TKR Young Total Knee Replacement - Athlete Recovery

Miemczyk

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi all,

First time caller, long time listener here.

I had a right total knee replacement on 09/09/2021 and currently approaching 5 months post op.

A bit of background:
I’m 34 years old and have had four previous knee surgeries (scopes and micro fracture), one Achilles tendon rupture surgery (same leg) and suffered osgood-schlatter as a child. During my 34 years, I’ve played a number of sports and have represented my country for 14 years and played semi professional rugby when younger.

I’ve been fighting a replacement for about 5 years but gave in when I became unable to walk without pain and a substantial limp last year.

I am now attempting to get back playing in the Senior European Championships later this year. I wouldn’t be so far on this recovery journey without the guidance available on this site - so massive thank you.

Good luck all.

Ryan

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Miemczyk , I am very impressed and inspired! I'm 2 months today into my RTKR and have been pushing hard in my rehab, occasionally wondering if I'm overdoing it but the knee hasn't cried uncle just yet (the left knee though has been suffering and will soon enough be replaced too, hopefully in March.)

You're going to inspire me to push harder at the gym and work towards fulfilling yet unfulfilled dreams. Thanks for sharing your journey and good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Young partial knee replacement person here! I just hit 35 and had both knees partially replaced within the last year. It's been an adventure so far haha.

Now I'm curious. You said you want to continue doing sports. What kind? Aren't you worried about wearing off your implant fast? See, that's my biggest fear that also make me question whether I should go back into HIT training. I do noooot want another surgery (revision) anytime soon.

So young, but I totally understand! My knees had ruled my life for a good part of my 65 years! I started having knee problems in high school, and it went on from there with 3 surgeries by the time I was 22. #4 and #5 have been my TKR's, and I had them done within 9 months of each other! Mine should last me out, God willing.
If I had them replaced in my 30's, I would have resumed my life to the fullest!Time goes by too fast! Enjoy those knees, use them, and if you need new ones in your late 60's, so be it!!
Take care!!

Hi Miemczyk yes 34 s young but i can totally relate. I was very active participating in Kickboxing and Jiujitsu for over 20 years until my right knee began to suffer form multiple cartilage damage. I am now 10 months post medial PKR at 48 years old. I am still struggling with this knee and my surgeon has told me if there is no improvement at 12 months then further surgery may be needed. If it comes to having a TKR then so be it. Life is short and we should be able to live it. Keep going Miemczyk and i hope you get back to full fitness.

We would be pleased to have you document your recovery here on BoneSmart. You're correct that our younger members need to hear from others their age who are successfully getting their life back after joint replacements. While your approach to recovery may not work for everyone (even all of the younger members), as long as a person is cautious, listens to their body, and doesn't try to work through any pain or swelling that might accompany a more aggressive therapy program, the information you provide could be helpful. We actually have quite a few younger members who may want to talk with you.

Hi @Miemczyk, I hope your recovery is going well. I am also interested in returning to sports and would be interested in updates as you progress!

I'm sure @Shortstuff26 would be interested in following your story as well.

Your replacement was 10 days after mine. There are many who would enjoy reading about your recovery.

It’s a small world after all @Susie-Q……..I actually do follow @Miemczyk recovery through Instagram and he is doing great! What he is physically able to do is impressive and inspiring!

Hi all,

Just wanted to check back in and let people know how it’s going.

I’m 8 month post op and things are really good. I completed a 10k event today in 46:24, back within 10% of almost all PBs, and managed to get back to playing my sport. I also completed the Yorkshire 3 Peaks in 8 hours, and have been selected for the European Championships at masters level.

I’ve got a couple of other challenges coming up over next few months, so will report back here after these.

As a few people have pointed out, all the videos and pictures of my rehab are on social media sites, so feel free to take a look there, but due to forum regulations, please try to keep any chatter to this forum.

Take care!

Ryan
@YoungTotalKneeReplacement

I too lost my first knee yo rugby at 21…..

Ryan....what a great update. Are your videos and photos on Instagram? Twitter? I would like to take a look.

Instagram. The account name is found in my post above.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
IceWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom