2 weeks post op. Pain increasing-HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joanie

I am exactly 2 weeks post op today after a left TKR and I feel the pain is getting worse in my knee instead of better, so much so it's limiting how much physio I am able to do. I seem to be starting to get the feeling bak in the kneecap and it's just a constant louping and jaggy pain. Is this normal? Didn't sleep so good last night for the first time.

I went out to the shops with my husband yesterday for the first time and am wondering if perhaps I could have overdone it. was in a wheelchair in the first shop and an electric buggy in the second so I didn't do terribly much walking although more than I've done since getting the op.

I still also have pain in my quads, calf, behind the knee and ankle. Is this normal at this stage?

Was on slow release oxycontin 30mg twice a day, This is my third day of wearing a bu-trans 10 patch which is changed weekly, take ecoxicarb 60mg and can take paracetamol 1G 4 times a day if required which it definetely is at the moment.

Wondering if this is perhaps just a stage of healing and a lot of people experience it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You are doing WAAAY too much! A short trip out, 10 mins out and 10 mins back is quite enough at 2 weeks. The pain is due to swelling and your leg needs to be iced and elevated extensively. I am sure others will chime in and give their 2 pen'orth but that is my opinion.

Go easier on yourself - you have had a BIG operation and you are not going to bounce back to normal life in a couple of weeks, nor even a couple of months. Do your physio, ice, ice, ice - rest, rest, rest and keep taking the tablets!!

I'm going to chime in on this one. I made my first trip to the grocery store 3 weeks after my surgery, and it was too soon! You really need to slow down. It's boring to stay at home and do nothing but your physical therapy, but this is how you will get better.

SLOW DOWN!!!!!
I'm only one week ahead of you and you sound like you are doing exactly what I did.....And I paid for it.
First. At two weeks, when I had the staples removed, I reluctantly told the Dr. I needed some drugs with more kick to them. Especially for night time use. I felt like a drug addict. He laughed and told me to get used to it, that I would probably be taking something for several months. Got'em.
Secondly, when the therapist told me to do 1 set of 10 reps twice daily, I did 1 set of 10 about six times daily. I paid.
I am used to working out. I have since I was 13 and I'm now 55. Can't do the knee like that right now. There isn't a magic meter in the knee that warns you that you are going too far so do what the therapist tell you to do or it will punish you.
Use ice. Lots of ice.
Rest. We are both still being impacted by our major surgery. I go in spurts. I get tired very quickly. So I hop in my chair and nap.
Finally, as for going out, take little trips. See how you do. I know I have about driven my family crazy. I have cabin fever badly.
Read these various posts. You'll see folks that are frustrated one day and then celebrating a little success a couple of days later.
Hang in there with us and we'll all get over it together!!

I agree. I am 7 weeks PO and just now getting out more. I tire easily and spend a lot of time resting. Still take some pain meds. I finally understand this is a longer journey than I expected. You're probably over doing it, but I remember the same aches and pains you describe. I think you are totally normal. Read through the forum and you'll see that you are not alone and we all understand what you are going through. Hang in there. It gets better, I promise!

Skeet

thanks for all your quick feedback. It has really reassured me. I will definetely take all your great comments on board. This really is a brilliant site as so many have said as you realize you're not alone or a wimp after all!!!

I will tell you that you are brave, but too much so. Listen to everyone else.
I am 4.5 weeks, I went to work today, because I really thought they needed me, I did what I needed to do and now I am sorry I did it.

When you are home and resting you do get so restless and you feel pretty good, that's because you are home and resting. I had a great day today at PT, I had a new guy and he was so good at stretching, massage, and I really felt great, then I went and ruined it by feeling so good thought I could go into work, even though I could sit when I needed which I thought would be okay, so on and so forth.

Last night I slept almost the whole night in my bed with my husband, I was so happy, now I am up walking the floors, just trying to find relief and the meds aren't cutting it at the moment.

So in the end the hardest part of this surgery is patience.

I had surgery 12-17 and thought I'd be back at work on 1-14, then 2-1, now it is 2-19 part time and 3-3 full time. It takes longer than we realize to heal enough to have energy for work. All our energy is going to healing. Our heads want to do something more than rest. I read 4 books, crocheted some stuff, played the piano, anything to occupy my mind while my body is busy healing. Once you go back to work, folks will quickly treat you like you were never out and expect the pre-surgery output, so take your time and rest all you can beforehand.

And the older you get, the harder it is to heal... dang!

Skeet,
I know what you mean about going back to work. I thought that this week I would be back ft and I did work and I do work from home on my computer/phone but my job requires me to be on my feet from time to time. I am a catering manager at a college and I need to go to a lot of special events. Well, just doing 2 or 3 days a week is too much. I worked a long day in my office on Tuesday, then a short day but on my feet last night and I have been exhausted all day. Luckily my boss is very understanding and since a good bit of my job can be done from my home office I have that option, if I had to go back in all day I don't think I could handle it yet. I know I couldn't and you are so right, please everyone listen to Skeet, take your time, don't go unless you have no choice financially, but if you can take your time do it. We will all be better off and be more productive in the long run. Take my word, I tested it and Skeet is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kneelythere
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom