THR Child birth after THR

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsTatiana

Hello all,

I pray all is well with everyone. I am 33 years old and am recovering from a Left THR. This surgery was completed on June 28th 2012 (successfully, even though I needed 2 units of blood 3 days after). I was advised to apply less than 40 pounds of weight on the operated leg for 5-6 weeks. Just a few days ago, I was able to get off my walker and move on to a cane (gradually). The cane is great, but I am experiencing a little muscle/joint pains since the change. Currently, I am on oxycodone and they are working (1 pill every 6 hours - use to have 2 every 6hrs for the first week). I cannot wait to get off of these pills.
My 6 weeks medical follow up is on this coming Wednesday with my Surgeon.
Over-all, physio is going great, I am following all the rules and the arthritis pain in my left hip is no more. I get frustrated due to the slow pace and less weight bearing on my cement-less new hip. I have to embrace patience and trust the professionals.
I was a bit stressed in my first 3 weeks, due to getting calls from co-workers who expected me to return to work in less than a month. I had to explain to them that a THR is a major surgery and I was not medically ready to. I think HR spoke to them, because they are finally showing sympathy. Maybe they googled what my surgery was all about.
My right hip is taking a beating as it awaits its turn and I am desperately trying to increase my iron levels - I feel weak at times, but it is improving.
Prior to my surgery, I went to work in pain everyday and could only walk for 10 minutes max. Having a desk job made is easy, but I was bone to bone on the left.

I do not have kids and would love to starting next year (married in 2010).
Has anyone experienced child birth after THR? Any insights?

Thank you.

welcome-waving.gif
MrsTatiana. So pleased you have joined us here on the forum. You appear to be doing very well, and it will continue to get better. When you have your second hip done--you'll have a pain free life!
We have a couple of members who have had hip replacement and are pregnant
pregn-smiley.gif
now. I am going to tag shugaplum so you can communicate with her.

Take care of yourself and keep us posted. We care.
hugsmile1.gif

Thank you for the warm welcome and assistance :). I am so happy I joined. This site is amazing with so much information and experiences.

Considering the many hundreds of thousands of women who have had hip replacements due to developmental conditions, I should say there are at least many thousands who have had children after replacement. It's not really an issue though you might experience some discomfort in the hips as you approach full term.

Thank you Josephine. I bet the discomfort of the hips closer to full term is comparable to other women who do not have THRs.

It has been almost 6 weeks since my surgery and I can feel how great my future will be without pain. I sometimes worry about if my hips will accommodate such changes, but inside I know all will be well in the end. I just have remain positive and enjoy :)

Hello!

Has anyone had issues with returning to work? it has been less than a week since I started walking on a cane. My new LTHR is cementless and I was instructed to refrain from applying weight on the leg. I have been on a walker for over 4 weeks. The cane is new, so I am experiencing a mild thigh pain and my PT advise that I do not push with it with the cane, I have to increase my walking gradually. I know this much, I cannot walk well without the cane, I am on pain killers which make me sleepy, my restrictions where not removed.

The problem is, my Boss and Co-workers said that it is not normal for Surgeons to recommend little or no weight bearing, they said I should be fully walking by now and that I should be fine to return to work next week Monday - (6 weeks after surgery). I think I will be fired for following my doctor's advise.

Hello MrsTatiana, welcome to Bonesmart. I'm glad you posted these issues on here as I am too looking at having my own family one day and seeing that I am nine weeks post op and facing going back to work in three weeks, I'm terrified because I'm walking with a cane but my unoperated hip is killing me when I walk. So we're almost in the same boat.

My surgeon did not want me putting any weight bearing for six weeks, due to bone grafting as well but my only suggestion is to please listen to your body and follow the doctors orders! They're the ones that performed the surgery and know what's best for your healing. Take it easy, we just had major surgery and the body is taking its time to get back to "normalcy"!

Stay positive and keep us posted on your progress.

Hi and all the best to you. Thank you for replying and we are almost in the same boat. I am holding up pretty well and cannot wait to have the right hip corrected. All in due time. We are getting there :)

I had my 6 weeks following up yesterday and it went well. My x-rays were perfect and my Surgeon was happy to see me on the cane, as he instructed. He also confirmed it will be 4 weeks before I return to work, now that I am finally adding weight to my step. I told him my co-workers and boss will be ticked and he said, " ignore them". His office also completed the forms for my HR and sent them in immediately. This will now place me at a 2.5 months return to work (5 weeks of no weight on my operated leg).
Enough about that... I am on track. I feel a bit more comfortable on the cane and love physio therapy. I lost over 15 pounds and some is due to a loss of appetite. My iron is improving. The pool is my haven and I will increase my visits.

I plan to regain the movements in life...one step at a time :yay:

That's amazing! I'm very happy for you. I'm hoping to return back to work in the next three weeks and I'm so nervous. That will be three months home yet I still feel like I'm so far from walking normal. I wobble so badly and with the pain in my right hip I wobble and limp. I don't want to do surgery again for at least another year but we'll see what happens.

Wishing you all the best in your recovery and going back to work!

Have you returned to work yet, if so how are you doing? We would love to hear from the both of you. Take care and continue to have a slow safe recover. :puppysmooze:Tashia:bicycle1:

Hello and thank you Tashia. I am home, recovering. The doctor did not sign off for me to return and notified HR that Sept 19th will be the day he decides. It has been about 7 weeks since my surgery (5.5 weeks out of that on no weight bearing). I am on a cane and can make a couple of steps without it. My physio is going well. :yay:

ps - My Boss and Co- Workers feel so bad about their ignorance in regards to THRs.
HR informed them that the company do not tolerate their views and they are very ashamed of the comments made to me.

I'm so glad to see that you are being treated better but your employer- ugh! What an awful feeling while you're trying to recover! I hope you are continuing to feel better every day... It is all about patience... :)

I should think so too! Of course, when they said whose things, you should have responded with "And you got your medical degree when?" People can be so ignorant.

I wanted to asked them if they are Surgeons, but I chickened out. I knew I had the medical facts, the labour laws and support on my side - I had to learn how to block them out of my "non-work" time-zone. I still have to get the right hip replaced and it should be smooth sailing :yay: thanks!

Hi, Im 36 and was told that my right hip was bone on bone when I was 29. Iv managed the pain for these past years but am getting very close to giving in and getting the replacement. I have put an awful lot of weight on in the past 7 years weighing in at 230 pounds which is worrying me as dont want to jepadise the replacement. I have a 15 year old son but have been desperate for years to have another child, (the clock is ticking). Both my doctor and consultant have said its not wise to try for a baby whilst my hip is in this state. Am very nervous about booking in for hip replacement and also what damage a pregnancy could do to THR.

Dee, we are talking about metal and plastic or ceramic firmly implanted into bone. As long as you are fully recovered, a baby is not going to damage the implant. Get that hip replaced and eliminate the pain you're living with and get well----and happy baby!
baby in crib.gif

Hi Dee, I was informed I needed to replace both hips before having kids. Your body have to be in tip top shape for a healthy pregnancy. Listen to your Surgeon/Doctor. Wishing you all the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Duffyboy
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts