Ceramic on Ceramic - Help !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,
Apologies for the lack of posts, I have been away for a few days with the family for well earned break !

I know have a date !! Tues 16th December...... hit me like a brick - so I need to man up !!!!

Thanks to all of you for your advise and private messages, you don't know how helpfull this is to me !!

Still knocking around on he football pitch and running however I am paying the price at night with the hip & knee pain !! Frozen peas are very popular in my house :)

I guess at 37 my football days are coming to a close having said that even if I hang the boots up I know that the lure for the odd game will be too good to turn down. I also play 5 aside football once a week which is indoor with my mates - what are your thoughts on me returning to this ? I think you have pretty much answered it though !

In terms of recovery how long will it take ?
The docter said I could be out of hospital within a day ?
Will I be able to walk ?
I will have a look through the links on this site as well.....

Fortunatley we have a physio at work (Cadburys) who has offered to give me treatment for free (the company pays for it)
What are your thoughts on this ?

Will keep you posted, thanks again for all your comments - so glad I found this site !

Laters my friends !:wink:

Yes, you will be able to walk - usually with an aid, walker or crutches - the first thing you will notice is that the bone on bone pain is gone - miracle! And I found that I was standing taller which made me giggle as my pelvic tilt straightened me up..

How long you will be in hospital does depending your surgical outcome - my Os said 5 days, I was in for 11 - but that was not due to the THR..

Here is a link to an article that I suggest you read regards how long to recover..

Slow and steady and remembering that recovery from a joint replacement can be a marathon and not a sprint gives one permission to recover in one's own timeframe :)

The following is a link to an article which provides the current science regarding the healing beneath and around the implant and approximate timeframes for the healing phases and processes and the relevant nutritional information for each phase.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

Hi Sandyharman,
You are of my age. Good luck with your upcoming surgery. I have a question about ceramic to ceramic hip replacement . You might have done some research out there in UK because according to the surgeon I just saw, it is not approved by FDA in US yet but it is widely used in Australia and Europe. The surgeon said it is the most strongest prosthetic which should be used for young people like us. I am little skeptical to do it here because it is not approved by FDA here in USA but the surgeon can put me in the clinical trial about the ceramic to ceramic.

I am really confused and can not determine. Please suggest me and share your thoughts/experiences.

@sub36 there are ceramic on ceramic approved by the FDA, this info came from www.fda.gov
DePuy Ceramax Ceramic Total Hip System - P070026/S004
This is a brief overview of information related to FDA’s approval to market this product. See the links below to the Summary of Safety and Effectiveness Data (SSED) and product labeling for more complete information on this product, its indications for use, and the basis for FDA’s approval.

Product Name: DePuy Ceramax Ceramic Total Hip System
PMA Applicant:
DePuy Orthopaedics, Inc.
Address:
P.O. Box 988, 700 Orthopaedic Drive, Warsaw, Indiana 46581-0988
Approval Date:
April 2, 2013
Approval Letter:
https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/ cdrh_docs/pdf7/p070026s004a.pdf

Duraloc® Option Ceramic Hip System - P040023
This is a brief overview of information related to FDA's approval to market this product. See the links below to the Summary of Safety and Effectiveness and product labeling for more complete information on this product, its indications for use, and the basis for FDA's approval.

Product Name: Duraloc® Option Ceramic Hip System
Applicant: DePuy Orthopaedics, Inc.
Address: 700 Orthopaedic Dr., P.O. Box 988 , Warsaw , IN 465810988
Approval Date: May 3, 2005
Approval Letter: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cdrh_docs/pdf4/P040023a.pdf

My insurance will not cover THA/THR with hardware that is not approved by FDA. You might be enrolling in a clinical trial of a hip that is trying to get FDA approval... just be cautious if that's not what you are trying to do.

texasvet,

thanks for the information. Actually you are right about the trial. The doctor wants me to put in trial for ceramic to ceramic by strykler. He said it is not yet approved by FDA but it is widely used in Europe and Australia. He advised me to get ceramic to ceramic becuause it is the most strongest hip implant and good for active and young people like us. I am really confused and little bit skeptial of what to do. The doctor said his team and other 8 hospital in US are doing that trial.

@sub36 if you know the name the hardware is marketed under in Europe, do a search on this site. A lot of the post surgical hippies have listed in their signature block what hardware was used on them. This may help you talk to someone with first hand knowledge of the product your doctor is talking about. The surgeon's skill is probably the most important thing to a good outcome (according to the smarties on this site). If I have a choice with my surgeon, I'll probably request ceramic on ceramic. I'm not done living yet and will be putting a lot of miles on my hips. My husband refused to hike down into the Grand Canyon with me because of my hips, so that will be one of the first things I do when I am recovered enough after surgery (6 months to a year). Good luck with your decision :what:, I know it's scary and personal, but do as much research as possible, and talk to people who have ceramic on ceramic or who did a clinical trial for hip hardware.

@sandyharman Well done on getting your date!
In terms of recovery how long will it take ?
Every recovery is different. My first THR was a very long recovery (12+ months). My recent THR is much different. I was driving at 4 weeks and I am nearly back to a normal activity level at just over 6 weeks.

You will be up and walking hours post op. Once you can walk the halls and do the stairs you are good to go home (if meds and pain levels are sorted).

Physio - take it if it is offered. You may not get anything out of it but in many cases it can enhance recovery.

Thanks Jacey, this has happened all so quick since I joined this site, having to read through threads to reassure myself !!!!
I have a decent docter loads of advice and hopefully can kick a ball again in time !!!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Update !
Had pre op on tues, they asked a million questions took a wee sample and lots of blood samples but all fine !

I need to measure all my furniture at home as I can only sit at a certain height.... They are also giving me a raised toilet seat !! Anymore info on this ?? Will I need help going to the toilet ?

At work the physio team have put a full recovery program together for after making sure I do things right and don't rush back - very supportive as the physio used to work in an orthopaedic hospital

Just under a month to go !!!!

They are also giving me a raised toilet seat !! Anymore info on this ?? Will I need help going to the toilet ?
Measure your toilet - you may not need a raised seat unless it is lower than a standard chair height. I didn't need one for my recent THR. And no, you won't need help - they will work with you while you are in hospital on all this. By the time you are discharged you will be moving around on your own - including up and down stairs.

Worry not! Not long now!

I will be with you each step (pun intended) my THR is scheduled for December 17th! I hope to return to basketball, as you do soccer/football. Best wishes.

@sandyharman - as Jacey says you should be independent with stairs, toilet etc before you leave hospital. That's one of the reasons for all the measuring - it will be easier to get on/off a slightly higher toilet or chair - as well as keeping you within any 90 degree restrictions. I had a raised toilet frame with handles and although I was horrified when I first saw it I grew to love the ugly damn thing because it made my life so much easier and meant I was independent in those personal moments

I will be with you each step (pun intended) my THR is scheduled for December 17th! I hope to return to basketball, as you do soccer/football. Best wishes.

Thanks for all the tips again people !
kfen good to talk with someone of similar age and ambition so keep in touch !

Will keep you all posted !!

In at 07.00 tomorrow!!!
Feeling good and very positive !!

just a little concerned how I feel after- step into the unknown !!

Good luck! You're on the home straight now.

Best wishes @sandyharman, we will be here waiting for your all important first post surgery update :)

By now you are on the other side! Well done! Looking forward to your updates!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022