TKR Faith and Trust and Pixie Dust

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope the remainder of the week has been good for you and I'm so glad the antibiotics have done their job! :yay:
Have a good weekend. :bicycle1:

Hey TF, Wow, lots going on, glad to hear infection has settled, ican imagine what a worry that was.

Im still amazed that you have the time and energy to keep up your pt routine and work, ill be handing my wonder woman outfit over soon :bow: And swapping it for something altogether more sedate with a more comfy waist and less cleavage on show :rofsign:and sensible shoes ! Thank you gami! :heehee:

Seriously, you are a trooper and an asset to this site. :yes!:

My own scar is looking better and gradually getting smaller and moving upwards and thinning. Will definitely take a good year though before it goes the magic silver colour .

If you remember I had dreadful emotional trials going back to work, that and the sheer physical exhaustion were quite a shock to me and I still get a bit of fatigue but nothing like those early return days. I hope things settle soon for you as it puts extra pressure on the whole process. Obviously the work uncertainty doesn't help either.

Take care, hugs fx x

Thank you Fernie, it is so reassuring to know it is not just me being a total wuss.
It is really disconcerting to find myself so emotional over being back at work as I usually take things in my stride at work.
I thought having had longer off I would be fine, obviously not.
I am planning to take it as gently as I can for the next week or two and hopefully it will get better. I was speaking to a friend who had a hysterectomy recently and she had similar problems when she went back with being emotional. Again quite out of character.
Must get off to work. Catch up later, thank you for being a star,
Hugs Toothfairy x :egypdance: :SUNsmile:

Hi Hopper
" Hi Fernie and Toothfairy - daft question but what stroke do you swim? I'm still not in the pool yet but champing at the bit as I'm sure it will help loosen my knee up a bit. I love breast stroke but.....just can't imagine it. "

I am replying here so I am not taking over @Fernie's thread.

When I started back to swimming I completely avoided breast stroke. I did a little front crawl and also did breast stroke arms and just kicked with my legs. I too have always been a breast stroke swimmer.
After a couple of times I tried breast stroke very gently and it was not a good idea.
As time has gone on I now do exercises in the pool, leg lifts, walking forwards, backwards, side ways, jumping jacks, squats etc. I swim mainly front crawl and back crawl but I have started swimming breast stroke again. I started that by doing breast stroke arms and just very gently making the pattern with my legs but not putting any force into the kick. I would maybe do 6 lengths front crawl then one very slow and gentle breast stroke. As I have continued with this it is getting easier and feels right. I am still being gentle with my legs so my breast stroke is of the slow and leisurely variety but I am sure it will build up slowly until I get knee two done and I will start over again!
In the book " Total knee replacement and rehabilitation" by Brugoni and Falkel it says there is no reason you can't swim breast stroke after TKR. It also has lots of good ideas for exercises in the pool.
I was initially sceptical about swimming breast stroke again but if you take it slow and steady and gently you will get there.
Hope this helps.
Have a great day, hugs, Toothfairy x :bicycle2: :flwrysmile:

Hi TF - the swimming info is great!

I think the whole back to work thing is very hard. I'm not confident in certain things and making a couple of poor decisions as my confidence has taken a knock, also the fact that i'm limping a bit and just completely out of sorts (few other personal bits going on which are not helping) and I'm not myself at all.

I belive the longer you are off work the harder it is to go back, also in the back of your mind you know you'll have to have another 3 months off quite soon. Add all the changes and upheaval etc, its no wonder you are finding it a challenge. No one can ever prepare us for the TKR and the rocovery process.

Still, I've signed up for online Weightwatchers so i have something positive to focus on.

The school were letting me drop and pick up my daughter in the car park and have now said i can only do mornings and its a real hike from the road across 2 large playgrounds to her class and i was in agony last night and can only put it down to this extra activity.

I'm almost, at the i wish i didnt have this done stage, as i'm sooo fed up with it all now.

think i'm feeling sorry for myself a bit and need to crack on with it.

Cross stitch is going well but slowly!

I must crack on a bit now - been homworking all morning and need a break.

take care and i'll be back soon! love Fernie xx

Hi Fernie friend,
Big hugs and calorie free ww approved Belgian chocolates coming your way along with a big bunch of your favourite flowers. :console2: :flwrysmile:
I agree that back to work is tricky. Try to be gentle with yourself.
You have the added challenge of a youngster to look after as well as going back to work early etc etc.
You are doing marvellously. It is just hard for you to see that when you are right in the middle of it all.
Well done for joining WW online. I am still going to slimming world and am making progress.
I had my enhanced recovery appointment today, surprisingly interesting even though I did remember it from last time.
Just need to wait for a date now. Looks like it will be September/October as they mentioned today that appointments for July/August have already gone out. Time will tell.
I hope things are soon a bit brighter for you,
Big hugs, Toothfairy xxx :bicycle2: :bicycle1:

Hey Toothfairy! I am catching up on some threads as I start recovery all over again. You are certainly living a 'normal' life (well, with the addition of pain and swelling). Congrats. I am quite envious of those bike rides. I am also glad to hear your infection has cleared up. You don't suppose you got something from the pool, so you?

It is so hard to go back to work, isn't it. Retirement sure looks good. Work squeezes so hard and gets so much of our attention, time, and energy. I hope you can find a way to hang on to some of it for yourself. Sounds like you are.

How is that new grandbaby doing?

Hi TF Just checking in to see how you are doing. Work seems to be getting better. Glad for that. It must seem weird going back after such a long time. We get wrapped up in our own little TKR world dont we. Must be scary to think you have to go thru it all again soon. Im still waiting for my first physion to begin. Its next week. ROM isnt really much better. I reached my first stone weight loss today so Im sure that will help. My right knee is coping but I know it will need replacing soon. I just dont want to think about it. Hope you have a lovely week and a peaceful weekend. Take Care

Hi TF, been catching up a bit.
I totally agree about freaking when even the smallest thing goes wrong, any kind of infection however small would have had me running for my doc, probably crying like a baby too! You handled it well, got it sorted & it's all better now. Pat on the back! :console2:
Still getting heel pain too, depends very much on how much I walk. Most days I walk round the lake after work & that cranks up the nighttime pain till I lay off for a day or two. It does seem to gradually (glacially!) get better.
You are sooo not a wuss, the stuff we go through is unimaginable to most & it leaves emotional as well as physical scarring. We are entitled to feel fragile for a while yet, plus, you have the added weight of needing to go through it all again!
Work life has a way of sorting itself out, I've never worried about stuff that hasn't happened yet, too busy dealing with all the stuff on my plate already & happening now!!!
Big hugs, mmmmmm to Belgian chocolate & see you in ODIC no doubt!!!
:puppysmooze: :cheers: :beer:

Hi TF, hope you are well and everything is going to plan in your fluttery, fairylike world.

Great Post above by the way Alison - agree with all of it :goodpost:

I'm not doing so bad although a nightmare week at work so i'm glad it is very soon over and we can start afresh on Monday.

Looks like you are thinking and mentally preparing for your next surgery - if you plan it right you'll be off until after Christmas. At least 2013 can be your official 'year of the knee' and you can leap (ish :heehee: ) into 2014 feeling great and knowing you have fabulous and beautiful knees that will take you wherever you want to go.

Thanks for the virtual chocs, hhmmm not trying to sabotage my diet are you ? :shrug: :whistle: , Gorgeous flowers as well by the way, my favourites! :flwrysmile:

take care, nearly Friday again. Hugs Fernie xx jetthugger

I am catching up on some threads as I start recovery all over again

Hi Ready - didnt realise you'd had your other knee done - congrats and i hope everything is going well.
Fernie

Sorry for brief thread sabotage TF !:SUNsmile:

Hello everyone.
Thank you for all your lovely posts.
This week has been so much better than last. Work was busy but I coped much better. I also rested much more and got more sleep which all helped. How are you doing with WW online Fernie ? Hope it is going well and that the weekend doesn't trip you up. I am glad your nightmare week is over and like your comment about starting again next week. Tomorrow is always another day.
Hi Ready. I really don't know what caused the infection. It appeared to be under the surface so I wonder if there could have been a residual bit of stitch? I certainly never noticed any break in the surface of my scar. I massage it with oil and lotion a couple of times a day so I am sure I would have noticed. I think it will remain a mystery. As long as it has cleared up I don't mind. Maybe it was from the pool, I will never know. It certainly shook me up.
My new Grandaughter is thriving and just adorable. My first Grandaughter is becoming a very loving big sister.
Ho Pat robynhood amazing weight loss, congratulations. You should be really proud of yourself. I hope your physio appointment goes well next week. At least you can report back that you have done everything they asked you. Hopefully they can come up with some ideas how you can move forward. I am in a chilled phase about TKR 2, I had my enhanced recovery appointment this week where they went through all the details, instructions etc. there were a few different things from last time, nothing major. The one thing that shocked me was when someone asked about going back to work they said two weeks for a desk job and four for a job where there was a lot of standing! :yikes:
Hi Alison jetthugger lovely to hear from you. I sympathise with your heel pain, mine has come back with a vengeance. My left foot also gets a bit swollen when my heel is bad. I am managing it with rest and it is improving. I have had more aches and pains in my TKR knee since I went back to work but I did expect that. Rest, ice and the occasional paracetamol are dealing with that. I am spending quite a bit of time in the ODIC but it is good to get back on with life. I am trying to do as much as I can before I have to slide back into the slow lane for a while. Just waiting for a date now.
Have a great weekend everyone, thanks for all your support, you are all stars,
hugs, Toothfairy x :SUNsmile: :dancy: :dancy:

Hope this finds you enjoying your weekend off and resting enough to prepare for your new week. Still no date for #2? You said perhaps September. That would be kind of nice timing: enjoy summer and get the worst of it over before having to navigate the snow.

The one thing that shocked me was when someone asked about going back to work they said two weeks for a desk job and four for a job where there was a lot of standing! :yikes:
Who said that? Was it from someone about to have a TKR or from the person running the group? I hope you set them straight!

Hi Ready the question was from someone awaiting a new knee and the answer was from the physio assistant who was running the session.
I certainly voiced my disagreement and disbelief!
I have been enjoying a very relaxing day today doing some knitting. Hope you are well. Could you imagine going back to work on Monday!!!
Hugs, Toothfairy x :SUNsmile: :happydance:

No I'm sure you can't and I don't suggest you try it.
Hugs, Toothfairy x :egypdance: :happydance:

Hi Toothfairy Reading your thread and how wonderful it sounds to go back swimming. I have been worried that if I managed to go getting in the pool would be great but then thought how I would I bend down enough to slide into the pool from the side and how to climb the ladder getting out of the pool. Today at massage therapy i found out that a pool in a nearby rec centre has steps that are wide leading right into the water. I think it sounds really nice and think I will maybe check into it. I have always loved the water and sometimes go to conservation parks swim outdoors not a really strong swimmer but can get along quite ok. Swimming what a wonderful idea hope all is going nice for you Holly:happydance:

Hi TF. I was sending you private msg earlier and for some reason with this stupid ipad I pressed the IGNORE button. Believe me I wasnt meant to press that and hope I have rectified it. Thanks.

Hello everyone or should that be anyone?
Week five back at work passed uneventfully and I now feel like I have never been away.
I am still managing to cycle on my exercise bike most days. We had a lovely cycle ride yesterday to the local market town.
My knee is doing really well, it is still a little swollen and still gets stiff when I overdo things but I have no complaints. I am so pleased I had it done. I am still waiting for a date for knee two, hopefully will have a date soon.
Enjoy the lovely sunshine,
Hugs Toothfairy x :SUNsmile: :happydance:

Hi TF. I was sending you private msg earlier and for some reason with this stupid ipad I pressed the IGNORE button. Believe me I wasnt meant to press that and hope I have rectified it. Thanks.
No problem Pat robynhood, hopefully you will get this and have received my reply to your pm.
Enjoy the sunshine,
TF x

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member