THR Need Help Sleeping post-THR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knot07NoW

Country
United States United States
I had my right hip done on January 19th of this year; I'm 64 years old. My surgeon was great. I spent 3 days in the hospital and 4 days in rehab. I'm going back to work (desk job) this coming Monday. The problem I've had since the surgery is sleeping. I used the pillows in the hospital, in rehab and am still sleeping (what sleep I get) with pillows under my legs. I've also only had 2 days since the surgery that I was able to walk normally. Most days I limp along; it's not pain-related, it's just that my right leg doesn't seem to be strong enough. I'm a little concerned with the walking as it's also hard for me to get started walking after sitting only 10 or 15 minutes. Does anyone have any advice as to what I can do to get a full night's sleep and, is it "normal" to still have trouble walking after almost 3 months?

Hi, I had my second hip replacement on Jan. 19 too! I also have very weak leg muscles and continue to use a cane when I am tired or out and about, I don' use it much around the house. I am working closely with my PT on strengthening and balance exercises, nothing too strenuous but they do help, and it is a slow process. One of my therapists told me today that at this stage post-op that too much sitting can really make one stiff, it's very important to be moving about a lot now.

Welcome! It is absolutely normal to have trouble getting started walking after a sit -- for MONTHS!! There's that initial stagger, the hitch in the step, the little "ow that didn't feel good" effect-- when I was post op, it was a great topic of discussion. As was the wonderful moment when you first realized that you were walking away smoothly. For me, that took about 8 months. I functioned fine before that, but all the little details that fall into place well after you think "this must be as good as it gets" are so liberating!
Limping may mean you could still use the help of a cane. Some of us spend much time analysing our post op gait in order to straighten up and fly, er, walk right.
Many desk job people have found that having a good supply of ice packs at work was the only thing that kept them going. Sit on it, put it in your lap, whatever helps :)
Sleep problems are inevitable, and will fade with time. Everyone's schedule of getting back their normal sleep is different. Those like me who can't remember the last time they had a good night's sleep anyway--probably notice sleep disruptions less :lol: we nap as much as we can during the day, grin, and whine about it!
Explore the forum-- it is overflowing with good stuff!

My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!

Thanks for the great suggestions and, especially, the support. I don't now anyone who's had hip replacement surgery so it's hard to get them to understand what I'm going through. My husband's been a great help, but I sometimes think he expects me to be better than I am right now. I'm so glad I found this site; it's good to have people to go to who are experiencing the same thing and sharing their knowledge. Thanks to you all, I know that this will be a better day!

@Knot07NoW welcome to BoneSmart and well done on your THR! Sleep problems post-op are the most complained about subject on this board. Here's a link from our Library about it: Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

I'm also going to leave you with our official recover articles. They are great to refer back to during this process. Be sure and come back with any questions you might have.
First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

is it "normal" to still have trouble walking after almost 3 months? Most days I limp along; it's not pain-related, it's just that my right leg doesn't seem to be strong enough.
Yes it can be. Everyone's different.

I'm going to ask you some questions and it would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
aflagsforworship.co.uk_jo_pic_images_nonofisss.gif
)
Also don't forget to include other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

5. what kind of PT exercises and exercises at home are you doing? How much and how often? (and detailed details would be appreciated, please! **Reps, sets and sessions** and all that)

** If you're not familiar with this, it goes like so:
1 lift of your leg = 1 rep (repetition)
5 reps and then a brief rest = 1 set
5 sets and finishing = 1 session.

I'm going back to work (desk job) this coming Monday.
I think it sounds like you are not ready to return to work but I'll say more when you've answered my questions.

Thanks for your help. My answers are:

1. Posterior
2. If I'm sitting or standing, my pain level is 1; when I'm walking it's 2 (more sore than pain)
3. I haven't taken any pain meds for the past 6 weeks. I'm only taking aspirin and iron pills twice a day.
4. I started doing light housework, cooking and shopping one month ago. My husband does the heavy work and most of the shopping (he takes care of the grocery shopping and I do the mall mainly to get some walking in).
5. I'm doing the exercises, twice a day, that I was given when I left rehab; there are 8 exercises with 30 reps each. I don't know the names of all of the exercises; a few are gluteal squeezes, hip abduction (backlying), straight leg raises.

Hi Knot - are you walking without a cane or with one? If you aren't using a cane and still limping maybe you need the help of a cane. I think it could take a while for your gait to improve...especially if you had been limping for a long time! Also, are you putting the pillow between your two legs? I have been sleeping on my un-operated side with a pillow between both legs and it seems to be working ok. Is it that you can't get comfortable or are not sleepy? Maybe you could try Melatonin or Tylenol PM?

I had ongoing stiffness with my first hip replacement and it was about the seven month period before everything fell into place. Funny I never had the same problem with the second hip and that was the one that failed me.
Keep using cane and see if this will help, I also put my pillow between my legs and kept using it for about six months after my first op, again I didn't use this method for long after my second, mmmmm mind boggles.
Hang in there Knot

Billy

I haven't used a cane for about a week now; hoping that was over, but I guess I'll go back to it for awhile. I do sleep with a pillow between my legs. Having read the responses to my "how can I sleep" question, it seems that my biggest issue is not giving this time. I appreciate all of your suggestions and knowing that it can take months to get moving is a big help. I know that this surgery is done quite often, but until I found you all on this site, I didn't know anyone who had had hip surgery. Thank you all for your support and I will follow your suggestions.

2. If I'm sitting or standing, my pain level is 1; when I'm walking it's 2 (more sore than pain)
Does that include other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness
3. I haven't taken any pain meds for the past 6 weeks.
Okay.
4. I started doing light housework, cooking and shopping one month ago. My husband does the heavy work and most of the shopping
That was too soon.
5. I'm doing the exercises, twice a day, that I was given when I left rehab; there are 8 exercises with 30 reps each
Well, I suggest you stop doing them. Hips actually don't need much exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess. The very best therapy is walking.

The soreness, aching and stiffness I have most of the time when I'm walking. I don't have a problem with burning, stabbing or throbbing. I did have a few hours yesterday morning when I was pain, soreness, aching and stiffness free so it looks like the exercises, as you point out, aren't needed. Getting outside to walk has been difficult here (I live in Buffalo, NY and we still have some nasty snow heaps around), but I have been trying to get out to the malls to walk around. Getting back to work will be a help; the way my office is set up I can alternate between sitting and standing and I have the opportunity several times during the day to walk around. I will knock off the exercises, lighten up on the housework and get out to walk. Thanks so much for your help.

When I saw my surgeon for my 12 week check, he told me that that stiffness on starting would last awhile, but not to be concerned about it. He said it takes several months for that to go away, and one day, you'll realize that it's not there anymore. I see mine, at around 14 weeks, not as stiff on starting as it was.
I was very frustrated with my slow healing time and my slowness at getting on with things. I was struggling with a cane, and I found a crutch more supportive for me. I only used one, but it kept me from limping. My stiffness was in my groin muscle, primarily, and it seemed to take forever to right itself.
I found swimming (adaptive swimming with more walking and stair work) to help me a lot, as did acupuncture. I still think I'd be hobbling around without acupuncture. I plan to go right back into it as soon as my doctor says I can after hip 2 on April 24. I was stunned at how it loosened those tight muscles up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Lizardtails
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom