Toot toot!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gknee

Country
United States United States
Toot toot! I'm tooting my own horn. I had a TKR 5 weeks ago. It's been a long hard road. During physical therapy today I was able to bend it to 95 degrees. The therapist then got it to 105 degrees. Yippee!

My last OS appointment I was only at 85 degrees. She got on my case about working harder. I thought it wasn't that bad considering I don't have a CPM at home and I had only 6 in home pt appointments. It had been two weeks since I had been on my own. My outpatient pt had not started yet. (I have a HMO, don't ya love them?) She gave me a goal of reaching 110 in three weeks, which was my next OS appointment.

I was at 115 degrees before surgery. I'm not sure what my extension was or is now. I haven't been able to straighten my knee for over 5+ years.

So I have to get to 110 in two weeks. I think I might just make it. Toot toot! So I'm tooting my horn. Do you think I can make it?

Of course you can!:thmb: Just keep a positive attitude and after exercising, Ice, elevate, and rest! It will happen before you know it:wink:

She gave me a goal of reaching 110 in three weeks, which was my next OS appointment.

Don't be forced into targets by bullying PT's. Targets are dangerous and pretty meaningless. Have you read all the recent threads on here about this sort of thing, which often results in pain, swelling, and reduced ROM. It's not necessary, but some PT's don't seem to understand.

Be gentle with yourself, you've got something like a year or more before your ROM stops improving.

Vacsnew knee has got it right, you'll get there in your own good time, you don't need this to get there quickly. Try too hard and you'll be back with us asking why your knee is swollen, painful, and your ROM has gone down.

You are doing really well, but don't push it.

I realise I keep on recommending the UK practice, which is no PT just gentle exercise on your own, but we get there just as quickly without all this pushing.

Do it in your own good time, ignore your PT:thmb:

Gknee said:
So I have to get to 110 in two weeks. I think I might just make it. Toot toot! So I'm tooting my horn. Do you think I can make it?
At five weeks? What's the rush? You would make it eventually even if you didn't fall for this ridiculous competitive streak your PT has. Don't fall for it! Nice and easy does it. You have ages to get there. No need to do it all in 7 weeks. If you get there in 7 months it will still be fine.

Or have they sold you that line about 'make it in 6 weeks or your knee will set like concrete and never move again'? Cus that's so much twaddle!

However, I will still toot your horn because you're showing such commitment and joy!!! Good on yer!

Great progress!!! I'll second what the others have said. Go slow. Pushing too hard will only make for swelling which will inhibit ROM. Take your time and don't let anyone tell you that you won't get there....you WILL!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JWS
Recent bookmarks
Back