Tramadol

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazz6661

Hi everyone,

My general practicioner just perscribed me Tramadol after an office visit today. I had been taking ibuprofin, tylenol and aleve but they all really mess with my stomach (I have an ulcer). He suggested that this wouldn't. I took one already and it has helped a small amount. I'm wondering if this is a drug that builds up in your system or if it is something I can take only when the pain is really bad. I plan to take it at bedtime perhaps to help me sleep better. Anyone else on this that can answer some of my questions? Thank you! :thankyou:

I don't think I can answer your question, but I can tell you that Tramadol has worked nicely for me for both my THRs. I also have terrible stomach problems with ibuprofen and naproxen, and even Tylenol when I take it long-term, but I do fine with Tramadol. I also do fine with Celebrex, but I'm hoping I won't need it anymore. I've been on the Tramadol now for almost 4 weeks with no problems. I have several friends who have taken it long-term (years) without problems. Are you asking whether you could just use it occasionally, like an aspirin, when a sudden problem crops up? I can't see why not.

I would suggest that if you are going to take it at bedtime to knock out pain and help you sleep, you might do better with 100 gr. rather than 50. But experiment and see what works best for you.

After my first THR, I did really well, but when I tried to wean off all my drugs at 3 months out, it didn't work. I finally went back on Celebrex for several months more. Rather than stop cold turkey, I tapered off with one pill every other day for a month. Finally went completely drug free at 7 months out. Chris, I'm wondering why you're still having so much pain. Is this from your LTHR, or are you having other issues?

Sharon

Whoops....just realized your THR date is still in the future! No wonder you're in pain. Duh!! But I think everything I said still makes sense. Tramadol works well....you may need to experiment with dosage, especially to help you sleep. Celebrex is another one to try (but more expensive....and you have an ulcer history so that is probably a no-no.) Yeah....stick with the Tramadol for a while and see if you can make it work.

Chris, Tramadol is the only thing that helped me even a little bit when I was suffering from OA before my surgery. And now, 7 weeks post-surgery, I have stopped taking the very strong oxycodone and gone back on Tramadol. I don't think it builds up, I think its effects are immediate. I love it -- I can take very little (50mg) and it really works. Good luck!

I agree with Sharon and debkakes.

I have had a good experience with Tramadol, and you are pre-surgery, so holy cow, you must be in pain; I think as Sharon said 100mg might be what you need - esp at bedtime. I haven't felt any "lingering" effects of Tramadol. It worked for me, and I didn't have to use it for long.

Good Luck; a month to go!

Alicia

Annie, please don't give medical advice on here. You have not been cleared by me to do so. As a result, I have edited your post.

Jazz tramadol is dynamite its in the morphine family, it worked wonders for me when i was off the pain meds after my hip replacemeny back in April, from what i understand it does NOT build up in your system, like aleve, although i could be wrong. :angel:

I too took tramadol for the first to weeks after my LTHR. It worked very well. I was told it is a fairly strong pan killer. I am on paracetemol right now, as my pain is milder. Hope your surgery goes very well.

Tramadol is a synthesised form of morphine so lacks a lot of the problem effects like respiratory depression, allergic reactions and has less tendency to dependency issues.

Did you know you can take paracetamol with it and that it enhances the analgesic effect whilst not increasing the drowsiness? Now THAT combo rocks!

I think the combo is called tramecet. That is what I took post op and it worked like magic.
Titac LTHR 14th July 2012.

That combo does sound good, Josephine. The Tramadol did make me sleepy, and I still had issues with nausea.

I can drink wine, but I can't take pills evidently.

:cheers:

Strange, Tramadol does nothing for me--I might as well take a sugar pill. Luckily, I can take the NSAID's like ibuprofen and naproxyn without stomach problems, liver problems, or kidney problems and they work great for my pain. Actually, since my surgeon told me I could take ibuprofen on a regular basis for the muscle tear problem, I'm finding that the ibuprofen works better for that pain than the oxycodone did!

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Regardless, I hope the tramadol works for your pain. That pre-surgery arthritis pain is no fun and it's harder to find relief rom that than it is for the post surgical pain.

Dorothy

Thanks everyone. The Tramadol does seem to work for me (thank God)! I've been trying to ration them because I only received 60 pills and I have one month to go. I have started using a cane full time now and that helps as well. I'm glad to know that it doesn't build up in my system and it just works when I take it.

Glad to hear that it is working for you! :yay: It didn't seem to bring me much relief unless I took more than prescribed which I didn't want to do. The only thing that seems to work for me is 1) steroid injections 2) Narcotics or 3) Ice. Best is all 3! But it is not a long term fix. That is why I have opted for the THR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Plerea
Recent bookmarks