Round two complete!

Status
Not open for further replies.

1jt@atime

supremo
Country
United States United States
Hi everyone. I had my second knee replacement on Monday, came home yesterday and everything is great. The difference between this one and the first knee is like the difference between day and night. On the day of surgery, I was able to lift my leg, unassisted and stretch it out to the side. Even today, I can walk without crutches around the house! My ROM is 95 and 15. I did not get to this point for over a month with the first knee and I am quite amazed. This knee wasn’t as bad as the first but the BIG difference, from what I have gathered is the surgeon did not cut the tendons and the incision is smaller. He did cut the quad muscle. My home physical therapist just came and she too was quite amazed. I had such a hard, hard time the first go round that I can’t tell you how pleased I am with the results. This was the same surgeon though he’s changed his techniques and I can’t tell you how pleased I am. (I think I already said that!)

I am on Norco and I’ve only taken three pills in the 24 hours that I’ve been home. Still couldn’t sleep last night but that’s expected, especially since my back doesn’t like me sleeping on it and it’s kind of hard to sleep any other way. The back is holding up fairly well as that was a big concern of mine.

I also had a manipulation on the first knee. I was at about 15-20 on the extension and had to use my quad muscles to stand. It was very difficult to stand for any length of time. He was able to straighten it a bit more and now I am at 5. The extension has gone from 115 pushing really hard to 120 without effort. I had a lot of stiffness and pain in the joint and it seems to have disappeared though it’s still a little early in the game to make a final decision on this.

I know there are many others going in for knee replacement this week and I can only hope you get the same results. Not cutting the tendons seems to have made all the difference in the world for me. Celebration time for me!!! Karen

I'm pleased for you too, Karen.

Hey Karen, glad your back and finding success on the other side. BTW welcome to the world of doubles.

Great news Karen! I have been thinking of you and hoping all was well--- and it is so good to hear it is better than that! Keep doing all the right things and I hope your recovery continues as great as it has begun!

Thanks everyone. Other people have reported successful recoveries like this and I couldn't imagine that it were possible after the first knee replacement. I am happy to say that it is possible. I was sooooo worried about my back acting up as I've often said my back pain after the first replacement was worse then the knee pain. I actually sat at the table and had dinner with my family tonight. It took several weeks before I could do that with the first replacement. I actually feel like I'm on the road to feeling almost human again!!!! I won't think about the ankle and hip problems I've got but with two good knees....well what can I say!

I remember being taken into the surgical suite and the anesthetist standing there greeting me with a needle in his hand like he was ready to give it to me. I was like, wow, you don't waste time, do you! We had a laugh. I also woke a couple of times during the surgery and heard some sawing, drilling..not sure which. I was still heavily drugged and it didn't quite click that it drilling/sawing on me at first but all was good. The anesthetist simply said they were almost done. Never heard the surgeon talking.

Hi Karen,

I am so pleased your surgery went so well for you and that your back is holding up. Sorry I didn't get to wish you well before, my computer was off line almost 2 weeks and my mum has been here, she just went back Tuesday night. We had a lovely visit. I am very tired though as she is also disabled so had to help her too. We looked a right pair together hobbling around Ha ha!!

I hope you continue to make good progress with both your knees Karen, keep up the good work.That is good to hear also that your MUA went well too as I think I will be having one soon. My ROM is only at 93, so still can't do stairs or get out the car easily or bend down, or cross my leg to put socks on etc. It is still stiff as a board and swollen, though swelling is down a bit now. I am about 21 weeks now, so should be better than that. Still, I am pain free in my new knee and it is quite strong now. Getting a cortizone injection in my other knee when I see my OS on 24th June.

I am still gradually getting off my Percs. Down to a quarter 4 hourly. It has been a hard long slog, and I still have really bad sessions if I don't take it on time, but I will get through it. I am so hoping I won't need to take Percs after my MUA. I hope to take two extra strength Advil instead.

Gosh I have missed you all. I have a ton of old threads to read, but I will be going away to the trailer tomorrow until Sunday, so will catch up more on Monday I hope. Our second grandchild is due by C-section on Thursday 19th, but our daughter in law is in the hospital now as she has high blood pressure. She is hoping to be home tomorrow all being well, they put her on BP pills.

I hope all you other new knee people had a successful surgery too, I have to check back now to find out.

Anyway, Happy Fathers Day to all you guys out there and all your partners etc on Sunday!!

Love and (((((((((((hugs))))))))))) to you all. Sue

Hi Sue, I am so glad that you had a good visit with your mum. It's hard at this point when they live so far away, as does mine and you aren't sure how their health is going to hold up, let alone ours, huh? I'm planning to visit my mother in Kansas City in July before returning to work.

I think you really do need to push for the MUA. ROM of 93 is just not enough for the day to day stuff. I am so pleased that I did mine. I probably wouldn't have if I hadn't been in for the second kr but boy, this little bit of manipulation has made a big difference in this knee, especially for the flex which was my big deal. It almost feels like a real knee!

We have missed your posts too and I'm glad that you will soon be back with a working computer. Hang in there! Karen

Karen,
It's so good to hear about all your good results. That is very encouraging. I'm also very happy to hear the manipulation on the other knee seems to be an improvement. I remember seeing your bent knee. I guess they'll match now, huh? Hopefully, when you're walking normally again, it will take the pressure off of your back, too.

I just finished my last commute today. You should be thankful you were not on D.C. this week. Every day has been an adventure. There have been rail buckles, derailments, and today electrical failure in the heart of downtown that affected almost the entire Metro system. Count your blessings, girl!

Congrats to your newly graduated daughter, also. I hope she's being a good nurse.

Kee posting and let us know how you are progressing.
Sharon

Karen, I'm so happy for your success. You keep hanging in there and have a super recovery this go around. Sounds like this one is going to be much easier and that both your knees have great ROM. I'm so proud of you!

Sharon, You are right, I picked the right week not to travel into DC. I've heard all the power outages and derailments have been awlful! I've been thinking about how short you are getting! I hope everything is good to go at home and your husband is ready to wait on you hand and foot. He may not realize just how much you are going to need with a bilat. My husband took this week off so I've had him and Chelsea helping me out. He needs to find a new place to sleep now that we know I'm okay at night so that he can get a good night's sleep. He's such a light sleeper and hears everything.

Thanks for the well wishes Skeet. The physical therapist today measuered 98 and 4 so I think that's pretty darn good for day 4. I guess I earned it after the first knee. I didn't see 98 for about 5 weeks with that one. I do have a LOT of bruising and swelling going on and I have been using the Polar Ice machine I ordered off Ebay and that has worked great. The ice packs from the drug store just weren't enough the first go round. I'm also maintaining a low grade fever just as I did the first time so I've got to keep a close eye on that.

I'm going to get the hubby to take some pics tommorrow when I remove the lovely, stylish, white socks for awhile. Boy do my legs look forward to that airing each day! He's kind of confused as to why I would want to post pics of my legs on the Internet. Of course, he's not seen everyone elses! Thanks for the well wishes. Karen

I do have a LOT of bruising and swelling going on and I have been using the Polar Ice machine

I tried to find one of those machines on eBay but kept getting outbid. It must have been for a reason, though, because they told me at the hospital that they would give me one if I asked for it, courtesy of my insurance co.

I'm going to get the hubby to take some pics tommorrow when I remove the lovely, stylish, white socks for awhile. Boy do my legs look forward to that airing each day! He's kind of confused as to why I would want to post pics of my legs on the Internet. Of course, he's not seen everyone elses!

I asked my hubby to bring my camera to the hospital next week, and he looked at me like I'd swalled an alien! I just told him knees were thicker than blood.

P.S. Karen: Your girls are beautiful! I just posted a pic from the wedding last weekend.

Sharon, I got the first machine I bid on and I think I paid $35 with postage for it. It's working well. My hospital used the DonJoy Iceman. They didn't offer the machine but I was able to take the pads home for a backup to the machine I have. Of course they couldn't reuse the pads. You might want two machines for the bilats! The only thing I don't like about these machines is that they ice only the front of the knee and I find the back side needs it just as much as the front. I end up folding up an ice pack for the back.

Did you show your hubby the pics that have been posted of everyone's knees?

Saw the wedding pic. Very nice! Didn't they have the reception outside on that very hot day?

Thanks about the girls. I'm really lucky. They are good kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads