worse than the knee at times. Now that I think of it the fibro probably made the muscle situation (from straightening the leg etc) worse that it would have been. Like Lizzie says, definitely communicate, Get Well.

I have not had surgery yet (6 more days) and I too have fibro. I will be watching this thread for sure. I am already on pain meds for my chronic pain from the fibro and crohns disease, so have been told by my OS and Josephine that I will have what they call hyperanalgesia. Which means I will 'feel' more pain that someone who hasn't been on these meds. But he has already given me my pain meds and he uses a two med policy for these occasions. I will be taking Percoset and Dilaudid. But I am sure the fibro is going to act up, especially in the early days, as you are lying around alot. But my understanding and you might want to talk to your OS about it, as you may need two meds, one to take around the clock and the other for breakthru pain. Oh and I use muscle relaxers too, and they help sometimes too. Good luck and big hugs!

Nanners, you don't have to worry about lying around too much. That's what your knee will need. You'll be getting up anyway taking potty breaks, going to kitchen, etc. I didn't even notice other pain for a whiile....just the knee! Thank goodness you've got an understanding OS, who's going to give you 2 meds. That's what I should have had. Next time (if there is a next time), I'm going to be a lot smarter!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kevin from PA
Recent bookmarks