What pre-op exercises should I do?

Fittwinn

Country
United States United States
Hello! I just found this forum and have read quite a few posts that have been helpful but am wondering what others did prior to shoulder replacement surgery to help post surgery rehab.
I have been in physical therapy on and off for about 4 years, trying to postpone the surgery, and have learned quite a few exercises. I perform scapula retractions with tubing and with dumbbells, bought a pulley system ( but can't hardly raise my bad arm to parallel to the ground now ) and have been lying on a foam roller with it down my spine and performing ROM with my arm starting at my hip and moving in a half circle motion until my hand is over my head. All of these exercises have become tremendously hard to perform since the ROM of motion is restricted by extreme cracking/popping and straight up pain. Should I just continue all of these and let pain be my guide? I just want to do as much as possible to help my recovery!
P.S. My total shoulder replacement is scheduled September 12th.

Thanks so much!

Hi, Fittwinn and welcome to BoneSmart. I'm glad you found our forum and decided to join.

I would definitely recommend that you stop any exercises you're doing with weights or any that cause cracking, popping or pain in your shoulder as you risk doing more damage than good at this point. The goal will be to have any inflammation and pain in that shoulder minimized when you head into surgery in a couple of weeks.

Instead, spend your time and effort planning for your recovery following your shoulder replacement. Normally you'll be in an immobilization brace for a full six weeks. This means you're basically one-handed for that entire time. It can be a bit of a challenge, but it's so very important in the healing process.

You might want to get your home prepared for recovery and put up some frozen meals that are easy to fix. I bought some "aids" like a battery operated can opener, a couple of different grabber tools and some super large t-shirts and shorts to wear. It will be difficult to dress yourself with that arm immobilized.

If it is comfortable for you to use, you can still do the pulley exercises to keep your arm mobile. Just don't cause yourself anything more than mild discomfort as you're doing the movements.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kneelythere
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom