• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

my new hip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smileydon

Country
Canada Canada
I was waiting to see the surgeon and that is now accomplished.Two new hips coming right up; well not right up - there is a four to six month waiting period. I'm happy to be on the list. Apparently the hip he uses has a nylon insert and a titanium ball,I missed the name of it. My understanding is that it is kind of the generic hip that is used on elderly people and apparently I am one of those. I asked about the ceramic hip that I have heard so much about on this forum and his eyes sort of went up to the ceiling and back to me as he told me that those are not covered by my insurance and that the cost on those is about $3000 each. I kind of agreed with him that free was better and that they will give me what I want (no pain and mobility).

I can live with the restrictions like no running and no moguls and a gentler kinder retirement. The doc is a young man, younger than my son but very serious and intense and when I asked his batting average he told me that he was very very good at doing this and I believed him. He said he does over 150 per year with fewer than 3 giving him a problem. I asked about the split femur that I saw on this forum and he says that is the problem exactly but its fixable and that it just takes longer to heal. I asked him if he was doing anything next Tuesday and that's when he said four to six months. I asked to be put on the cancellation list, signed the papers and now I wait. Today I had the blood tests and ECG and am ready for whatever comes next. I still don't know if I am posting messages properly but here goes.

You are doing fine. Remember you must take care of yourself. If you are needing to ask questions ask away. Being anxious is expected and also nervos. Come here and read or post and you will find that you will calm down. While you are waiting you can get more prepared for this. Now you can start getting ready for the day your life will change and get so much better. Keep coming back, we are a family here and we do care so please keep posting just like your doing. Tashia :bicycle1:

I still don't know if I am posting messages properly but here goes.
Smileydon, I pulled your post out of Danny's thread because I didn't think you were actually replying to him, just posting about yourself. That's fine but you need your own answers so now you have you're own thread, okay?

Apparently the hip he uses has a nylon insert and a titanium ball,I missed the name of it. My understanding is that it is kind of the generic hip that is used on elderly people and apparently I am one of those. I asked about the ceramic hip that I have heard so much about on this forum and his eyes sort of went up to the ceiling and back to me as he told me that those are not covered by my insurance and that the cost on those is about $3000 each.
Well, I can faithfully promise you that there is no such thing as a hip that is only used on elderly people! There are many, many different devices and a lot of them are metal on plastic but they all get used in all age groups and are just as reliable as each other. The metal on plastic is the original 'gold standard' hip which has been in use since the 1970s! Have a look at these two cases, both metal on plastic Hips that have lasted 40 and 32 years and this one which tells about the extreme activity level in some of our previous members Stories of amazing hip recoveries.

btw, I take it you live in the US? You haven't' indicated in your profile..

Hi Smileydon, so glad you are now on the list. I do hope you don't have to wait long.

As Jo says - these hips last a lifetime. When I had my THR I was told I was young for the op. 64 certainly is not old in my book!

Thank you Ms. Josephine, I had no idea I was doing that. I'm still kind of confused on how to post on here. So I take it I continue to ask questions on this thread?

Shoot, Smileydon, you're just a kid. I figured I was going to get the metal ball with the plastic cup, but when I told the doc I babysat for my grandchildren and had to hoist a chunky little girl, I ended up with the ceramic ball. For all I know, most of his patients do.

One good point about having the wait is you will have lots of time to do the pre-op exercises to get yourself in the best possible condition before the surgery. Plus if he's that busy, he must be quite good. So anyway, I'm older than you and am getting along well after having my hip replaced, so you'll likely do the same -- or better. Are you getting both in one operation?

There is enough reading material here to keep you occupied for a while. Personally I read nearly every thread and learned a lot.

Thankyou for putting my posting in the right spot, I'm still learning your system. I live in British Columbia Canada. Ours is a pre-paid medical care plan. We pay so much a mounth for medical care and when we actually need some then the MSA plan (government ) pays for everything. So different from the American system. By generic hip, I mean one that has been approved by the government for this procedure and agreed to by the surgeon to be good. Likely this is the hip that is used here in all but special cases. My surgeon says 20 years at least and I intend to put it to a longer test than that. The ceramic hip is likely produced at a greater cost than our MSA plan is willing to pay for the great mass of Baby Boomers that are currently entering the system. I like the system and I am not trying to be critical. I found the surgeons reaction to my question to be quite comical so I tried to pass that on and I am sure they use a hip that works well, lasting longer than most of us will live. Most of the time I hope that my postings earn a small chuckle as that is how I am bent but its a tough audience to read.

I figured I was going to get the metal ball with the plastic cup, but when I told the doc I babysat for my grandchildren and had to hoist a chunky little girl, I ended up with the ceramic ball. For all I know, most of his patients do.
Surgeons generally use devices according to their personal preferences so that's a certainty! I know surgeons who still use metal on plastic on ALL their patients because that's what THEY prefer to do. Not a lot of difference in the long run. These two people both have metal on plastic which is the original and has a longer track record than any other bearing Hips that have lasted 40 and 32 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
ScaredSilly2024
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom