Miserable....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yukismom, I am amazed that you were able to even be on the computer 2 or 3 days after surgery. At that time I was still in the hospital hallucinating on Fentanyl. I think it is normal to be miserable for awhile, take pain pills to take the misery away, rest, elevate and ice. My mantra is that there is no glory or honor in enduring pain. While the pain persists you should stay on a steady course of your meds.

I have always been very independent so I understand your frustration, but have learned that only time gets you through this - and it is a lot more time than I ever realized.

I hope you are feeling better now. There are many here who understand.

Welcome to the forum and best wishes.

David is right on target!!!! This is 100% "YOU time." Healing is your number one job right now. In time, this recovery will be just a small shred of time in your memory. You have a wonderful life ahead once you are through these challenges.

I have to admit that your post made me smile---you sound exactly like I did after my first tkr--I thought that since I was an athlete that I would be up and running in no time!! Having to face physical weakness and pain is humbling and you really do learn from it too--I am the first person in any room to jump up to help someone with crutches, for instance.

It is hard to be in pain--it makes you grumpy and tired. Pain itself makes you feel weak too. The best thing to do right now is put your leg up on three pillows, ice your knee and take the pain meds on a regular basis. I read alot during this time--and I did learn to knit. Also, my computer was a constant companion. I must have played a thousand games of Spider Solitaire.

In another week or two you can start moving around more and the pain will be managed better then too. For now, find some way to allow yourself to rest. I put graham crackers and little packets of peanut butter beside my bed so that I could eat one when I had to take my meds too--make sure you don't take them on an empty stomach.

We have all been where you are and we are still happy, so take hope. Kelly

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
IceWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back