THR New RTHR - 6th August

Status
Not open for further replies.
Orthodoc,

BTW, I know that this thread is getting long, but FYI, I was feeling/hearing the "thudding" almost from right after the surgery, even in the hospital, and had been mentioning it in all of my visits to the original OS, including my last one, which was at about 1+ years post-the-surgery. His answer was always the same, literally every time I asked about this... need to "wait awhile longer".

Yes, those were the studies that I was talking about. Based on what you have written, I an not sure of the source of the "thudding." This is not a common complaint after hip replacement. Have any of the surgeons recommended revision surgery for this?

Orthdoc

Hi,

No, none of the 3 OSes that I've seen have recommended, or even suggested revision surgery yet.

There is another OS that I am going to try to schedule an appointment with in our area, in a different practice that is supposedly highly-regarded, both to discuss the pain problems and the continuing thudding.

This doctor claims to be a specialize in revisions and hip pain, or at least that's what his web resume' claims.

Thanks,
Jim

Hi,

BTW, I seem to recall that someone (maybe Josephine?) use to be able to check if, given an OS'es name, an OS was actually appropriate for revisions?

Sorry, one more question: For the problem with the thudding, would they consider that a reason for a revision? I thought that the main reasons for a revision was if there was movement or infection?

Hi,

FYI, amazingly, I was able to get an appointment with that other OS for tomorrow...

Sorry, one more question: For the problem with the thudding, would they consider that a reason for a revision? I thought that the main reasons for a revision was if there was movement or infection?

You are correct, the most common reasons for revision are for specific problems with the components (known loosening, fracture, wear out of the poly, etc...) and infection. However, if there is a significant mechanical issue (like your description), it is reasonable to consider. I am in no way saying that you need a revision surgery. I was curious if the other surgeons had recommended it.

Good luck tomorrow.

Orthodoc

Hi Jim,

Waiting with baited breath to hear how the next OS appointment goes!! :thumb:

Just wondering - if you have your hand on your hip, anyplace, can you "feel" the thudding/movement? So, could you have the OS place their hand there to experience the problem?? Or at the least, to see exactly where you are experiencing the sensation?

Lastly, please don't feel like either a "whiner" or a "wet blanket" for writing about your problems here in the forum -- that's part of the reason it is here, for support!! Your thread is not too long and it's the best place for people to read your story and try to provide answers and support to you. It is also helpful for others to read about what we have experienced because it can help them feel validated about their situation and educated about issues that THR people experience.

Take care,
Cardie

Hi Cardie et al,

Sorry that I haven't posted back earlier. The appointment with the new OS was very disappointing and disheartening, and I've been a bit frustrated about what to do or where to turn to next.

Regarding the thudding, his comment was "I can't hear anything" and then he kind of dismissed it. I couldn't get him to examine much beyond that.

As I said, I'm not sure what to do next. I know that this is going to sound kind of extreme, but my wife is kind of pushing for going overseas, to Korea specifically, to try to get a diagnosis.

I wasn't so enthusiastic about doing that, but I'm getting there, because I think that the thudding is related to my limp/wobbling, which is getting progressively worse.

Sorry for whining again :(...

Jim

Ugh, sorry that this appointment didn't go better Jim!

Let's tag @Josephine and @Orthodoc again in case they have any other ideas or thoughts to share.

In the meantime, a while back you did some more PT. Did your PT person know of the "thudding" and have any comments/ideas on it? Did you find the PT work helpful at all in alleviating any problems?

What are you up to on the nerve block injections? Any help from those??

Take care,
Cardie

Cardie,

Re. PT and "thudding": At the time I went through the PT, the responses I was getting from my OS (the one that did the RTHR) was "wait awhile longer", so I didn't mention it to the PT. That was the same thing he (the OS) said from the beginning to my last visit with him through my last visit which was about 1 year post-op.

And no, I don't think the PT was helpful. The last set of sessions was specifically to try to relieve pain and tightness in my right thigh (I got that order from a physiatrist BTW, not from the OS), and the therapist said that he usually was able to release the tightness in that area in "30 days", but that didn't happen.

I had two nerve block shots. The doctor said that they were "field blocks". Neither shot was effective as far as the pain in that painful spot in my right posterior thigh.

Jim

I am not sure that there is much more that I could add to this at this point.

Orthodoc

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dcytpoti
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back