• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Revision TKR Revision #7

NFenske

Country
United States United States
Alright it's official Revision #7 is scheduled for Dec.13th. I hope this will be it counting this surgery I will be at 19 do not want anymore enough is enough.

OP
OP
N

NFenske

Country
If there is one thing about my upcoming surgery that scares me it would be getting an infection. I had one after my 4th revision and the thought of going thru that again is bugging me. I am well aware the risk is relatively minor but in comparison to someone who has never had an infection a lot greater. Not worried about my surgeon or in my case surgeons but there is always that chance. The chance maybe small but it is a fear. Now as far as the rest of it yes its going to be painful, lack of sleep, trying to get comfortable, getting ROM back ( my ROM even with 6 replacements is 132 last time checked ), PT at home and then outpatient, etc that does not bother me just the chance of infection does.

lovetocookandsew

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Why have you needed so many revisions? Do they keep loosening, getting infected, or????? Just wondering. Best wishes on the 13th-hoping this one's the charm and you never need another!

OP
OP
N

NFenske

Country
I really wish I could answer the reason why I have no idea? The reason for the 3rd rev. too big of a space between the joint the 4th was due to increasing amount of pain and swelling ( in hindsight was probably a sign that infection was developing ) 2 weeks after the 4th developed full blown infection back in hospital had replacement removed and cleaned also had a PICC line in arm ( no fun ) approx 3 months later still had an infection back to the hospital and had a spacer put in for 4 months finally rev#5 after a year or so pain was not going away in fact going the other way went to different surgeon did a bone scan knee was glowing also did an xray found out the prosthetic was put in wrong you would never know if you only looked at my left knee but both together right and left the left was off about an inch compared to right I was sent to see current surgeon he said not a problem since he deals with tumor patients. The reason for this next one I have noticed my knee cap is fairly loose compared to the right 2 weeks ago I dislocated my knee and had to got to ER. Went back to surgeon he said the prosthetic part that goes over tibia area has worn out and needs to be fixed. Found out yesterday they do not have to replace the entire prosthetic on the tibia side the flat piece of plastic gets replaced on the femur side that has to come out and a new one put in. This is new prosthetic I am getting:

lovetocookandsew

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
:yikes: You've certainly been through it. I am sending my best wishes and prayers that you have an event-less surgery and recovery this time around, and that this fixes the problem once and for all.

OP
OP
N

NFenske

Country
This may seem I am being pessimistic but considering this will make a total of 19 surgeries on this left knee going by the history since 2003 odds are not in my favor. Whats even dumber is at the very start I had a torn meniscus. Do not get me wrong I sure as hell hope this is it but even if it is I know I am still going to have a pain in this knee due to all the surgeries. All I am hoping for is to get my pain level down to a 4 and I would be happy. Now I am averaging without doing anything a 5 plus add some walking keep it bent too long etc it climbs up to a very steady 6. Like I wrote a 4 would be great but time will tell.

amymhere

Country
Keeping you in my thoughts! I'm wishing you the best outcome and a successful recovery. Hang in there!

amymhere

Country
I'm going for my first revision. I need a larger spacer and they will try to put a button on my kneecap. They did not do it initially because it is too small and they did not want to risk it but now they think they should try because I'm in pain. My surgery is not until March.

You've really had a rough time! I'm so sorry. I do hope this one works out better.

OP
OP
N

NFenske

Country
The countdown has started!! not counting today 5. What a day to have a surgery Friday the 13th !! Plus its right before Christmas even better I can hardly wait constant pain being on crutches ( forearm ) knee nice and swollen it will be great.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
LIFELADY
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom