THR 1 year and 1 month and counting

Status
Not open for further replies.

KristinL

Hi all I should've introduced myself before so here goes....

I'm 43 and just (11/9/10) had my right hip replaced with allograft. Thanks to the donor whomever they may be! I had bone cysts in the pelvis and my hip has been popping and crackling and on and off hurting since I was in my 20's.

My first foray into getting an answer was seeing a rheumatologist who first said that it was all in my head becasue my mother had rheumatoid Arthritis and OsteoArthritis. After the first MRI some 7 years ago she said "you have an 80 year old hip". Nice.

So I found an Orthropedist and pain killers for the last 7 years waiting and waiting until I stopped going to malls, stopped walking around Walmart (those who don't have them they are huge stores soccerfield size), always looking for the closest parking space, stopped stepping sideways to the right. Everything finally came to a head when I could no longer do just about anythng without pain and my life narrowed into little spaces and more and more prescriptions. Yuck. Hissy fit emoticon was here but it kept hitting itself in the head and was troubling to watch.

It was a big decision as I was living alone far away from my support system in a job that required a fair amount of physicality working with troubled adolescents. I decided there was more to life. I tried steroid injections in the hip trying to hold out until 2011 (waiting for the shorterm disability insurance to kick in) but they did no good. So I told my employer I needed a hip replacement and in October I left my job and headed from Texas to Pennsylvania and my trusted surgeon to get my new hip.

Today (whew) I am 5 weeks out. I have stepped to the right. :thmb: That was a huge moment when I discovered I could. I have these thigh cramps that feel like an elephant is standing on me and I wait till they pass and I can move again. I really hate not being able to do a lot of things and talk myself down from being frustrated. Who knew how much I bend beyond 90 degrees in a day. Apparently it's a lot :hehe: and I miss it.

Truth be known I dont have hardly any patience with myself. I can sit and talk a troubled kid down for 4 hours but myself - nope. I feel like I'm no doing enough, relying on my father (thank you thank you thank you) for getting, fetching, retrieving, doing the things I should be. Proper grammar is an extra charge - LOL.

So, my crocheting is actualy getting done, my books are read and as soon as I can stand up in the shower I will be ready to move on.

People ask me "you're so young, why do you need a hip?" "Just lucky" I reply.

Re: Post-Op Blues

Kristin-
Don't feel like you should be doing more. Your job right now is to heal! Just know that later on, when the healing is done you will be able to do all those things and then some!! And all without the pain you've been living with for years. I still have days when I get down and frustrated, but the light at the end of the tunnel gets brighter with each day that passes. So......keep reading, crochet your heart out and know that this too shall pass. :cnsl:

Re: Nov. 9, 2010 New Hip with Allograft

Big official welcome to you, Kristin! I have moved your introduction to its own thread so that others can see it and reply more easily. Use this thread to post your concerns and updates and that way you'll form a "story" or journal of your recovery. We have found this to be very helpful to others so they can read about you in one place and follow your improvements and successes!

Of course, it's great for you to comment in other threads too! I hope BoneSmart is a help to you.

KristenL said:
I have these thigh cramps that feel like an elephant is standing on me and I wait till they pass and I can move again.
Sounds to me like you're under-medicated. What pain pills are you on and how often are you taking them?

And you shouldn't be doing things right now! Your job is not to do things but to rest, rest, rest!

Have you read in the Library - all the threads about pain management and such? If not I recommend it as essential reading. The link is in my signature ...

Hi thanks for the help! Lortab every 8 hours and Ibuprofen 600 mg every 8 hrs. I just had a follow up with the surgeon on Monday who wanted to get me "off painkillers by January". I don't know how to feel about this. He also suggested that I "should" be off the walker by then also. Not sure that's going to happen either.

Over the years my primary care doctor has managed the pain killers. Maybe I should see him about that? hummm food for thought. Thanks for your input something to think on.

Thanks Jamie for moving me. I didn't think how valuable a tool that would be. I was a little shy about announcing because of the directions...but thank you.

Hi Kristin. Welcome!! Glad you found us.

So the way I understand it is that you have a new human hip and not an artificial hip??

It is very hard to go from doing so much everyday even pushing through the pain to be told after surgery to rest,rest and of course rest some more! But if you dont rest you will take big steps back in your recovery because it will hit you hard and knock you on your butt. So dont feel bad for doing want your body needs right now, it will not heal any better or faster if you push yourself and not rest.

Maybe your OS doesnt mean he is cutting you off cold turkey come January but that it is a goal, just as getting you off the walker is a goal. If you are worried about either one of these please have a talk with him before January hits!

Thanks, Haldox, I know that if I push it the next day will be back to lousy. Already did it. Whoops. :doh:

I have my pelvis and an artificial hip and extra bone grafts. I had bone cysts in the area where the femural head meets the pelvis. Which are voids in the bone (really unusual) which were "significant and growing". Yikes. After the bone cancer in the pelvis scare - it made the whole new hip thng seem almost easy. lol.

So, when he went in to clean out the pelvis to attach the cup there wasn't enough material from the now removed femural head to make a pelvic connection so they put in donor bone to make enough bone. This apparently is pretty unusual esp. for "someone my age" which I'm getting used to being a zebra in a herd of horses.

That's actually not an uncommon procedure, Kristen, and one of the reasons the bone graft bank was created some years ago. Before then, we used to remove the fibula to get the bone, or harvest a large part of the tibia on the other leg - both exceedingly painful procedures!

However, I am always a bit leery of surgeons who want to set goals like that. It sometimes comes across as a bit of moral blackmail that you'll 'dance to his tune or else' kind of thing. But short explanation is, if you have pain, you need pain killers or, as you rightly put it, your progress will be hampered. And since your pain management is being dealt with by your GP, then just smile sweetly at your surgeon, say 'yes, sir' and do your own thing!

You're a bright, intelligent and well motivated lady - you are not going to keep with the walker or the pain pills one minute longer than you need to. Shame he doesn't give you credit for that!

kristinL
I had bonegraft in the pelvis with my primary hip replacement also, it made me fear that my replacement was not as good as others for that reason. That was not the case as I got 20 very good years with it, I am now awaiting a revision, I wish I could be guaranteed another 20 years. Enjoy the new hip.

Josephine, I must gush - and say I love you! Thanks for your support!:wub:

Danni, 20 yrs brilliant! if I could get 20 years now and almost another 20 I will be set for life. How do you know when the first hip is ready to be replaced? Just informational as I hope I will not need the info for a long time...

KirstinL

In my case the signs are very subtle, the odd click and slights pains in groin area, pain in buttock cheek when sitting too long and discomfort when driving all of which are mild but prompted me to go see a consultant. X-rays showed component migration which he says warrants a change. I guess that is why we are supposed to have regular check-ups, I rarely had a check as I was so glad to be free of pain and I just wanted to get on with my life, I felt that when you continue to attend checks its hard to lead a normal life.

Kristen, Danni's hip lasted 20 years therefore it was done in 1990. I've heard of people having their hips 35 and 40 years! Truly! And they were done in 1970 and 1975. Think about that!

Now we've had all those years of technology to improve things. Better implant design and manufacture, better metal science, better surgical skills, better research into how various materials function and interact with each other and with the human body.

Now this opinion is based upon nothing more than my years in this business, but I have every expectation that, all things being well, some of the hips and knees put in today have every chance of lasting 45-50 years! Think about THAT ! Mind you, I won't be around to find out if I am right or not, but be sure I shall be keeping an eye on it!
1 year and 1 month and counting

Thanks Kristin for your explanation, you learn something new everyday!

Jo I have no doubts that some of these replacements will last as long as you say they might but I will be happy to know that you will still be keeping an eye on it!

:rotfl:

Ladies, How about those high heeled shoes?

Okay, everyone is different, every hip is different, but how long did it take to get back into heels?

Actually if the men in the forum here wear them - how long did it take for you to get back into them too?

Not serious stilettos but nice normal pumps even kitten heels.

I haven't worn them in years one of the motivating factors for going through with this. Horse back riding I will even forgo but great shoes...when when when?

Re: Ladies, How about those high heeled shoes?

I recall some of the gals in the past saying they were able to wear heels after recovery, but for the life of me I can't recall any time frames! You might try a search of the hip recovery forum because I know it was discussed before.

Re: Ladies, How about those high heeled shoes?

I wore heeled boots the other day but then again I am still on crutches. Not sure that I would have done it otherwise yet. Still pretty wobbly without the crutches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013