• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

THR Cerclage wire & pain

Smilan

Country
United States United States
I had my left THR in Sept 2022 and right in May 2023 (almost a year out!). Recovery has been great for both, but recently noticing some sensations and pain around the cerclage wire they used on my right upper trochanter. I am not 100% sure about this. It could be due to my activity levels changing significantly, but I feel a bit worried that this is happening almost a year out. Doctor's office says to keep an eye on it and if the pain worsens or doesn't go away they will have me come in to get looked at. I know there are some other posts on here about cerclage wires, but wanted to see if others had any thoughts based on my most recent x-ray in Sept 2023.
1715194190033.png

Last edited:
@Smilan - I have zero expertise, but I do have a cerclage! I think your theory about change in activity levels being a possible cause sounds likely. How long have you felt it and what kind of activity? (Strenuous exercise?) Did your dr say the fracture had closed? My fracture was a small vertical bone split and i think it’s gone

@Smilan - I have zero expertise, but I do have a cerclage! I think your theory about change in activity levels being a possible cause sounds likely. How long have you felt it and what kind of activity? (Strenuous exercise?) Did your dr say the fracture had closed? My fracture was a small vertical bone split and i think it’s gone
@Valentine I was told that I had no fracture! I think they said it was to stabling the joint. I feel like I feel it when I am sitting on certain surfaces

@Smilan Given that that x-ray is nearly a year old I would suggest getting back in touch with your surgeon and getting a new x-ray taken. For what ever reason the cerclage wire was placed, it is possible that something has occurred since that picture was taken to cause the discomfort you have now.

@djklaugh Thanks for responding! I should get this looked at. I just hope it’s not something I have to remove.
Would you happen to know what is involved in removing cerclage wires? Is it another major surgery?

@Smilan It may depend on what exactly is wrong - if anything. IF the wire broke and everything else is stable and in good condition then it might be just an arthroscopic procedure - but I am not a surgeon or even a nurse. So I think the best thing to do would be get the appointment and the new x-ray and see what the surgeon says.

Thanks! Yeah, best to just get this checked out. I have an appt with the doctor for June 5 and will give an update here. If there is a cancellation, they may see me sooner :fingersx:

@Smilan sorry, I just saw your reply. I understand your concern. I have not experienced that and I am glad you have an appointment to get it checked. My understanding in general from my surgeon is that they don’t like to remove the cerclage unless it’s absolutely necessary. I don’t think it would be a ‘major surgery’ like those that you have had, but they would likely have to mess with muscles and soft tissue to get to it which would involve some recovery. Hopefully you get relief before you even go and then get a good report from the doctor as well

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
ScaredSilly2024
Recent bookmarks