What do they do for you in outpatient PT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's true about doing my own pt, occasions arise all day and I try to make the most of them.

6/1/10 rtkr

It's amazing what exercises you can do at home with a chair, a flight of stairs, some woods to walk in,a bag of potatoes and a bed.

It's the UK practice to NOT use PT's either at home or in hospital, and it seems to work a treat. We just seem to recover steadily without major difficulties. I can't be sure, but the gentle approach seems to reduce the reliance on pain meds much earlier than using the "torturer" type of PT. I'd stopped using pain killers after about 4 weeks, but still take a low dose of anti-inflammatories (because I still abuse my knee after 7 months)

I really think PT success depends entirely on what you need and what the office may offer. I went to outpatient PT for my first TKR and it was stupid. They just had me repeat what I was already doing at home (and I had a great exercise bike at home that I used for hours a day). No pool, no massage, no real help. They treated me like I was a layabout that was trying to stay off work. I quit after 7 sessions and never went back.

I never went to PT for my other TKR.

My ROM is great for both knees, and while I wished I had had access to things like a pool or other therapies, I recovered just as well without PT. The frustration was too great for me--I hated spending the money to simply repeat what I was doing at home.

However, I DID spend my money on other therapies that helped me a great deal at integrating my new knees and re-learning how to walk "normally" and use my legs and body differently. THAT was money well spent and worth its weight in gold.

Weezy

I hope this question is ok here, it seems related. If not, please let me know where I should post it!

I have my 6 week checkup next week. In reading Susan's post, I too was going to find a place close to home for convenience sake. But, should I be looking for anything (services wise) in particular? I was thinking a place that had a pool would be nice as I took a class pre-surgery for people awaiting hip or knee surgery and the exercises were much easier in the pool. But is it necessary at this point? I don't know. In looking around at various websites of PT places in my area, they all seem to be about the same.

Any suggestions? I am a bit gun-shy about it as I chose my rehab center based on location and it was a mistake. I was the youngest person there overall and it seemed I was the only one with a mission to get better and go home. I wonder if I had done more research if I would have had a better experience.

Thanks!!

Hi Rosalie....I guess who you choose depends on what you're looking for. If a pool or water therapy isn't available (I would have LOVED to have had that available! I had it for earlier knee surgeries and loved it), then I would say talk to the therapists in the offices and see what their normal practices are, then compare that to what YOU want from PT.

Personally, I think the ones who give one-on-one attention with treatments that you can't do at home (massage, etc.) and more than just supervised exercise time are probably better.

But overall, I'd recommend you follow your gut--do you like the place? The people? Do they want to help and recognize your determination or do they treat you like you're an idiot who doesn't want to recover?

Do you want aggressive bend-at-all-costs PT or more of the gentle, give-it-time type? Do you need help with re-learning how to walk "normally" as you heal and improve?

We're all different and have different needs during the healing process. Pay attention to what feels right for you and go with that. And if you get into a place that you decide you don't like, CHANGE. :) You're in charge!

Weezy

Rosalie,

I have loved therapyin the pool. Also, I wanted a place where I would be respected as an athlete. I took an afternoon and walked into three places---the atmosphere was different in each one. I choose the one where I felt comfortable and I have never looked back---they have helped me rehab both my knees and it has been a wonderful experience for me. I had 12 weeks of pt and am now working with an athletic trainer for 12 weeks. I am getting much stronger now and am glad that I have had the opportunity to work out like I have. Kelly

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
TommyM
Recent bookmarks